The 10 regional chairmen of the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), have issued a statement calling on former President John Dramani Mahama who was defeated in his attempt to seek a second term bid in 2016, to consider representing the party in 2020.
The statement which was signed by the Greater ACCRA Regional Chairman, Ade Coker; Ashanti Regional Chairman, James Obimpeh; Central Regional Chairman, Allotey Jacobs; Eastern Regional Chairman, Tawiah Boateng; Volta Regional Chairman, John G. Kwadwo; Brong Ahafo Regional Chairman, Opoku Atuahene; Upper East Regional Chairman Alhaji Mumuni Bonaba; Upper West Regional Chairman, Maathew Song-Aabo; Northern Regional Chairman, Sofo Azoka and Western Regional Chairman Michael Aidoo said :’’At the meeting held today [Thursday] November 9.2017 in Cantonments, Accra with HE John Dramani Mahama, former President of the Republic of Ghana, we the ten regional (10) chairpersons of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), have called on HE John Dramani to consider the request of teaming supporters of the NDC and Ghanaians to lead the party to the 2020 General Elections.’’
The statement also called on the former president to embark on a thank you tour across the regions in Ghana and thank Ghanaians for their support for the NDC over the past 8 years.
The statement said we [chairpersons] ‘’invited the former President to as a matter of urgency, embark on the delayed and much-awaited ‘Thank You Tour’ to thank supporters of the NDC for supporting him through his tenure and the party over the years.’’
Saudi Arabia’s attorney general says at least $100bn (£76bn) has been misused through systemic corruption and embezzlement in recent decades.
Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb said 199 people were being held for questioning as part of a sweeping anti-corruption drive that began on Saturday night.
He did not name any of them, but they reportedly include senior princes, ministers and influential businessmen.
“The evidence for this wrongdoing is very strong,” Sheikh Mojeb said.
The Minority in Parliament has accused the Nana Addo led government of blowing GHc177 million on processes that preceded the issuance of the energy sector bond.
Former Deputy Finance Minister under erstwhile Mahama led administration and Minority’s spokesperson on Finance, Cassiel Ato Forso, said government spent GHc87 million on administrative expenses, as well as GHc400, 000 on the printing of material for the energy bond roadshow.
He has therefore called for a parliamentary probe into the matter.
Speaking to the press at a press conference today [Thursday], the elegislator said “From the cost that I have that the taxpayer is paying; the state is paying the arrangers, the banks, GHc87.5 million. The state is paying legal fees of GHc700, 000; the state is paying the accountant, GHc350,000. Surprisingly, the state is paying administrative expenses of GHc80 million. Overall the state is paying GHc177 million. I think this amount is way too much.” Mr. Ato Forson argued that, when the $1 billion Eurobond was issued under John Mahama’s administration, the amount spent was way lower than what the current administration is spending.
“This is not the first time the state is raising a bond. The last bond we raised under the Eurobond of $1 billion which translates to about GHc4.4 billion, the total cost was under 0.2 percent. Today, we are seeing a bond that we are raising for about 4 billion and the cost is about 1.77 percent.
He added: “I think it is important that we ask questions. So the question we are asking is that we want the Ministry of Finance to provide the state with further and better particulars. We are asking for full breakdown of what constituted the administrative expenses. Printing of the road show material was GHc400, 000. We are going to haul the Minister before Parliament, to give us full breakdown to account for every cedi that has been spent so far. We think it is way too much and we smell something fishy.’’
Government issued a ten year and seven year bond with the aim of getting GHc6 billion to offset the legacy debts of the energy sector which was about GHc10 billion, but in all, a total of GHc4.69 billion was realized even after a seven day extension period.
The 7-year component raked in 2.4 billion cedis as targeted, at an interest rate of 19 percent.
However, the 10-year bond failed to hit the 3.6 billion cedis mark.
The Ashanti Regional police Command has arrested some suspected armed robbers from their hideous at Dichemso, a suburb of Kumasi , during intelligence led operation for their involvement in various armed robberies within the Kumasi metropolis and its environs, a statement signed by ASP Juliana Obeng, PRO for the region has said.
The suspects are Emmanuel Fosu 27years alias "Alhaji", Farouk Amadu 25years alias " Burger" and Salui Yakubu 28years alias "Baba Tunde " alias TI. These suspects on board an Opel Astra Taxi Cab pick unsuspecting female passengers. In the course of their journey these suspects forcibly remove the dress of their victims and tie them with it. They additionally blindfold them and rob them of their monies and mobile phones, the statement added.
According to her, the suspects on usual occasions subject their victims to inhuman treatment by beating them mercilessly and sometimes rape them and dump them of in obscure places or in nearby bushes leaving them to their fate.
