Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
General News

General News (10029)

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has released the provisional results of private candidates who took the 2018 edition of the Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE). The council had hosted the results online on the official website of WAEc a released issued by Deputy Director of Public Affairs Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, said. Withheld results The statement said the entire results of seven candidates had been withheld pending the conclusion of investigations into alleged examination malpractices, adding that those withheld results would be released as soon as the council concluded its investigation. Statistics of candidates A total of 11,886 candidates made up of 6,886 and 5,000 males and females respectively sat the examination which was written at 41 centres throughout the country. This year’s private BECE recorded the highest number of candidates since its inception in 2015. For instance, last year, 1,379 took part in the examination, while 1,418 and 1,181 candidates sat for the exams in 2016 and 2015 respectively. Selection of schools Meanwhile, the Ghana Education Service (GES) has announced to the general public that candidates who sat the private BECE in February this year should visit the WAEC’s website for the selection of senior high schools of their choice. A release signed and issued by the Head of the Public Relations Unit of the GES, Ms Cassandra Twum Ampofo, asked the candidates to visit www.waecinternetsolution.org “to go through the school selection process to be considered for placement for the 2018/2019 academic year.” Deadline “Again, candidates are urged to carefully read the guidelines for the selection of schools before they start the process,” the statement said. The statement concluded that the deadline for the selection was Monday, July 2, 2018. By: Rainbow Radio and additional files from GraphicOnline
The government has through the Education Ministry supplied 2,586 pieces of assorted Science, ICT, Technical and Vocational equipment to the Mampong Technical College of Education in its bid to revamp technical education in the country. The equipment includes electronic kilns, heat transmission ovens, concrete block making machines, desktop and laptop computers, sewing machines, grinding machines, biological models, portable strobe lights, VCD/DVD combos, graph boards, and developing tables, among others. The college has been allocated GHS 372,249.00 for academic facility infrastructure and faculty development through the GETFund. The Minister of Education, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh who made the presentation later joined graduants of Mampong Technical University to congratulate them on their graduation.
One of the eldest sons of Anthony Opoku Acheampon, the 70 year-old man who died after he was turned away by six hospitals including Ghana’s premiere hospital, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital over lack of beds says the family maybe considering a legal action. Obiri Yeboah told Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, the family lawyer is currently out of the jurisdiction and will be back on Sunday. The family he noted will seek the advice from the lawyer on the way forward. The death of his late father he said was as a result of negligence on the part of the various hospitals that rejected them over the ‘No Bed’ syndrome. The Ghana Health Service (GHS) has launched investigations into the circumstances that led to the death of the 70-year-old man. Director General of the GHS, Dr Nsiah Asare, said he is disturbed by the death of the 70-year-old man. Reacting to the probe, Obiri Yeboah called on GHS to expedite the probe and come out with concrete policies that will prevent such occurrences in the future. Anthony Opoku Acheampon, 70, died in his car at the LEKMA hospital after six other hospitals refused to admit him due to lack of beds. The incident he said happened on 3 June 2018 when his brother, Ishmael Opoku received a phone call from his mother to come home and assist in taking his father to the hospital because he was complaining of headache and dizziness. At midnight, Mr Opoku and his mother drove his father to the C&J Hospital at Adabraka where the nurse turned them away with the no bed excuse without even administering first aid. They left C& J Hospital to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where the same excuse of no bed was cited. From Korle Bu, they made trips to Korle Bu Polyclinic, the Accra Regional Hospital, the Police Hospital and the LEKMA Hospital where his father eventually died. All the hospitals they visited turned him away over claims that there was no bed. At the LEKMA hospital, Mr Opoku recalls his mother knelt before a doctor and pleaded that his father be attended to but the doctor refused to take care of him insisting there was nothing he could do. Mr Acheampon died in his son’s car after all attempts to get him medical treatment failed.
One of the eldest sons of Anthony Opoku Acheampon, the 70 year-old man who died after he was turned away by six hospitals including Ghana’s premiere hospital, Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, over lack of beds, has revealed that, the father warned them not to take him to the hospital when he started feeling severe headache. Narrating the circumstances that led to the death of his father, Obiri Yeboah said his father started complaining of headache and his wife, attempted giving him paracetamol, but my father said, ‘’this not a pain paracetamol can cure. So my mother told him we needed to take him to the hospital. But my father said, don’t take me to the hospital because if you do, I will die… ‘’So my mother asked why he made that comment and insisted we have to take him to the hospital. My mother called my senior brother and that was the beginning of our horrific ordeal.’’ Anthony Opoku Acheampon, died in his car at the LEKMA hospital after six other hospitals refused to admit him due to lack of beds. The incident he said happened on 3 June 2018 when his brother, Ishmael Opoku received a phone call from his mother to come home and assist in taking his father to the hospital because he was complaining of headache and dizziness. At midnight, Mr Opoku and his mother drove his father to the C&J Hospital at Adabraka where the nurse turned them away with the no bed excuse without even administering first aid. They left C& J Hospital to the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital where the same excuse of no bed was cited. From Korle Bu, they made trips to Korle Bu Polyclinic, the Accra Regional Hospital, the Police Hospital and the LEKMA Hospital where his father eventually died. All the hospitals they visited turned him away over claims that there was no bed. At the LEKMA hospital, Mr Opoku recalls his mother knelt before a doctor and pleaded that his father be attended to but the doctor refused to take care of him insisting there was nothing he could do. Mr Acheampon died in his son’s car after all attempts to get him medical treatment failed.
