Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
General News

General News (8750)

President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo on Wednesday stressed the resolve of government to invest more in security and safety to ensure social cohesion for greater development. Government, he said, would make certain that the nation was not overrun by criminal elements with impunity, assuring that the Police Service would, in the coming months, witness a greater enhancement of their capacity to enforce and reduce infractions of the law. President Akufo-Addo gave the assurance when the leadership, some chiefs and queenmothers from the Upper West Regional House of Chiefs, called on him at the Flagstaff House in Accra. He told the traditional rulers that his government’s priority was to ensure that the citizenry went about their duties in an orderly and peaceful manner, and that through prudent economic management, it had found the means to equip the security services to ensure that there was peace, tranquility and security in every part of the country. President Akufo-Addo made the delegation aware that government had made it a priority to improve the quality of life and the social and economic conditions of the people in the Upper West Region. He said his administration had initiated a raft of plans to improve the social and economic conditions of the Upper West Region, particularly in the areas of education, health, agriculture, infrastructure, and aviation. On education, President Akufo-Addo disclosed that the conversion of the Wa Campus of the University of Development Studies into a fully-fledged university was well underway, as the requisite institutions of State were being impressed to support the move. “A lot of work has already gone into it. The Ministry of Education and the Council for Higher Education are working behind the scene and I am very optimistic that very soon, we will hear something positive,” he said. The President informed the chiefs that government was also committed to the process of converting the Wa Polytechnic, recently named after Dr Hilla Limann, into a technical university, adding that the necessary infrastructure was being put in place to enable the institution to attain that status. On aviation, he informed the delegation that construction of the Wa Airport had been completed and would be made operational very soon to open up the Region for trade and investment. President Akufo-Addo further assured the people of the region of quality health care with work soon to commence on the Wa Regional Hospital as government had made the provision for that in the 2018 Budget. On a proposal by the chiefs for the establishment of a Shea Development Board to support the production and export of the crop, President Akufo-Addo gave the assurance that government would look into the request because that sub-sector could change the fortunes of the Region for good. He urged the chiefs, and indeed all Ghanaians, to support the Government to achieve the vision of a Ghana beyond aid. The President of the Upper West Regional House of Chiefs, Kuoro Richard Babini Kanton VI, commended President Akufo-Addo for the strides his administration had made in its first year of governance, saying government’s policies and programmes had affected the lives of his people and the entirety of Ghanaians positively. He urged the President to stay focused on his agenda to bring rapid development to Ghana and pledged the support of the chiefs and people of the Region towards the realisation of that vision. SOURCE: GNA
A 53-year-old resident in the Bia West District, Mr. Kofi Amoah, has reportedly impregnated her 23-year-old daughter. Rainbow Radio’s Christopher Anto said, Mr. Amoah, who has been married over the past 32 years with five children, developed a sexual relationship with the daughter at the blind side of the wife. According to Anto, the daughter who is currently six months pregnant is the last of the five children. Meanwhile, the wife has called for a divorce stating that, she could no longer continue with the marriage.
At least 17 people are dead after a 19-year-old man opened fire at a high school campus in Parkland, Florida, police have said. The suspect has been named as Nikolas Cruz, 19, and is a former student at the school who had been expelled. As the attack unfolded students were forced to hide as police swooped in on the building. It is one of the deadliest school shootings since 26 people were killed at a Connecticut school in 2012. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told reporters Mr Cruz killed three people outside the school, before entering the building and killing another 12. Two people later died after being taken to hospital. "It's catastrophic. There really are no words," Sheriff Israel tweeted later. Dr Evan Boyar of Broward Health told reporters late on Wednesday that 17 people total had been taken to area hospitals. He added that Mr Cruz was among those treated and was released into police custody. Three people remained in a critical condition and three others were in stable condition, he said. The victims are still being identified. Sheriff Israel said a football coach was among the dead but no names have been released. How the attack unfolded On Wednesday, the local public school district tweeted that "students and staff heard what sounded like gunfire" just before the end of the day at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Witnesses said that the suspect pulled a fire alarm before the violence erupted. Police and SWAT team members swarmed the campus and began clearing students from the school in Parkland, about an hour north of Miami, as parents and ambulances converged on the scene. Mr Cruz, who had been expelled for "disciplinary reasons", was taken into custody without incident in the nearby town of Coral Springs about an hour after he left the high school, according to police. "We have already begun to dissect his websites and things on social media that he was on and some of the things... are very, very disturbing," Sheriff Israel said. "Just a horrible day for us," said Robert Runcie, the superintendent of the county's school district. 