Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
General News

General News (10021)

Family of the late Dr. Aya Hayfron, the medical doctor was killed due to Monday’s downpour is appealing to the media and the general public to stop circulating the photos of the late doctor. They also asked to be given the space to mourn the departed family member. A statement issued Wednesday evening expressed gratitude to the general public for the support. The statement said The family of the Late Dr Aya Hayfron wish to thank the general public for the outpouring of love and support in the wake of the search of their loved one. The family wish to officially communicate that the body of the late Dr Aya Hayfron has been found. They wish to thank all those who assisted in the search process. These are trying times for the family and they will wish to appeal to the general public and the media to give them the needed space and time as they grief over the loss of the late Dr Aya Hayfron. We also wish to appeal to the general public and the media to treat the memory of the late Dr Aya Hayfron with the needed respect and desist from circulating pictures and inaccurate reportage about her on social media. The family is in deep sorrow at this loss and hope this humble plea of the family will be heeded by the media and the general public. Thank you for your support and keep praying for the family. The body of Dr Aya Hayfron who drowned last Monday has been found in the Kpeshie Lagoon. The body was covered with weeds when it was found. She was carried away by floodwaters at Teshie Rasta in Accra and was swept in the Lagoon.
US President Donald Trump has bowed to public pressure and signed an executive order promising to "keep families together" in migrant detentions. Mr Trump reversed his own policy amid international fury over the separation of undocumented parents and children. He said he had been swayed by images of children who have been taken from parents while they are jailed and prosecuted for illegal border-crossing. But the order does not address families already separated by the policy. US immigration officials say 2,342 children were separated from 2,206 parents between 5 May and 9 June. "It's about keeping families together," Mr Trump said at the signing ceremony on Wednesday. "I did not like the sight of families being separated," he said, but added the administration would continue its "zero tolerance policy" of criminally prosecuting anyone who crosses the border illegally. ________________________________________ The executive order calls for:  Immigrant families to be detained together while their legal cases are considered  Expediting immigration cases involving families  Requesting the modification of a court ruling that dictates how long immigrant children can be detained The president said his wife, Melania, and daughter, Ivanka, who reportedly have been applying pressure on him to drop the policy, "feel strongly" about ending the practice of separating migrant families. "I think anybody with a heart would feel very strongly about it," he said. "We don't like to see families separated." Vice-President Mike Pence and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen, who has emerged as the face of the White House policy, were both present for the signing of the order on Wednesday. Before his U-turn on Wednesday the president had previously said "you can't do it through an executive order", insisting that only Congress could fix the policy by passing immigration reform. Republican congressional leader Paul Ryan said the House of Representatives will vote on Thursday "on legislation to keep families together". He did not immediately provide details of the bill, but said it resolves the issue of so-called Dreamers, undocumented adult migrants who entered the US as children, "in a very elegant way". Source: BBC
Ten (10) individuals have been confirmed dead after the heavy downpour Monday morning. The National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) says the dead were from the Central, Volta and Greater Accra Regions. “We’ve lost ten lives across the country. If I say across the country meaning Greater Accra, Volta and Central Region,” Deputy Director-General of NADMO, Abu Ramadan, disclosed on Citi TV’s Evening Show, The Point of View. According to him, six people died in Accra, three in the Volta Region and one in the Central Region. “Where we had the worst cases were around the Teshie and Kisseman-Dome-Kwabenya areas. The damage was huge,” he said. “In Kisseman for instance, a woman got stacked on a tree for close to three hours because we couldn’t even get to where she was because of the currents and level of water. Our boats even couldn’t power itself there because of the level and the currents of the water,” he added.
Minister of Trade and Industry, Alan Kwadwo Kyremanten has informed parliament some 329 companies have been screened for the government’s one-district-one-factory policy. The Minister indicated that his Ministry had received over 700 proposals, adding that significant progress had been made on the creation of factories. “Over 700 proposals have been received by the Ministry of Trade and Industry, out of this figure 329 of these projects have been screened and recommended to financial institutions for support for the implementation of these projects,” Mr. Kyeremanten said. He was responding to questions raised by the Minority on how far government has reached with the policy implementation. The screened projects he noted have subsequently been forwarded to the appropriate financial institutions for funding.
