Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Rainbow Radio - Items filtered by date: Saturday, 09 December 2017
%PM, %09 %585 %2017 %13:%Dec

Boy, 13, arrested for defilement

The Nyinahin District police in the Ashanti Region has arrested a 13-year-old boy for allegedly defiling a one-and-a-half-year-old girl at Nyinahin, capital of the Atwima Mponua District. The suspect (name withheld) will be charged with defilement, according to the police. ASP Ambrose Aboagye, Nyinahin District Police Commander, told Hello Fm in Kumasi that the victim was on admission at the Nyinahin Government Hospital, while the suspect had been detained by the police. He said the 13-year-old boy sexually abused a toddler in the community previously. The police chief disclosed that the case had been forwarded to the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit (DOVVSU) of the Ghana Police Service, which would arraign the suspect before court and give the victim psychological treatment. “The toddler needs psychological therapy to deal with the trauma, and the boy will also have to undergo counselling after his trial,” ASP Aboagye declared. He admonished members of the public against settling rape cases at home in order not to embolden prospective defilers to indulge in the crime. Credit: Daily Guide
Published in General News
At least 14 UN peacekeepers have been killed and 53 wounded in an attack in the east of the Democratic Republic of Congo. The UN's Monusco mission said the peacekeepers were attacked by suspected rebels of the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) in North Kivu province. Five Congolese soldiers also died. UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said it was the worst attack on UN peacekeepers in recent history and amounted to a "war crime". "I want to express my outrage and utter heartbreak at last night's attack. There must be no impunity for such assaults, here or anywhere else," he said. Eastern DR Congo has suffered years of instability with rival groups fighting for control of territory.   A Monusco statement said rebels had launched an attack against an operating base at Semuliki in Beni territory on Thursday evening. "This resulted in protracted fighting between suspected ADF elements and Monusco and FARDC [Congolese] forces," it added. The head of Monusco, Maman Sidikou, said: "I condemn in the strongest terms this deadly attack on United Nations peacekeepers and the FARDC. Monusco will take all actions to ensure that the perpetrators are held accountable and brought to justice." Writing on Twitter, Jean-Pierre Lacroix, Under-Secretary-General for Peacekeeping, said reinforcements had been sent to the scene and medical evacuations were under way.   Tanzanian President John Magufuli said he was "shocked and saddened" by the news. Suspected ADF rebels killed two peacekeepers in October, a BBC correspondent in Kinshasa says. Monusco is the UN's largest and most expensive peacekeeping operation and has been in operation since 2010. However, earlier this year the UN revealed a plan to cut the number of peacekeepers there from about 19,000 to 3,000. Several UN member states have signalled a desire to cut spending on peacekeeping. Monusco has also faced violent demonstrations by civilians, who accuse it of being ineffective.   Source:BBC
Published in General News
Iraq has announced that its war against so-called Islamic State is over. Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi told a conference in Baghdad that Iraqi troops were now in complete control of the Iraqi-Syrian border. The border zone contained the last few areas IS held, following its loss of the town of Rawa in November. The Iraqi announcement comes two days after the Russian military declared it had accomplished its mission of defeating IS in neighbouring Syria. The jihadist group had seized large swathes of Syria and Iraq in 2014, when it proclaimed a "caliphate" and imposed its rule over some 10 million people. But it suffered a series of defeats over the past two years, losing Iraq's second city of Mosul this July and its de facto capital of Raqqa in northern Syria last month. Some IS fighters are reported to have dispersed into the Syrian countryside, while others are believed to have escaped across the Turkish border. Mr Abadi said on Saturday: "Our forces are in complete control of the Iraqi-Syrian border and I therefore announce the end of the war against Daesh [IS]. "Our enemy wanted to kill our civilisation, but we have won through our unity and our determination. We have triumphed in little time." The Iraqi armed forces issued a statement saying Iraq had been "totally liberated" from IS. Last month, the Syrian military said it had "fully liberated" the eastern border town of Albu Kamal, IS's last urban stronghold in that country. On Thursday, the head of the Russian general staff's operations, Col-Gen Sergei Rudskoi, said: "The mission to defeat bandit units of the Islamic State terrorist organisation on the territory of Syria, carried out by the armed forces of the Russian Federation, has been accomplished." He said Russia's military presence in Syria would now concentrate on preserving ceasefires and restoring peace. The collapse of IS has raised fears that its foreign fighters will escape over Syria's borders to carry out more attacks abroad.   Source: BBC
