A 22 year-old final year student who is preparing to write the Basic Certificate Examination (BECE), Stephen Oppong has met his untimely death after falling into a ‘galamsey’ pit in the Western region.
The student of Nsayamu Junior High School (JHS) according to Rainbow Radio’s Christopher Anto, died on the spot after falling into the pit.
Narrating the incident to Nyankonton Mu Nsem, he said, Oppong was an illegal miner and died in the course of his work.
Other colleagues who were working with him rushed to seek for help but he was dead before they arrived.
The body has since been deposited at the morgue.
Chaplin of the Kumas Central Prison, Rev. Canon Paa Kwesi Ansah, has revealed an acute shortage of medicines has hit infirmaries of Prisons across the Ashanti Region.
According to him, the situation which has been frequent, is affecting healthcare delivery to inmates of prisons in the region.
Rev. Ansah blamed the shortage on insufficient budgetary allocation from the government.
The Chaplin speaking at a short ceremony to receive foodstuff and cosmetics from a philanthropist, indicated that officers are sometimes forced to use their own money to buy drugs for the inmates.
The items worth GHC30,000 was donated by the owner of St Monica’s Company, Mama Serwaah Nyarkoh.
A building has collapsed on Maame Akua Kerah, 85 and her grandson Akwasi Boadi at Akyem Ofoase in the Akyemansa district of the Eastern region.
The incident has shocked residents because according to them, there was no heavy downpour or strong wind which may have caused the incident.
The 85 year-old woman according to Teacher Ntow who reported the incident was pronounced dead on arrival at the St. John’s Clinic at Akyem Ofoase.
The grandson is currently on admission at the same facility receiving treatment.
A man believed to be in his 50s Kojo Braimah, has committed suicide by hanging himself to death at the Agona West Constituency village of Oboyambo in the Central Region.
An eyewitness who narrated the story to Rainbow Radio said Mr. Kojo Braimah had earlier on informed his wife, Madam Abena of his plans to travel but did not tell exactly where he was heading for.
Later on Monday noon, the wife found her husband dead, hanging in his cocoa farm.
She then rushed home to report the unfortunate incident. The police has since picked up the body ahead of further investigations.
By: Daniel Asuku
Calm has returned to Sayeegu and Samburik communities near Nakpanduri in the Bunkprugu Yunyon district of the Northern Region after the Northern regional Security Council deployed personnel of the Ghana police service and the military service to the areas, to maintain order.
It could be recalled that about four persons were killed and several torched houses burnt in renewed clashes between the Sayeegu and Sambiruk communities near Napkanduri in the Northern Region, forcing some residents to flee the two communities to nearby Togo.
Meanwhile Rainbow Radio's Prince Kwame Tamakloe reporting from the communities revealed that, calm has returned to the communities and some residents who fled as a result of the clashes, have started returning to their various homes.
However, police and military posts have been mounted in the two communities to ensure lasting peace and order in the Sayeegu and Samburik communities.
By: Prince Kwame Tamakloe
President Nana Akufo-Addo’s Metropolitan District Chief Executive (MCE) nominee for Asokore Mampong Municipality in the Ashanti Region has been rejected by Assembly Members.
The Municipal Chief Executive nominee, Alhaji Alidu Seidu, failed to get two thirds of the votes of the Assembly members during his confirmation on Friday. Eight of the 15 Assembly members voted ‘No’ while seven noted ‘Yes.’
The Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah who was at the ceremony had admonished the Assembly Members to vote massively for him however, his plea was brushed aside and the nominee rejected.
Meanwhile, he is currently in a meeting with the Assembly Members our reporter has said.
A 5 year-old boy, Kwame Frimpong who lives with his parents at Prestea Mankessem in the Western Region attempted poisoning his 6 months old brother, Kingsford.
Narrating the incident to Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, Abrewa Nana an eyewitness said, the 5 year-old boy acted out jealousy.
According to him, the parents used to pamper him until they gave birth to his junior brother.
He said, ''the boy attempted poisoning his 6 month old brother but was caught in the act. He acted out of jealousy. The parents used to pamper him until they had their second child and so, he [Frimpong] became jealous and decided to poison his brother.''
The parents took him to the police station but were advised to seek psychiatric treatment but reports showed there was nothing wrong with the boy.
They were further asked to seek spiritual assistance and the pastor recommended that, they should continue pampering him like they used to do before delivering their second child.
Two people believed to be Nkonyas are reported dead in renewed clashes between them and their age-old rivals, the Alavanyos.
It remains unclear what triggered the attack but police say gunshots were fired from the Alavanyo side.
The Kpando Divisional Police Commander Superintendent Prosper Ahlijah in an interview with Accra based Joy Fm said: “two people were shot dead and two injured at Nkonya Ahenkro around 7 to 8’Oclock in the evening. It was an attack from the Alavanyos”
Asked to confirm if the attack came from the Alavanyos, Supt. Ahlijah said: “The soldiers on the ground, they were monitoring events because the attack was coming from that direction.”
Renewed clashes between Chakosi and Bimoaba ethnic groups at Bumburiga has left some 500 residents homeless.The fighting has left two persons with gunshots wounds and many houses destroyed by fire.The violence according an eyewitness begun at about 4am in Laaritanga where many Bimoabas were severely beaten in a fight last year over fishing in the Kpempi river, a water head of the Oti river.Reports has it that the Bimoabas raided houses of the Chokosis with guns, spears and sharpened sticks and set them on fire whiles they were still asleep amidst sporadic shooting.The Bimobas allegedly extended the ambush to about five communities including Jagbanga, Jawari and Zanzori forcing all the chokosi residents to flee to Tosori and Kwabenakaposo near Wenchike.The attackers have also fled crossing the Oti river to neighboring Togo.A joint military and police force from Yendi have been deployed to the area to maintain law and order.
Students at the Kumasi Academy, a mixed Senior High School nearly clashed with the police who had gone to the school to maintain law and order following a demonstration held by the students.
The students held the demonstration in protest against what they termed, mysterious deaths in the school and were demanding to go home.
Sources say, three students died while in the Hospital after they were given exeats last week due to the ill health.
According to the source, three more students fell ill and were taken to the Hospital; this informed the decision by the entire student body to hold the demonstration on suspicion that, these other students may die like the others.
Some students are now expressing fear and feel unsafe in the school.
According to them, the ‘mysterious deaths, usually occur during third term.
The main entrance to the school was blocked with several people including parents and townsfolk demanding that authorities open the gate for them to take their wards home.
Speaking to Accra based Citi FM, Assistant Headmaster in charge of Academics, Mr. Ernest Wiafe said the students became agitated and were becoming chaotic following rumours that another student had died after supper.
“…So in the process, there was a bit of stone throwing and some noise; and so we had to call the police who were close and they came with a little bit of reinforcement. So as you can see the situation has normalized. Unfortunately, some media houses presented a completely different story, that’s why you see a few parents outside the school trying to get their wards back home. But let me confirm that our students are all safe and they are sleeping. So the parents would have to leave and find a better time to come back and find out things for themselves.”
He also debunked claims that the schools died out of food poisoning.
“Nothing like food poisoning; Mind you we have a boarding population of a little over 2,100 who all take food from the dining hall. There’s also a canteen where the students go to buy food from. So if it were to be a case of food poisoning, you could have imagined the number of casualties. So we have no doubt at all, that these are students who had ailments and unfortunately passed on. However investigations by professionals are still ongoing and I believe we will know everything.”
He indicated that the matter has been reported to the municipal directorate, which has dispatched officials to the school to collect vital information, and also do same at the hospitals where the students died, to ascertain the cause of death.