A leading member of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the Akyem Oda constituency, Kwadwo Korankye popularly known as Yellow Man, has admonished delegates to vote for Sammy Awuku as National Organizer. Yellow Man is of the view that, Sammy Awuku is an effective politician whose tenacity and experience saw the party win political power from the incompetent National Democratic Congress (NDC). He told rainbowradionline.com that, Sammy Awuku as a youth Organizer, he was able to unify the youth irrespective of which faction they belong to. He also believes a vote for Sammy Awuku will bring victory for the governing NPP in 2020. He said: ‘’He l[Sammy Awuku] listened to every foot soldier and had a listening ear for their problem and did his best to help. He is approachable and communicates very well and that motivates the youth to always work hard for the victory of the party.’’ A victory for Sammy Awuku will bridge the gap between the youth and the elders within the party.’’ Yellow Man also called on the party to consider victory for the NPP because going into the 2020 election, we need to search some with a positive attitude to lead and organize, and galvanize all members to fight hard and maintain power come 2020. The delegates will not be far from right to vote for Sammy Awuku massively for the work to be easy,’’ he posited further. He concluded: ‘’A vote for Sammy Awuku is a vote for efficient party operations towards retaining power 2020.’’ Sammy Awuku, has promised to the party a winning machine when elected. Mr Awuku’s bold promise comes ahead of the party’s national delegates’ conference slated for July to elect party executives. According to National Organiser aspirant, when given the nod, his policies would make the NPP the most vibrant and attractive political party in the country. He also promised to liaise with the Youth Organizer that will be elected, to establish a youth secretariat of the party to coordinate the affairs of the young ones in the party.
The National Identification Authority (NIA) has announced its preparedness for the mass registration after registering staff of the Presidency and Parliament. Speaking on Nyankonton mu Nsem onRainbow Radio 87.5FM today (Wednesday), the Public Relations Officer of NIA, Francis Palmdeti said that, registration of institutions is currently ongoing in Accra and added that the mass registration will soon kick start in Accra. He also said the schedule for the registration will be 3,2 and 1-month(s) registration in Greater Accra, Ashanti, Volta, Northern, Brong Ahafo, Upper West, Upper East, Eastern, Central and Western region respectively. He further explained that, the dense population in Greater Accra and Ashanti Region informed the 3 and 2 months registration duration. He later said that the exercise might extend into next year since all these regions will not have their registration simultaneously. On the requirements for the Ghana Card as stipulated by the National Identification Authority, Mr. Palmdeti said, the authority will consistently create awareness on the requirements for the registration exercise for Ghanaians to be abreast with necessary requirements for the registration. People we have already registered at Jubilee House, Immigration and Prison Service were already abreast with the requirements. Nevertheless, we will continually educate people on the requirements for the registration, he said. On the issue on whether the requirements for registration will change in the rural areas or not, the PRO emphasized that, their main aim is to register a larger population of Ghanaians resident in and outside Ghana and they do not seek to exempt anyone from the registration and the law also frowns upon it. We were instituted by Parliament. We are not law makers but law abiders, he stressed. He added, if you do not have a passport or birth certificate, a registered relative can guarantee for your registration. Two guarantors can also serve as witnesses to register on an individual’s behalf in the absence of an already registered relative. Based on the rejection of the NHIS or the Voters’ ID card as a registration requirement, he said the information on these cards including the passport and SSNITwill be scanned for the details for easy data harmonization and integration in the future. “There is the possibility that NIA would liase with other institutions like DVLA, EC, GRA or SSNIT in the future. Ghanaians are therefore urged to come along with these cards if any for the registration to aid NIA data harmonization in the future”, he further explained. By: Prscilla Obeng Asantewaa (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
Ghana may soon be slapped with visa restrictions to the United States, a statement from the US Embassy has warned. According to the statement, Ghana has failed to comply with international obligations regarding the issuance of travel documents. The statement indicated that, the US will be forced to begin implementing the visa restrictions in accordance with U.S. law as a responsibility owed to the American people. The statement said he Government of Ghana became a signatory to the Convention on International Civil Aviation which obliges Ghana through its Embassy in Washington, D.C., and its Consulate General in New York to interview deportees on a regular basis and issue the necessary travel documents. "This helps to facilitate deportees’ departure on commercial flights. When the Government of Ghana fails to meet its ICAO obligation regarding the regular issuance of travel documents, the U.S. government is forced to employ charter flights for deportations. The Government of Ghana has the power to reduce, or even end, the use of charter flights by meeting its obligation to issue travel documents in a timely manner," the statement added. Read the entire statement below; Statement on Immigration Law and International Agreements June 20, 2018 Accra, GHANA — As sovereign nations, the Governments of the United States and Ghana each have obligations to their citizens to uphold their laws, as well as obligations to the international community to comply with international agreements. All nations have the right to enforce their immigration laws. The United States