The Attorney General (A-G) has filed a petition at the High Court for the dissolution of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Rainbow Radio has gathered. If granted, government will have the opportunity to dissolve the GFA following the fallout from the Number 12 expose. Unconfirmed report also indicates that the Ghana Football Association (GFA) will renamed as Ghana Football Federation (GFF). President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has initiated steps aimed at dissolving the GFA, a statement issued by the Information Minister, Dr Mustapha Abdul-Hamid last week Thursday has said. The statement read: "...having regard to the widespread nature of the apparent rot involving top GFA officials, top NSA officials, match commissioners, football administrators and referees, Government has decided to take immediate steps to have the GFA dissolved," Dr Abdul-Hamid's statement said. "Government will shortly, thereafter, announce provisional measures to govern football activity in the country, until a new body is duly formed; and Government will communicate these decisions to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) and the Federation of International Football Associations (FIFA), and engage with them on these developments to chart a way forward for Ghana football," the statement added
A Bolgatanga Magistrate Court has slapped a ¢33,000.00 fine on the Upper East Regional correspondent for Starr Fm, a private media station based in Accra for publishing a defamatory report. The court presided over by Osman Abdul-Hakeem ordered Edward Adeti to compensate the plaintiff, Hajira Ibrahim in the sum of ¢20,000 “for the defamation caused the plaintiff based on the comments and publication of same comments around the 29th January 2017 on A1 Radio, (a local radio station based in the Bolgatanga Municipality) and affiliate stations across the country”. Mr Adeti who was not in court was further ordered by the court to compensate the plaintiff for natural damages for defamation in the sum of GH¢ 10,000.00, and a cost of GH¢ 3,000.00 was also awarded against the defendant. Mr Adeti on January 29, 2017 published a story on the station’s website captioned “Missing Vehicles: UER health boss begs; car found at residence,” and a sub-headline “Starr investigates Ghana Essential Health Intervention Project (GEHIP) reportedly given to wife”, sought to suggest that Madam Ibrahim, wife of the Upper East Regional Director of Health Services at the time, Dr Kofi Issah was “unduly” given an official vehicle meant for GEHIP. The said story claimed in part that “Sources within the Upper East Regional Health Directorate hinted Starr News in October 2016, that Dr Issah had unduly given out to his wife an official project vehicle, a grey pickup meant to ‘sustain the gains made’ under the Ghana Essential Health Intervention Project (GEHIP)”. Madam Ibrahim, unhappy about the publication, filed a suit against the reporter in court for defamation around the same time the publication was made. The judge, presiding, said he found the defendant (Mr Adeti) liable of all reliefs sort by the plaintiff and ordered the reporter to retract the story within 72 hours and air same through the medium first used. Mr Abdul Hakeem said, “Understandably, the court came to this conclusion based on the facts established”. Madam Ibrahim told the Ghana News Agency after the judgement that she was happy with the court’s decision. Source: GNA
United States President Donald Trump has met North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore. The two sides are expected to discuss denuclearisation and a possible peace declaration It is the first time a sitting US president has ever met a North Korean leader. Mr Trump says he expects to have a "terrific relationship" with Mr Kim. The pair shook hands at a luxury hotel in Singapore's Sentosa island before proceeding to talks. At the end of the summit the leaders signed a "comprehensive" document but did not explain what they had agreed. The US president spoke of a "special bond" with the North Korean leader and said he was "absolutely" willing to invite him to the White House. "We've decided to leave the past behind," Mr Kim said. "The world will see major changes."