Published in General News
The President of the Republic of Ghana, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has been named as one of the three most influential African Leaders. Ghana’s President was named alongside Rwandan President Paul Kagame and Guinean President Alpha Conde by the New African Magazine annual 100 Most Influential Africans of 2017.     Nigeria's Vice President Yemi Osinbajo was listed in the Politics and Public Service category for his extraordinary caretaker role during President Muhammadu Buhari's 103-day medical leave.     With more than 8 categories namely  politics and public service, business and finance, civil society and activism, education, science-technology-innovation, media, arts and culture, 42 women were also captured on the list.         Out of entries from 31 countries, 12 came from Francophone Africa with Nigeria topping the nomination list with 21 entries. South Africa came second with 14 names.      Renowned business gurus such as Nigeria's Aliko Dangote, Tanzania's Mohammed Dewji Angola’s Isabel dos Santos and Jean-Claude Bastos de Morais were named in the Business and Finance category.     Omar Ben Yedder. Group Publisher and Managing Director of IC Publication in a statement said the Magazine's readers will be pleased with the 2017 list because of its diverse nature.This list, if nothing else, displays the beauty and power of the diversity that makes the Africa we love."         Anver Versi, New African Magazine's Editor, explained that this year's list looked out for people whose work or activity has had some "transformative effect outside their main calling."   He added: "Many in our selection have shattered the proverbial glass-ceilings or disability stigma and do so with great bravery, determination and personal sacrifice. Others yield economic power that impacts world markets.’’
Published in General News
Former President John Dramani Mahama has said the previous administration under his watch, left behind a stable economy. His assertions are in sharp contrast to claims by the current President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo that, the Mahama led administration left behind an unstable economy. Nana Akufo-Addo recently stated that unlike former President John Agyekum Kufour who left the country with a lot more resources which empowered his successor John Atta Mills to embark on many developmental projects for the country, same cannot be said of the John Mahama government as his [Akufo-Addo] administration did not inherit a stable economy.   President Akufo-Addo, as far back as his first State of the Nation address, lamented that his administration did not inherit a stable economy from the erstwhile Mahama-led government, which missed all the targets set for the country under the International Monetary Fund (IMF) programme due to fiscal indiscipline in the management of public funds.   However, the president who posted a post on his Facebook page in remembering the 2016 elections said, ‘’ As we have demonstrated in the period following the elections and a year after the polls, we are a Party that believes and has demonstrably exhibited our strong commitment to strengthening our country’s democratic credentials and building a peaceful and stable economy. He also used the opportunity to commend the party executives, sympathizers and said although it was their desire to win, they could not.   Read below the full post One year on after the December 7, 2016 election, I salute all our executives, supporters and sympathisers of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), who worked tirelessly during the polls to achieve success for the party. While the outcome was not what we desired, let us thank the Almighty God for his bountiful blessings as we are enjoined to do in all circumstances. As we have demonstrated in the period following the elections and a year after the polls, we are a Party that believes and has demonstrably exhibited our strong commitment to strengthening our country’s democratic credentials and building a peaceful and stable economy. Let’s continue to use the opportunity we are presented with, to work hard and diligently towards the reorganization of our party as we prepare for the next elections in 2020.   I am convinced beyond any doubt, that our party, the NDC, remains the most citizen-friendly and development-oriented political party in Ghana and we must continue to work in the interest of the Ghanaian People.