embraces its special character as a nation of immigrants, and we continue to welcome those who enter the United States legally and respect U.S. laws. However, enforcing our immigration laws is a responsibility we owe to the American people, just as Ghana enforces its own laws. So far this year, Ghana has used its own legal processes to deport 100 individuals of different nationalities who were found to be in violation of the law. The Government of Ghana became a signatory to the Convention on International Civil Aviation in 1957. Under International Civil Aviation Organization guidelines, the Government of Ghana, through its Embassy in Washington, D.C., and its Consulate General in New York, has an obligation to interview deportees on a regular basis and issue the necessary travel documents. This helps to facilitate deportees’ departure on commercial flights. When the Government of Ghana fails to meet its ICAO obligation regarding the regular issuance of travel documents, the U.S. government is forced to employ charter flights for deportations. The Government of Ghana has the power to reduce, or even end, the use of charter flights by meeting its obligation to issue travel documents in a timely manner. In December 2016, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) identified Ghana as being at risk of non-compliance on removals of those under deportation orders. Since then, the U.S. government has repeatedly engaged the Government of Ghana in both Washington, D.C., and Accra and has urged the government to abide by its international obligations and issue the necessary travel documents so that Ghanaians under deportation orders may depart the United States on commercial flights. If Ghana fails to comply with international obligations regarding the issuance of travel documents, the United States may be forced to begin implementing visa restrictions on Ghana, in accordance with U.S. law. The United States of America takes its legal and human rights obligations very seriously. In the course of enforcing U.S. immigration laws, the U.S. government would strongly prefer that individuals under deportation orders depart the United States via commercial air carriers, as regular passengers. We encourage Ghanaians to abide by legal processes if they seek to immigrate to the United States. We commend the Government of Ghana for taking steps to promote private sector growth that will create employment opportunities for Ghanaians; foster even greater security; and ensure a promising future for Ghana’s youth, thereby minimizing illegal immigration to the United States.
Daniel Asiedu, the prime suspect in the murder of J.B. Danquah Adu has confessed that he was contracted to kill the lawmaker. Daniel Asiedu on Wednesday said that he will name his contractors when the time comes and that they are officials of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP). Asiedu's confession in court came as a surprise. When the case was called Wednesday morning, he raised his hand and indicated that he had something to say. When he was offered the opportunity, he confessed that he was contracted to kill the former Member of Parliament for Abuakwa North. J.B. Danquah Adu was killed in his house at East Legon in February 2015. Daniel Asiedu is currently facing a committal process at the District Court for a murder trial at the High Court. The Attorney General will therefore take account of his confession at the District Court and add it to the bill of indictment for the court to consider whether the state has a prima facie case against Asiedu for him to be tried for murder. It is at the High Court that the jury will determine whether Asiedu is guilty. Credit: GraphicOnline
The body of Dr Aya Hayfron who drowned last Monday has been found in the Kpeshie Lagoon. According to GraphicOnline, body was covered with weeds when it was found. She was carried away by floodwaters at Teshie Rasta in Accra and was swept in the Lagoon, GraphicOnline reported.
The Progressive People’s Party (PPP) has advised the National Democratic Congress (NDC), to rescind its decision to boycott the registration for the National Identity cards popularly known as Ghana card. The PPP is of the view that, it will be politically suicidal for the largest opposition party to hold onto their hypocritical and unacceptable stance on the criteria for the registration. Murtala Mohammed, General Secretary of the PPP said, the decision by the Minority to boycott the exercise, is untenable because they exhausted all the laid down procedures before the Act governing the NIA, was amended and unanimously supported its passage. A statement issued by the Minority on the matter read: ‘’…we remain opposed to the restriction of identification requirements for registration to Passports and Birth Certificates. Our analysis show that this will prevent about 23 million Ghanaians from obtaining the Ghana Card and deprive them of any benefit thereof. We also have grave concerns about potential breaches of Procurement laws and processes. In view of the foregoing, we are unbale to participate in the registration exercise slated for tomorrow at Parliament house.’’ But Murtala Mohammed believes the Minority is engaging in a minor political issue and stressed the law was accented by the MPs hence the caucus on the side of the Minority, makes no sense. He challenged them to provide one major reason why the NDC boycotted the issue since in his view, the problems they raised have solutions. ‘’Then we wake up one morning and they said they have boycotted the registration. We [PPP] think that it is unacceptable and the reason given is untenable. It will be a political suicide for the NDC if they fail to rescind the decision to boycott the registration,’’ he posited. ''All they are trying to do is to appeal to a certain category of people in our society. They know that what they are doing is hypocritical but they are trying to score cheap political point. They will soon register. Members on the side of the Minority will soon register. The NDC is playing on the emotion of some group of people so that they people will be agitated.''
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« June 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30