The Greater Accra Regional Branch of the National Service Personnel Association (NASPA) has given government a seven day-ultimatum to fully assure them that, the increment announced in December 2016, would be implemented.
They have also called on government to tell them the specific amount that has been captured in the budget.
NASPA is also calling on government to come clear on the specific date they intend to have allowance take effect. Thus we are going to be paid the two (2) months arrears should we agree for payment to be made in March. ‘’
They have threatened to either embark on a demonstration, a sit down strike or an indefinite strike action should government fail to address their concerns.
‘’We will advise ourselves if the above concerns are not addressed with the seven days ultimatum given above.’’
The management of the National Service Scheme (NSS) has explained that the scheme could not pay the increased allowance of GH¢559 because the increment was not captured in the government’s November supplementary budget.
A statement from NSS also debunked claims that the NPP government had refused to pay personnel their new allowances which was increased by the previous administration.
The statement from management also called on personnel to be patient as government was considering capturing the payment in the budget.
“The said increment which was announced on 14th December 2016, were not captured by the November, 2016 supplementary budget.” The new government is making considerations to make the increment reflect in the March 2017 national budget.
But NASPA has questioned if the increment will indeed reflect as promised.
President of NASPA, Greater Accra Region, Kojo S.A Danquah addressing the press on Tuesday said although management has agreed to initiate payment of allowance to reflect any increment initially agreed upon, the statement was not conclusive and did not touch on the specific issues thus, paying heed to what had been approved by the Ministry of Finance.