Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Rainbow Radio - Items filtered by date: Tuesday, 05 December 2017
%PM, %05 %807 %2017 %18:%Dec

CHRAJ clears Asenso-Boakye & Jinapor

The Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), has cleared the two Deputy Chiefs of Staff, Boakye-Asenso and Abu Jinapor of any wrong doing.   A group calling itself the Dynamic Youth Movement of Ghana, petitioned CHRAJ to investigate the two following allegations of corruptions against them by controversial musician Kwame A-plus who is a sympathizer of the ruling NPP.   The two Deputy Chiefs of Staff, Francis Asenso-Boakye and Abu Jinapor, were accused of putting pressure on the CEO of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Dr. Felix Anyah, to give back a revenue-collection contract to UniBank after the same contract had been terminated.   They were cleared by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID).   But the group petitioned CHRAJ to investigate the case. CHRAJ in its findings said it was “satisfied that the evidence does not support the allegations of corruption and abUse of power against Messrs A. Jinapor and Asenso Boakye… the allegations could not be substantiated whatsoever.”   “Accordingly, this complaint is hereby dismissed as being without merit and totally unwarranted.’’
Published in General News
Meningitis has been ruled out as the cause of deaths of students at Kumasi Academy in the Ashanti region.       Addressing the media today [Tuesday], the Ashanti Regional Director of the Ghana Health Service (GHS), Dr. Emmanuel Tenkorang, said “we have done all the tests for meningitis. They are negative, so it shows that the condition is not meningitis.”   He added: ‘’ “We suspect that, most probably, there was an atypical bacterial infection, and that is the reason why we have this crisis. From the pathologist report, we believe there was an infection and most probably, it is a bacterial infection, and because of the fatalities, it is one of the atypical bacteria that we are dealing with.’’     The medical team working in the school would be administering antibiotics to the students and staff of the school to prevent the infection from spreading before the school is closed down on Friday.   According to him, the Health Service officials are partnering with a medical team from the World Health Organization to screen and treat students who have been infected.   He said  after administering the antibiotics, the team will conduct an intensive survey in the school find the possible source of the bacteria.   “From there, we will do an intensive survey in the school. We will scan the entire environment, we will investigate the kitchen, investigate every staff and the environment to see if there is any infection hiding somewhere that is causing this problem.”
Published in General News
The Lebanese national who allegedly raped his Ghanaian house help at his Airport Hills Residential home in Accra has been remanded into police custody by an Accra Central District Magistrate court.     The 39-year old accused is to reappear before the court on December 19, 2017.     The counsel for the accused prayed for bail, but the court refused on grounds that they did not have the jurisdiction to do so.   The accused is reported to have forcibly had sex with the victim around 5 pm on Saturday in the absence of his wife and other occupants of his household after subjecting her to severe beatings for resisting his demands.    
Published in Crime
Some aggrieved personnel of the National Service have petition the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), to conduct an investigation into the compulsory GHc15 per month insurance package imposed on them.   The aggrieved personnel in the petition said the insurance scheme introduced does not bind all service personnel.       Read their full petition below: TO: THE COMMISSION ON HUMAN RIGHTS AND ADMINISTRATIVE JUSTICE THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA Dear Sir, A PETITION UNDER ARTICLE 218: CLAUSES (A) AND (C) OF THE 1992 CONSTITUTION OF THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA. We the undersigned are citizens of Ghana and are currently undergoing our mandatory National services as enshrined in the National Service Act1980 (ACT 426) of Ghana. It is in the collective interest of the Republic of Ghana that is why we have taken it upon ourselves to officially drag National service secretariat before the commission for investigation into the following 1.  A breach and violation of our fundamental human right as enshrined in Article 21 clause (e) of the 1992 constitution of Ghana 2.  Abuse of power and unfair treatment by the National service secretariat against us National service Personnel. The above which is a joint looting agreement that has been entered on our behalf without our consent as service personnel between GLICO, an insurance company and the National service secretariat for monthly deduction of GHC 15 from our allowance towards an insurance policy that is seeking to bind each and every National Service person paid by the National service secretariat of which our consent has not been sought by those behind the implementation of this fraudulent policy. On the 29th November, 2017, the National service boss in a communiqué instructed all Regional NSS directors to ensure the deduction of GH ¢15 each from the allowance of Personnel starting from November. The evidence of this is contained in the archives of Citifmonline.com on 29th of November, 2017. This decision as we are told is for the welfare and benefit of every National Service person but as we speak, our colleagues whose allowances are not paid by NSS have been exempted from this policy. We are therefore of the firm belief that, this policy is discriminatory and has no legal backing to that effect aside how dubious and fraudulent it is with clear intentions to milk the ordinary Service Persons in such a criminal manner. This policy is tainted with fraud and the paragraph below is our stands.   1.  This was not stated in our appointment letters which gave birth to our legitimate service that we are currently undergoing with legal backing emanated from the National Service Scheme Act neither were we communicated to by any other formal means. 2.  That, we are not privy to the terms and conditions of this contract that has been entered on our behalf by NSS without our consent or mandate. III.           That, the mandatory deduction from the allowance is not grounded in law 1.  That, the compulsion with regards to the deduction infringes on our freedom as enshrined in Article 21 clause (e) of the constitution of Ghana because no law imposes association on citizens in a complete absence of their free will and for that being a National service person is not and cannot be an automatic definition of being a member of National service Personnel Association in whose name we are told this fraudulent policy emanated from and under implementation by GLICO and NSS respectively. 2.  That, the said policy undermines the letter and spirit of “freedom to join associations” as stated in an explicit provision of Article 21 clause (e) of the highest law of the land. 3.  It is also our contention that, since this is not grounded in any law, such a move by NSS constitute an abuse of office by those whose names have been mentioned in this petition as managers of NSS and hence ought to be struck out.   The above bulletins are reasons why we vehemently object to this by the National service secretariat. We are verily aware and believe same to be true that, the Commission on Human Right and Administrative Justice will look into this criminal conduct by managers of the National service scheme hereinafter Mr. Mustapha Ussif and Mr. Henry Nana Boakye. It is also our prayer that, the National service secretariat will be directed to halt the implementation of this policy until the substantive matter before the commission is determined in order to avert any irreparable damage that may arise as a result of the implementation of this policy. Thank You    
