A police Lance Corporal with the RDF unit in Tema, has on Monday committed suicide after allegedly killing his wife, two children and an in-law.
Information gathered by rainbowradioonline.com indicates that the deceased whose name was only given as Amuzu, is said to have booked an AK 47 assault rifle on Monday evening and went home to perpetrate the heinous act.
Confirming the incident a few moments after the incident, Public Relations Officer of the Tema Regional Command ASP Juliana Obeng said immediate investigations have begun.
The founder and leader of the United Democratic Party (UDP), Dr. Yaw Kummey has threatened to expose names of some top government officials who owe him huge sums of money if they fail to pay him.
According to him, he was the top financier of the umbrella family ''because he loved the party so much''.
Speaking in an interview with Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5FM, Dr. Kummey said his business has collapsed due to his decision to sponsor the party; yet he has been neglected by the party he once sponsored.
Dr. Yaw Kummey said when the NDC were in opposition, they were not rich and they came to him for money.
''From the top to the down i financed the NDC before they came to power...Some of the NDC people are saying today that, the smaller parties are wasting their time but both the NDC and the NPP do not have money and if the smaller parties compete with them , they will also have the same money. I want to tell the NDC people...that some of us sacrificed our lives and cars before they came to power.''
The politician who appeared furious warned the so-called ungrateful billionaires in the NDC to remember their past.
''Any NDC member who came to my office and took money from me and used for campaign; today I'm broke and frustrated. So they should return it otherwise i will mention names... My business is collapsed Nothing is working out. Am giving them seven days otherwise i will mention names.''
He mentioned one Ken, a deputy Minister of Defence who he alleged always came to his office for money but has refused to assist now in tine of his financial crisis.
He also descended on the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) for sidelining other parties and rather focusing on the NDC and NPP as major stakeholders in their presidential debate although they are crippling the economy.
The Eastern Regional branch of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), last Friday closed nominations pending the Abuakwa North constituency primaries which will take place for soon.
At close of nominations last week, only two of the three candidates successfully filed the nominations to contest.
Ghana’s Ambassador to the United Kingdom, His Excellency Emmanuel Victor Smith and the Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE) for East Akyem, Mr Simon Peter Asirifi.
Speaking in an interview with Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5FM, Francis Annoh Dompreh said vetting is slated for Wednesday 27, July, 2016 after which a date will be set for the primaries.
When asked who is likely to win the race, he said, any of the two candidates can win the race since they've both contested before.
According to him, any candidate who emerges victor can clinch victory for the party.
The primaries became possible following the resignation of the party's parliamentary candidate Anthony Gyimah.
Victor Smith who says he decided to contest due intensified calls from supporters following the death of Hon. JB Danquah, has been tipped to win the race.
But the deputy regional secretary says, the race will not an easy one for the two candidates.
A security man who guards a poultry farm has been allegedly murdered by unknown persons at Faama in the Jaman South District of the Brong Ahafo Region.
According to some eye witnesses the heard some masked men firing firing gun shots around the area.
The residents woke up only to find the lifeless body of the security guard lying in a poll of blood.
The situation according to reports has created tension in the area.
Political science lecturer at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Mohammed Abass says in most cases, persons are appointed based on their political allegiance to a political party and not based on experience.
Appointments in Ghana he noted, is mostly influenced by purely political favours and not based on competence.
According to him, there are only a few cases where appointments done by leaders are based on the expertise of that individual.
Speaking in an interview with Nyankonton Mu Nsem, the political science lecturer posited that, government has failed in doing due diligence with some appointments made.
In his view, there is the need for government to do due diligence before appointing his ministers to prevent incompetence and corrupt leadership
Citing examples of some ministers who have been sacked from their various positions in the country, Mohammed Abass said, the government can be said to have failed to do due diligence in some of the appointments made.
Former president of the Ghana Bar Association Sam Okudzeto, recently lambasted President Mahama for appointing persons who “who know next to nothing” due to extreme partisanship.
“The country is full of very brilliant, intelligent people [but] we have sidelined them, we have pushed all of them to the side and then you have people who know next to nothing wielding power, showing power, and the rest of us are suffering. I think it’s about time that Ghanaians sit up,'' Mr. Okudzeto stated some weeks ago.
A 30-year old physically challenged man whose name was given as Koo Red is currently battling for survival after he attempted suicide.
The victim according to reports, drunk a substance suspected to be poison after several attempts to find a lover failed.
Sir Joe narrating the incident to Nyankonton Mu Nsem said, the victim had earlier threatened to end his life because he could not find a woman to love him.
He said the victim complained of how ladies reject his proposal anytime he approaches them, hence the attempt to kill himself.
The incident occurred in the Western Region where the resident resides with his family.
The Deputy National Organizer of the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mardi Jibiril has said that they will not lose the elections because of the erratic power supply currently ongoing in the country.
Speaking in an interview with Rainbow Radio 87.5FM, the outspoken politician said government is working towards resolving the crisis.
According to him, unlike the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) which failed to put in prudent measures in resolving the crisis, the NDC under the leadership of President Mahama, have done so much in improving upon the situation.