The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has, in accordance with applicable laws, sworn into office the governing Boards of the Coastal, Middle Belt and Northern Development Authorities, and the Board of the Zongo Development Fund. At a brief ceremony held at the Banquet Hall of the Jubilee House, on Monday, 11th June, 2018, President Akufo-Addo explained that the need for the establishment of the development authorities, as promised in the run-up to the 2016 elections, was based on the determination to begin a new paradigm of development in Ghana. According to the President, the manner in which development has proceeded so far in the country has not addressed the fundamental problems of development that confronts our country. “We had a lot to do with the profile that the development process has been under taken up till now. We made therefore the commitment that we will attempt a new paradigm, a bottom-up approach to the development of our nation,” the President said. He continued, “It will be required that the manner in which the capital expenditure of our various budgets have, hitherto, been spent, will be done in a different way. We will appropriate from the capital budgets of our country a certain amount of money that will go the Development Authorities to enable them to tackle the issues of development at the grassroots.” The President noted that, fortunately, the Ministry of Special Development Initiatives has already done a lot of work in conducting a needs assessment survey across the 275 constituencies, and the same issues of road infrastructure, sanitation, and educational infrastructure, remain the basic issues that confront the various localities in our nation. “We are doing this because we believe that if these authorities succeed in their task, it will enable us to have a much more evenly balanced development of Ghana,” he said. He explained that, the pledge of the equivalent of “one million dollars per constituency” will be the funds “that will be at your disposal, to be able to meet the objectives of the development authorities.” On the rationale for the establishment of the Zongo Development Fund, the President explained that the need to make a special intervention in inner cities and zongos was as a result of the “manner in which the development of our nation had been organized”. This, he said, necessitated the establishment of Zongo Development Fund, “that will also have as its targets the addressing of the specific needs of the community.” He was confident expressed confidence at the quality of the expertise that have been appointed to form the boards of the authorities and the ZDF, and charged them to work together in undertaking their tasks. On behalf of the Members of the Boards, the Chairperson of the Coastal Development Authority Board, Mr. Edmund Annan, assured the President of their commitment to the task as members of the board. He said, “We accept that we cannot expect to do the wrong things over again and expect different results,” and called for the support of all towards the realization of the desired goals for the development authorities.
A six year-old girl, Dorcas Dartebia, has been diagnosed of spondylosis (spine fracture or defect) at Kofi Asare in the Upper West Akyem District. Reporting the incident on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, Rainbow Radio’s Prince Collins Bening, described the condition of the little girl as severe. According to him, the six year girl walks over five miles to school and walks the same miles back from school on daily basis. Prince Bening indicated that doctors, who examined the little girl, attributed her condition to long the distance she had to walk to and from school. According to Bening, Dartebia fell on her face when she was taking her bath in a bathroom some few days ago, and was rushed to the Adeiso Government hospital to seek medical care but was referred to the Nsawam Government Hospital. However the parents have told the hospital they are unable to cater for her medical bills. The girl is unable to walk and experiencing severe pain, Bening added. Spondylolysis is the medical term for a spine fracture or defect that occurs at the region of the pars interarticularis. The pars interarticularis is region between the facet joints of the spine, and more specifically the junction of the superior facet and the lamina. It is more common for a child or young adult to have a spondylolysis (pars fracture) without having spondylolisthesis, whereas adults are frequently diagnosed with spondylolisthesis without spondylolysis. Although it is confusing, both of these conditions are frequently seen in combination, and the treatments for both conditions are often the same. However, it is much more common for adults to be treated surgically; children with spondylolysis/spondylolisthesis rarely require surgery unless the slippage is severe. Back pain is the most common presenting symptom, particularly in adults. Children may or may not have significant back pain; the predominant symptom(s) may be difficulty walking, postural deformity, and/or hamstring tightness. Adults frequently have leg pain, numbness, and/or weakness (sciatica, radiculitis, or radiculopathy) while children rarely have leg symptoms.( http://www.uscspine.com/conditions/childrens-spondylolysis-spondylolisthesis.cfm)
An Executive Committee Member of the Ghana Football Association (GFA), Albert Commey, has challenged the decision by government to dissolve the association. The decision by government he lamented is unlawful because the FA is an association limited by guarantee and it takes their members to dissolve it. But if an outsider [government] intends to dissolve it, it must be premised on an illegal or fraudulent activity. Our membership is 22 and only 4 have been implicated. Does it therefore, mean we have done something wrong? He was not happy the few people implicated is informing government to dissolve the GFA because ‘’it will not inure to the benefit of stakeholders.’’ The Ethics Committee of GFA he said have taken steps to probe the matter and no member implicated will be shielded but attempts are being made to dissolve the GFA for some political reasons. ‘’When a problem occurs, we use the internal mechanism to resolve them. You don’t go around saying you want to dissolve the GFA. I don’t trust politicians…because they can abuse power. There are a lot of mechanisms and I have heard some people are behind the attempt to dissolve the GFA for their own selfish interest.’’ He continued: ‘’we should exercise restraint and stop lumping all of us together. We have to take time and investigate this matter…Some of us decided to be above reproach but we are being called criminals because of some few individuals.’’ Albert Commey said he is confused as to whether to remain in the game of football due to the fallout from the Number 12 expose. On the way out when there is no president or vice he said: 'In the event where there is no GFA president and the vice, the rules and regulations allow the membership to elect someone to act in the capacity as head for the body until we are able to go for an early congress and elect a new leader.' ‘’The law does not allow for the GFA to be dissolved. So if the Ghana Bar Association is faced with a crisis, will the government of Ghana remove its leadership and appoint its own people? I don’t think that is the best,’’ he concluded.
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« June 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30