Published in General News
Parliament on Tuesday December 5, 2017 approved the 2018 budget statement despite opposition from the Minority, our parliamentary correspondent Naa Darkuah Dodoo, has reported.   According to her, the Minority abstained from voting on the budget.   The Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah-Bonsu commended MPs for subjecting the budget to serious scrutiny since it was laid before the House.     He said:  “I want to show appreciation to my colleagues in the House, Majority and Minority for the scrutiny that they applied to the budget before us. We are going to deal with the estimates and I want to implore all my colleagues to be in attendance at all the Committee meetings in order for us to be able to deal with the estimates that have been given to the various Committees.’’     The Minister of Finance and Economic Planning, Mr Ken Ofori-Atta in November this year presented the 2018 Budget Statement and Economic Policy to Parliament. The 2018 Budget themed “Putting Ghana back to work” is informed by President Akufo-Addo’s coordinated programme for economic and social development policies which aims at creating a conducive environment for the private sector to thrive, propel growth and create employment opportunities, especially for the youth.     However, the Minority said it will be a great disservice to Ghanaians if the budget is approved.   The Member of Parliament (MP), for Asunafo South constituency, Brong Ahafo region, Mr. Eric Opoku had described the 2018 budget statement presented by the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta as misleading.    
Published in General News
US special counsel Robert Mueller has asked Germany's Deutsche Bank to provide records of accounts held by Donald Trump, according to reports. Mr Mueller issued a subpoena to the bank several weeks ago demanding data on transactions linked to the US president, Reuters news agency and a German newspaper say. Deutsche Bank has previously rejected similar requests from Democrats. Mr Mueller is investigating claims of collusion between Mr Trump and Russia. US investigators are said to be demanding information on dealings linked to Mr Trump as part of an investigation into alleged Russian influence in the US presidential election, according to Handelsblatt and Reuters. Deutsche Bank, which is one of the Trump Organisation's major lenders on its real estate projects, said it would not comment on any of its clients. In June, the German bank rejected requests for account records by Democrats in the US House of Representatives to provide details of the president's finances, citing privacy laws. As special counsel Mr Mueller, who headed the FBI for more than a decade, has the powers to subpoena records and bring criminal charges. He can also prosecute anyone who interferes in his investigation through crimes including perjury, obstruction of justice, destruction of evidence and intimidation of witnesses. Mr Mueller's office has so far spent about $3.2m (£2.4m) on attorneys, special agents and other expenses as part of its investigation, the US Department of Justice revealed in a report on Tuesday. US intelligence agencies have concluded that Moscow tried to sway the presidential election in favour of Mr Trump. It is alleged that Russian hackers stole information linked to the campaign of his rival Hillary Clinton and passed it to Wikileaks so it could be released to undermine her. Mr Trump has repeatedly denied any collusion with Russia, calling the allegations a "witch hunt".   Source:BBC
Published in General News
The Swiss government has announced that it will return $320m (£240m) of the money allegedly stolen by Nigeria's late military ruler Sani Abacha. The money was frozen in 2014 by a Swiss court after a legal procedure against his son, Abba Abacha. Originally deposited in Luxembourg, it is a fraction of the billions of dollars allegedly looted during his rule from 1993 to 1998. Recovering the "Abacha loot" has been a major priority for Nigeria. President Muhammadu Buhari made the recovery of stolen assets a major part of his 2015 election campaign and this will be the largest yet. Although an agreement to repatriate the money was signed in March, the Nigerian Ministry of Justice, the World Bank and lawyers from Switzerland and the US have been grappling with legal complications surrounding the return of the money, says the BBC's Stephanie Hegarty in Abuja. However on Monday, Switzerland announced that the battle was over and that the money will finally be returned. It didn't say precisely when, but it did say that the World Bank must be involved in supervising how the money was spent, to ensure it was used "for the benefit of the Nigerian people". "The fight against corruption is one of Switzerland's priorities" Swiss Foreign Minister Didier Burkhalter said, adding that the move should "strengthen social security for the poorest Nigerians", AFP reports.     Source: BBC
Published in General News
The Kumasi Academy in the Ashanti region is expected to be closed won following the number of deaths recorded in the school.     Some eight students have died in a case suspected to be meningitis.   This decision to close down the school was taken after a meeting with the Ashanti Regional Health Directorate, the Ghana Education Service, and the school’s Parents and Teacher Association.   Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah said as part of the screening exercise at the school “we will give doses to all the students, teaching staff and non-teaching staff. I am told it is going to be a three-day exercise.”   The screening he explained was necessary to minimize the risk posed by the supposed ‘mysterious’ illness. “Immediately after the exercise, we will close down the school and ask all the students to go home. The reason why we don’t want to close the school now is that, we don’t want a situation whereby if the disease is infectious and some students have already got the infection, they are going to infect their whole family with it. That will be a serious risk” he added.     The school will be closed down on Friday, December 8,2017.