The statement further added: ‘’During investigations, Farouk Amadu alias "Burger" admitted his involvement in a robbery with his accomplices that led to the death of one their victims. He narrated to the police that they picked two female passengers at kejatia about five weeks ago and subjected the victims to severe beatings and thereafter dumped them off in a bush. One of the victims, a 58 year old Cecilia Boakye Fordjour who sustained severe injuries and was rushed to Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital by her colleague victim and a good Samaritan was pronounced dead on arrival.
During an identification parade at the forecourt of the Regional Police Headquarters, all the three suspects Farouk Amadu , Saliu Yakubu and Emmanuel Fosu were identified by their victims.
In a related development the three suspects informed Police about the activities of other accomplices and mentioned one Lukeman Mohammed alias "Alfa" and Awudu Osman alias " Awudu Ninja" alias "Burger" and other three suspects who are currently in the run that they use motorbikes to rob their victims at gun point.
Suspects Lukeman Mohammed and Awudu Osman were traced and arrested at their hideouts. They confessed to the police that they have arms (pistols) they had hidden in an uncompleted storey building at Sepe a suburb of Kumasi. The two suspects led the police to the area to retrieve the pistol.
The suspects took the police to four separate hideouts without any trace of the said pistol. Whiles the search was ongoing, the two suspects who were in a separate handcuffs jumped from a one storey building to escape frome the police. They were however, chased and fired to immobilize them from escaping , but suspect Awudu Osman died instantly, whiles suspects Lukeman Mohammed was pronounced dead in arrival at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital. Bodies of the deceased have since been deposited at the same hospital morgue.
However, the first three suspects Emmanuel Fosu , Farouk Amadu and Saliu Yakubu are in custody assisting in investigations. The other three suspects whose names have been given to the police are in the run and are being sought for to help police investigations.
In another development the Regional police Command today 9th November, 2017 has arrested yet another suspect by name Akwesi Yeboah 26years. This suspect with two of his accomplices, who are currently on the run, are also part of a different syndicate also noted for (pick and rob) of unsuspecting female passengers using the above modus Operandi. Investigation so far indicates that there are different groups of armed robbery syndicates who are using Taxi Cab to rob unsuspecting female passengers when they are picked up.
The Command wishes to use this platform to send a very strong warning to individuals and members of the various syndicates to desist from the acts or face the full rigors of the law, the statement concluded.
Parliament has given a legal backing for the establishment of a fund to cater for the wife and two children of Major Maxwell Adam Mahama with the passage of the Major Mahama Trust Fund Bill, 2017.
Parliamentary correspondent for Rainbow Radio, Naa Darkua Dodoo in her report said the bill would ensure that all money intended for the welfare and upkeep generally, and particularly the education of the children were properly administered by a Board of Trustees who had a fiduciary relationship with the beneficiaries of the fund and the country.
The fund she indicated would have trustees to be headed by the Minister of Defence and four other members, including the Chairman and the Ranking Member of the Defence and Interior Committee of Parliament, the Ranking Member on the Defence and Interior Committee of Parliament, a former Government Statistician, Madam Grace Bediako and a representative from his family.
In an interview with the media after the bill was passed, Defence Minister Dominic Nitiwul, said the establishment of the fund sent a signal that if people sacrificed for the country, their contributions would be acknowledged by the state.
According to him, with the passage of the Bill into an Act, the President would, within a short while, accent to the Act to become a law.
Major Mahama, an officer of the 5th Infantry Battalion of the Ghana Armed Forces (GAF), was lynched by a mob at Denkyira Obuasi on May 29, 2017, while on detachment duties. He was in the area as part of an operation to clamp down on illegal mining known as 'galamsey'.
China's first space station, Tiangong-1, has been out of control since September 2016, and now experts have predicted when and where it will come crashing back down to Earth.
The European Space Agency (ESA) predicts that the 8.5-tonne spacecraft will make an 'uncontrolled re-entry' to our planet between January and March 2018.
While a precise landing location remains unclear, ESA has provided the latitudes between which Tiangong-1 is likely to land – and countries at risk include Spain, Italy, Turkey, India and parts of the US.
ESA has announced that it is hosting an international campaign to monitor the re-entry of Tiangong-1 early next year.
The Tiangong-1 spacecraft launched in 2011, with the aim of using the craft to set up a larger space station.
But in September 2016, Chinese officials confirmed that they had lost control of the spacecraft.
The craft is now at about 300 kilometres (186 miles) altitude in an orbit that is expected to decay sometime between January and March 2018, when it will make an uncontrolled re-entry.
Holger Krag, head of ESA's Space Debris Office, said: 'Owing to the geometry of the station's orbit, we can already exclude the possibility that any fragments will fall over any spot further north than 43°N or further south than 43°S.
