Operations Director for Small Scale Miners, Mr. Emmanuel Yirenkyi Antwi, has described as sad and unfortunate the extension of the ban on small scale mining.
The Lands and Natural resources, John Peter Amewu, last week Friday announced an extension of the ban on all forms of small scale mining in the country by three months.
According to the Minister, who made the announcement the ban is expected to be lifted by January 2018.
The government earlier in 2017 imposed a six-month ban on small-scale mining as part of efforts to end illegal mining and its related activities, which adversely affected the environment, particularly water bodies and forest reserves.
Some miners in Kumasi some few months ago held a demonstration in protest against any extension.
However, government has extended the ban. This Mr. Antwi believes was unfortunate.
He insisted that small scale miners who are licensed, should not be compared to illegal miners.
He told Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, the extension of the ban, will not arguer well for licensed small scale miners.
He further referred to the extension as discriminatory especially when large scale miners are on the field working.
Small scale miners he said, have contributed immensely to the fight against illegal mining and cannot understand why they are being marginalized.
He used the opportunity to appeal to members to exercise restraint as leadership will engage with government on the issue.
Meanwhile, he has called on the Nana Addo lead administration, to keep the promise he made to small scale miners behind closed doors and stop infringing on their rights.