'Worst nightmare' Many students said they thought it was a drill after hearing the fire alarm go off shortly before the shooting. Students told US media they hid under desks, in closets or barricaded doors as loud shots rang out. One student, Bailey Vosberg, said: "I heard what sounded like fireworks and I looked at my friend and he asked me if I heard that." "Immediately, I knew. I didn't say anything to him, I just hopped over the fence and I went straight to the road that our school is located on - and as I got there there was just Swat cars and police units, police vehicles just flying by, helicopters over the top of us." Source:BBC
President Jacob Zuma has resigned as head of state for South Africa. His resignation which was announced today [Wednesday], takes immediate effect. Mr. Zuma in his speech said: "I resign as president of the republic with immediate effect," he said, "even though I disagree with the decision of the leadership of my organisation ... I have always been a disciplined member of the organisation." The embattled leader added: "As I leave, I will continue to serve the people of South Africa as well as the ANC." He said "no leader should seek an easy way out simply because they could not face life at the end of their term without the perks that come with their political office". "I fear no motion of no confidence or impeachment. They are the lawful mechanisms for the people of this beautiful country to remove their president. "I've served the people of South Africa to the best of my ability. I am forever grateful that they trusted me with their highest office in the land, but when I accepted the deployment I understood and undertook to subject myself to the supreme law of the land, the Constitution," he added. Jacob Zuma has been the president of South Africa since May 9, 2009.
Zimbabwe's main opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai has died in South Africa, a senior official in his MDC party has said. Mr Tsvangirai, 65, a former prime minister, had reportedly been suffering from colon cancer. "He died this evening. The family communicated this to me," MDC vice president Elias Mudzuri told Reuters. Mr Tsvangirai's career was marked by a long political struggle against former President Robert Mugabe. He had been beaten and imprisoned numerous times. Announcing Mr Tsvangirai's death, Mr Mudzuri said on Twitter that the MDC had "lost our icon and fighter for democracy". Mr Tsvangirai founded the MDC (Movement for Democratic Change) in 2000, repeatedly challenging Mr Mugabe during the ex-president's long grip on power. In the 2008 election, Mr Tsvangirai gained the most votes in the first round but not enough to win outright. Before the second round of voting, Mr Mugabe's security forces carried out a campaign of violence against opposition supporters, and Mr Tsvangirai withdrew. Mr Mugabe was declared the winner, but an international outcry over allegations of violence and vote-rigging led to a power sharing agreement in which Mr Tsvangirai would serve as prime minister. Mr Tsvangirai ran against Mr Mugabe again in 2013 but lost by a landslide. The MDC is said to be divided over who should lead it into elections later this year against the governing Zanu-PF party, led by Mr Mugabe's successor, Emmerson Mnangagwa. Source:BBC
The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, left Ghana for Nigeria, on Wednesday, 14th February, 2018, at the invitation of the Bishop of the Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Most Rev. Dr. Matthew Hassan Kukah, to attend a two-day International Conference on Transformative Governance in Africa, a statement signed by Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin has said. President Akufo-Addo will deliver the keynote address at the Conference, on the theme, “How to make Democracy work for Africa.” The President will return to Ghana on Thursday, 15th February, 2018, and in his absence, the Vice President, Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, shall, in accordance with Article 60(8) of the Constitution, act in his stead.
Deputy Majority Chip, Mr. Moses Anim, has said Martin Amidu, exhibited all the qualities required of a person expected to occupy that office. Speaking on Frontline on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, he said throughout the vetting, Mr. Amidu, was candid, confident and exhibited the passion in the quest to fight corruption. He showed that he was competent and had in-depth knowledge on corruption and it related matters. He also described as soothing the comments by Mr. Amidu that, he could not live in harmony with criminals. Parliament’s Appointments Committee after close to nine-long-hours of vetting, approved Mr. Amidu by a unanimous decision. The lawmaker said the anti-corruption campaigner left a good impression in the minds of Ghanaians with his answers during the vetting. Martin Amidu at his vetting yesterday expressed his readiness to build a strong institution to help fight corruption in Ghana. The special prosecutor nominee assured that ‘’ if we succeed we establishing such an institution with a credible culture to rid of corruption we will not need foreign aid’’ He called on Ghanaians to assist the nominee so he would be successful. The success of Amidu would serve as a measure for others who may take over from him.