Published in General News
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Mr. Asante Apeatu has bemoaned the lack of professionalism on the part of some police officers and has since cautioned them to turn over a new leaf.   The IGP says he has become tired at the rate at which his photograph was being used as reference to negative reportage about the unprofessional conduct of some police officers. Conveying a message on behalf of the IGP at a press briefing to announce the preparedness of the police ahead of the festive season, Director General in charge of operations, COP Dr. George Dampare, admonished officers to eschew all forms of unprofessional behaviour.   He said for the police to succeed, ''we  must first work on ourselves to become more professional as enshrined in the vision of the police to become a world class police service, capable of delivering planned, democratic, proactive, and peaceful services up to the standard of international best practice. According to him, the five (5) pillars of the transformational agenda of the service have the welfare and the professional development of police personnel as one of the areas of concern. He said, ‘’the little progress we’ve made in this area, during the transformation process, will be brought to bear on our work during this festive season.’’   COP Dampare urged the police personnel to exhibit high sense of professionalism this season so they will make themselves, families, police service and the nation proud.   Meanwhile, the police has deployed over 14, 200 personnel for the festive season.   Another 18,000 have been assigned traditional police duties with another 1,200 drawn from the SWAT, Anti-terrorism unit and other specialized units of the service to assist this season.
Published in General News
The Foreign Affairs Ministry has issued a statement to distance itself from comments made by the Speaker of Parliament, Prof. Aaron Mike Oquaye in acknowledging Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, days after the United States President Donald Trump did same.     In an interview with Israeli media network, i24NEWS on Tuesday in relation to these developments, Prof. Oquaye said Ghana would abide with Israel’s wishes on the standing of Jerusalem because “whatever Israel wants, we in Ghana will go by that, because that is essentially an internal decision.” The Speaker was in Israel as part of the “Power Africa” initiative where he also alluded to the strong “historical ties between Israel and Ghana.”   But the Ministry says the comments by the Speaker does not represent that of Ghana.   ‘’While appreciating the interest taken by Rt. Hon. Mike Ocquaye, the Foreign Ministry wishes to emphasize that it is a personal view to which the Rt. Hon. Speaker is entitled,” a statement from the Ministry said.     The ministry added: “Ghana has always supported the position that the Palestinian-Isreali conflict should be resolved peacefully between the parties themselves and all the stakeholders involved. It is therefore important to all stakeholders and observers to remain neutral until final resolution by partners.” The statement also noted that Ghana has generally called “for a fair and comprehensive resolution of the conflict.” “While the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration does not wish to stifle debates on this issue which is of international concern, the Minister will appeal to all well-minded persons to take cognizance of the sensitivity of the issue.”     President Donald Trump few days ago recognised the disputed city of Jerusalem as Israel's capital. The declaration was an historic decision that overturns decades of US policy and risks triggering a fresh spasm of violence in the Middle East. "I have determined that it is time to officially recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel," the US leader said in a speech from the White House.     Various groups from Palestine on Wednesday called for a general strike and rallies to protest Trump's announcement.
Published in General News
The Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has announced that government will bear the costs of all deceased students of the Kumasi Academy in the Ashanti Region following the suspected outbreak of Influenza type A, H1N1 2009, also known as Swine Flu. He made the announcement when he visited the school to commensurate with bereaved families.   Speaking during a meeting with the school’s authorities and the bereaved families, he said, “President Nana Akufo-Addo said I should tell the affected families the government will cater for all their funeral expenses and hospital expenses. The government will take up those costs.” He added that “the President said we should give every family an initial amount of GHc 5,000… then we’ll take it from there.”     The Vice President entreated  the public to be calm since the virus was treatable adding that some medication for treatment was already in the school “and more would be coming on the way.”     “So there is so much effort going on at the moment but the reports I am getting is that it has been contained right now but we still need to be very vigilant,” Dr. Bawumia added.    
Published in General News
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« December 2017 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31