Mardi Jibril posited that the NPP have no moral right to lambast the ruling government over the challenges we are confronted with today, since the NDC's policies so far in addressing the energy crisis is far better.
He said, there are not the NPP that only assembled men of God to go and pray when the Akosombo Dam went down but they have coupled the prayers with measures in resolving the situation.
Government he said, agrees there are are challenges however, they are working tirelessly in solving them.
He restated that challenges with the country’s power supply will be addressed soon, adding that the country is not under any load shedding regime as the opposition political party wants Ghanaians to believe.
The country is shedding a total of 300 Mega Watts of power owing to the destruction of gas pipelines from Nigeria.
Some experts have called on government to release a load shedding timetable since we back to the era.
But Mardi Jibril debunked the claims saying, Ghana have suffered some generational problems. Because of sabotage in Nigeria on the terminals, crude oil we ordered from Nigeria has not arrived and so it has created some generational problems for us, reiterating President Mahama's statement he made at the celebration Eid-ul Fitr.
Responding to him on the same show, a communication team member of the NPP Emmanuel Danso Attefah, said government lacks the competence in resolving the crisis.
He explained, there is no concrete efforts by the NDC in giving Ghanaians a stable power.
In his view we are not seeing results as President Mahama promised citizens when he presented the State of the Nation's Address. The plans in resolving the crisis he added, is nothing but artificial, knee jerk, insincere, and cosmetic due to the intense pressure from consumers.
He also chided government for lying to consumers that it has started reduction of electricity tariff when such a thing do not exist.
For fear of staying home without any secured jobs, graduate nurses who are about completing their national service have hinted of joining graduate unemployed nurses to demonstrate against government.
The group are seeking three reliefs from government. These reliefs include; 'government with immediate effect employ all graduate nurses, cancel the existing law which prevents government from employing graduate nurses and finally government should outline policies that will give graduate nurses currently undertaking their national service and others to follow secured jobs.
Leading member of the graduate nurses currently doing their national service, Joel Nana Boateng in an interview with Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5FM said they fear suffering the same fate like their colleagues who are currently at home, hence their decision to join the demonstration which is scheduled for July 31, 2016.
He said a number of assurances from government to post the unemployed graduate nurses to the various health facilities have failed.
Joel Nana Boateng could not understand why government will waste money to train health assistants under the Youth Employment Agency (YEA) to assist with healthcare in the country when there are unemployed nurses sitting at home without jobs.
Presidential candidate of the United Progressive Party (UPP), Mr Akwasi Addae Odike has picked a Kumasi based businessman, Mr Yaw Brogya Mensah as his vice presidential candidate for the presidential election.
The presidential candidate introduced his running mate at a ceremony to launch the party's manifesto at the Golden Tulip Hotel in Kumasi on Monday.
The manifesto launch was on the theme, “10years Development Plan /Campaign for 2016 Elections – An Era of job and wealth creation.”
Reports filed by our regional correspondent indicates that the ceremony was 'poorly' patronized as only a a handful of party supporters attended.
Rector of the Kumasi Polytheistic Professor Nicholas N.N Nsowah-Nuamah has refuted claims that the institution has been swindled in a multi-million dollar deal; yet management is entering into an agreement with an American Company to the tune of 850 million.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with Kwame Tutu, host of Frontline on Rainbow Radio 87.5FM, the rector denied the story which was published in the Monday's edition.
The paper said investigations it had conducted reveals that management at the school are asking the whereabouts of ''much talked about computer assembling project, which involved an agreement between school a Chinese IT Firm, Songtech Limited, about two years ago.''
According to the paper, the investment made in the deal has gone under the drain. Some staff of the institution according to the paper are demanding for answers as some of them claim that the deal which was to enhance teaching and learning has turned out to be a scam.
The company is said to have also seized over 22 sets of computers which were said to have been kept at the warehouse located at Pease without consent of the school, the paper added.
Per the report by the paper, an amount of the One Million Ghana Cedis cannot be accounted for due to the deal.
But responding to the story the Rector, Professor Nsowah-Nuamah said the scam reported by the paper cannot be factual.
He explained that the school has indeed entered into an agreement with the Chinese Company to to assist the school with the assembling of over 2, 000 computers locally by students of the polytechnic as part of entrepreneurship course and technology.
According to him, the company together with the company formed Kumasi Polytechnic Song Technology (KPST) as part of efforts to assemble the computers to enable to as part of efforts to assist the students with the training programme.
He told the host that, the agreement between the Chinese Company was to provide students an opportunity to gain practical knowledge on what they were studying in school. The project he stressed, has not failed as some people say. He was however, quick to add that, the deal has faced serious financial challenges, but has gone waste.
On the issue relating to the transaction with an American Company, the Rector said the school have been able to acquire a 200 acre land to enable it construct an ultra modern facility like that of the Silicon Valley in the United States, and as part of the efforts in doing that, they have developed 23 projects which he said American Company was ready to pay off the cost the school incurred in constructing.
He debunked claims that the school is entering into another transaction with the said company to the tune of 850 million dollars.
He stressed, the school have not signed a ''phony deal'' with the American company as the paper reported rather, it is the company which is rather looking forward to invest in their projects.