South Africa's scandal-hit President Jacob Zuma says he has done nothing wrong - and sees no reason to stand down immediately. Mr Zuma spoke after the ruling African National Congress (ANC) announced it would back a vote of no confidence in his leadership on Thursday. The 75-year-old has come under increasing pressure to resign amid numerous allegations of corruption. But he said the ANC had failed to explain why he had been recalled. "It was very unfair to me that this issue is raised," he told the national broadcaster SABC during a lengthy unannounced interview. "Nobody has ever provided the reasons. Nobody is saying what I have done." He stressed that he was not defying the ANC but he disagreed with its decision to ask him to resign. Mr Zuma said he had offered to go after June, but objected to the way the issue was currently being handled. He said he would make a further statement later on Wednesday. Earlier, ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu announced that a motion of no-confidence in the president would be heard on Thursday, with Cyril Ramaphosa - who was elected ANC president in December - sworn in as the nation's president as soon as possible after that. A meeting of the ANC's National Executive Committee had announced its decision to recall Mr Zuma on Tuesday and gave him until the end of Wednesday to resign. Meanwhile, South African police have ramped up their investigation into Mr Zuma's close associates, the wealthy, Indian-born Gupta family, conducting a raid and making several arrests early on Wednesday. The Guptas have been accused of using their close friendship with Mr Zuma to wield enormous political influence. Both parties deny all allegations of wrongdoing. Why was the Guptas' house raided? Three people were arrested during the raid, with two more expected to hand themselves in. According to local media, one of those arrested was a Gupta family member. According to a statement released by the Hawks - the police's elite high-priority crimes unit - the raids were carried out in connection with the Vrede farm investigation. That investigation relates to the Estina dairy farm near Vrede, in the Free State, a project which was originally meant to help poor black farmers but from which the Gupta family are alleged to have pocketed millions of dollars, allegations they deny. A tranche of leaked emails released last year alleged that some of the money ended up paying for the family's lavish wedding at Sun City, South Africa's upmarket holiday resort. In January, the Hawks raided the offices of the Free State premier, Ace Magashule, looking for documents linked to the project. Mr Magashule was elected secretary-general of the ruling African National Congress (ANC) in December Source: BBC
The Teachers and Educational Workers Union (TEWU), has appealed to government to employ more teaching and non-teaching staff to augment for the increase in the number of students’ due to the introduction of the free Senior High School policy. At a press addressed by its General Secretary, Mr. Augustine Karbo, TEWU said, the flagship education policy could be affected should government fail to employ more. ‘’The free SHS has brought an increase in the student population in the various campuses; whether it is non-boarding or boarding… and it comes with an association of other factors that goes a long way to affect the working people.. He noted, before the free SHS, student population ranged between 1,000-2000 but the number has increased to over 3,000 and it gives you an idea that, the work load both for the teaching and non-teaching staff, have increased and for that matter, there would be the need for more hands and more logistics and materials to come on board. But that is not what we are seeing.’’ He added, some of the workers are going on retirement and others resigning voluntarily. However, they are not being replaced. ‘’So there is a gap in terms of the number of employees that are in the system compared with the increasing numbers which is not commiserating,’’ he concluded.
A member of the Economic Fighters League, Ernesto Yeboah, has indicated that, the appointment of Martin Amidu, as Special Prosecutor appears to be a trick. Speaaking on Nyankonton mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, he added, the change Ghanaians called for has not been seen after the New Patriotic Party (NPP), took over office. This is because government is still planning to sell the Electricity Company of Ghana (ECG), government is bent on introducing Genetically Modified Foods (GMOs). In terms of the policy direction, nothing has changed. What the NDC did and was voted out of office is the same thing the NPP is doing after winning power,’’ he said. ‘’Nothing has changed in terms of policy. The NPP is running a social media government and the major reason NPP was voted for has not been met.’’ In his view, if the police administration, EOCO and other such bodies should do their constitutional duties, the Office of the Special Prosecutor would not be necessary. ‘’We are only hoping the appointment of Martin Amidu, would help reduce corruption in the country,’’ he stated. He also disputed claims by some individuals that, Amidu was arrogant adding, ‘’if Amidu is arrogant; his arrogance is justified. He demonstrated knowledge, confidence and demonstrated that he is a competent individual. We wish him well and hope his appointment would not be a superfluous one.’’ On his part, Mr. Bismark Tawiah Boateng, the NDC Chairman for Eastern Region, said Martin Amidu was bitter in his responses. According to him, Amidu should not be over-hyped despite his competence. He also advised Amidu to desist from embarking on a witch-hunting spree but deliver his duties in an unbiased, professional and diligent manner. He challenged Martin Amidu to investigate every single corrupt act stating from the era of former President Kufour till date. He asked the president to swear him in so he would start work as soon as practicable.
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« February 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28