Published in General News
The National Communications Authority (NCA) has issued a statement clarifying that the Tribunal’s ruling on Monday affected only 9 radio stations out of the 131 stations sanctioned some few months ago. The Electronic Communications Tribunal on Monday directed the National Communications Authority (NCA), to halt the execution of sanctions it imposed on some radio stations in the country for various offences.     The Tribunal ordered that, pending the final determination of the case that had been brought before it by the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA), the NCA must not apply the penalties imposed on the defaulting stations     But the statement by the NCA says only 9 stations were affected by the rilung.   Below is the full statement The Electronic Communications Tribunal has adjourned the case in which the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) had filed an appeal at the Tribunal seeking redress for nine of its members affected by the September 2017 sanctions. The Electronic Communications (Rules of Procedure of the Electronic Communications Tribunal) Regulations 2016, LI 2235 states in Regulation 9 headed ‘Effect of an Appeal’ that: (1) An appeal shall not operate as a stay of execution in respect of the decision or order appealed against except where the tribunal otherwise determines. (2) Despite sub regulation (1), an appellant may reply to the Tribunal by motion on notice for a stay of execution of the decision or order that the appellant has appealed against. (3) A decision or order that is the subject of an appeal shall be stayed when an application under sub regulation (2) is pending. (4) The Authority shall stay the execution of a decision or an order where a. the Tribunal makes an order under sub regulation (2) to that effect; or b. an application under sub regulation (2) is pending. It was based on this that the Tribunal adjourned the hearing at the request of the NCA. It is instructive to note that, the Ghana Independent Broadcasters Association (GIBA) is a voluntary 2 the | Page association which is representing just 9 out of the 131 stations the NCA sanctioned in September. The stay of execution thus applies to the nine appellants whose authorisations would have been revoked after a deadline. The sanctions as imposed on the rest of the stations still hold until the NCA announces otherwise. The nine radio stations being represented by GIBA will have a stay of execution until the substantive case is heard. They are Mascott Multi-Service Limited (Atlantis Radio 87.9FM), Supermax Media Company (Max 102.9FM, Kalvice Company Limited (Kaleawo 107.3FM), Network Broadcasting Limited (Radio Gold 90.5FM), Progress Multimedia Limited (Radio Hogbe 106.5FM), Digital Broadcasting Systems Company Limited (Vision 90.9FM), Singwado Broadcasting Company (Radio Silver 92.3FM), Trickie FM Limited (Trickie 99.5FM) and Gary Express Service Limited (Beach 105.5FM). The Authority wishes to inform the public that until the hearing is concluded, efforts will be made to ensure compliance from all Licencees and Authorisation Holders.      
Published in General News
The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has applauded the contribution of Zenith Bank to the deepening of financial intermediation in the country. Describing Zenith Bank as “a pan-African Bank”, which is operating in several places on the continent, and in ECOWAS region, President Akufo-Addo stated that “these are the institutions, with encouragement and support, that are going to bring our continent together, and bring us that integrated, united West Africa and Africa, that, I believe, is the platform for the future prosperity of our people”. The President made this known on Monday, 4th December, 2017, when he commissioned the new headquarters of Zenith Bank, at Ridge, in Accra. Explaining the rationale for his presence at the ceremony, President Akufo-Addo stated that “what is going on here [at Zenith Bank] ticks of so many boxes that are important to me, and I thought I should come here and show my solidarity with what is going on here.” The President noted that, in the example of Mr Jim Ovia, founder of Zenith Bank, “We have, first of all, the example of a dynamic entrepreneur, who has built this company, which has gone global. It is in South Africa, England, China, and several places in Africa.” He continued, “The initiative and sense of risk-taking and entrepreneurship that Zenith Bank represents is what, I believe, will drive our country and our continent forward. We need many more Jim Ovias. The more the merrier.” President Akufo-Addo also congratulated Zenith Bank for “paying attention to such an important, other aspect of our development, that is the education of our young people. This scholarship to Ashesi University is a tremendous initiative, and I applaud him very much for it.” The President assured the bank of Government’s maximum support, and wished all those associated with Zenith Bank the best of luck in the coming years.  
Published in Business
Page 1 of 3
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« December 2017 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31