'This means that re-entry may take place over any spot on Earth between these latitudes, which includes several European countries, for example.
'The date, time and geographic footprint of the re-entry can only be predicted with large uncertainties.
'Even shortly before re-entry, only a very large time and geographical window can be estimated.'
Much of the spacecraft is expected to burn up in the atmosphere upon re-entry.
But owing to the station's mass and construction materials, there is a possibility that some portions of it will survive and reach the surface.
In the history of spaceflight, no casualties due to falling space debris have ever been confirmed.
ESA plans to conduct an international expert workshop on 28 February to focus on re-entry predictions, in the hopes of anticipating Tiangong's return to Earth.
Source: DAILY MAIL
The Member of Parliament for North Tongu Mr. Okudzeto Ablakwa has donated has donated items to the Battor Senior High School and the Mepe St. Kizito SHS to ease problems associated with the Free SHS programme.
The MP for North Tongu donated 200 pieces of furniture, marker boards and boxes of markers to the two schools to enable first year students enjoying the Free SHS policy to have sound education.
According to the Ranking Member of Foreign Affairs, the donation was aimed at addressing “some of the challenges associated with the Free SHS Programme”
He also donated desks and chairs for teachers to the schools.
Chief Executive Officer of the National Petroleum Authority (NPA),Hassan Tampuli, has given indications of an increment in prices of LPG products as government prepares to implement the Cylinder Re-circulation policy.
He made the revelation when he appeared before the Mines and Energy Committee of Parliament, said the new policy will bring about additional cost in the production and supply of the product.
Detailing the process he said: “Currently the policy directive is that, we should have at most six stations. If we have any explosion it should be at those places and not anybody, so the fear and apprehension that people will be suffering will be abated to a very large extent. That is what the cylinder re -circulation module is going to achieve. It is going to lead to a little increase in the price, but it is just marginal which is going to take care of the margins for the LPG bottling plant because that is the new addition to the supply chain, and we do this for our safety and we believe that all in all, the policy of LPG cylinder re-circulation should succeed.”
Controversial man of God, Nicholas Osei popularly known as Prophet Kumchacha, has opined that, the rapist tag surrounding renowned broadcaster Kwesi Kyei Darkwah’s neck, will never fall after supporting his gay son.
According to the prophet, he once respected KKD as he is affectionately called but lost respect for him the moment he wrote on his facebook page that, he supports his son, Darkwah Kyei Darkwah after coming out as gay.
Prophet Kumchacha told Rainbow Radio’s Agyemang Prempeh that, KKD should have rebuked his son for coming out as gay instead of supporting him since the act, is demonic and against the cultural values of Ghanaians.
‘’I was highly disappointed when I heard that KKD has supported his gay son instead of rebuking him. The guy needs psychological support and prayers so he will realize that, his gay act is demonic and ungodly.’’
He quizzed, was it not the same KKD who was accused in 2014 of raping a young lady? And he has come out to support his gay son? This will make Ghanaians believe that story and describe him as someone who is not morally upright, he added.
KKD’s son came out as gay recently. The international model in an interview with an online magazine, opened up about his sexuality.
After the son came out, KKD posted on his facebook page that he supports his son despite being gay.
He was lambasted by a section of Ghanaians for failing to crack the whip on his son like he did to Patapaa, an underground musician who released the hit ‘One Corner’ single.
“Come joy or pain, sunshine or rain, success or failure, I will always love my son Darkwah Kyei-Darkwah and my daughter Ohemaa Asokwa Kyei-Darkwah. My love, care and devotion to my children are non-negotiable.”
In a lengthy post on Facebook, the broadcaster noted that, “Whilst the culture in which I was raised influenced me to lean towards raising my children as Asante, Christian, well-mannered, audacious, industrious, cosmopolitan and heterosexual, I do not consider it my place to pontificate, praise or condemn the sexuality any adult identifies,'' KKD wrote.
A Deputy National Organizer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Mahdi Jibril says the decision by suspended General Secretary of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), to haul maverick chairman for the Ashanti Region, Bernard Antwi Bosiako aka Chairman Wontumi, before the court, will vindicate former president John Dramani Mahama as an incorruptible leader.
The suspended secretary has sued Chairman Wontumi and seeking GHc400,000 for defamation.
Mr. Agyapong is asking the court to compel Chairman Wontumi to retract claims to the effect that the suspended executive plotted to ensure the NPP’s defeat in the 2016 election.
He is also seeking GHc 400,000 in damages.
Reacting to suit, Mahdi Jibril said former President Mahama was accused bribing Kwabena Agyapong with a scholarship for his wife to work against his own party.
Mahdi Jibril concluded that, officials within the party who made that allegation would be compelled to come and prove their allegations against the ex-president and the embattled party scribe in a court of competent jurisdiction.