A man believed to be in his 50s Kojo Braimah, has committed suicide by hanging himself to death at the Agona West Constituency village of Oboyambo in the Central Region.
An eyewitness who narrated the story to Rainbow Radio said Mr. Kojo Braimah had earlier on informed his wife, Madam Abena of his plans to travel but did not tell exactly where he was heading for.
Later on Monday noon, the wife found her husband dead, hanging in his cocoa farm.
She then rushed home to report the unfortunate incident. The police has since picked up the body ahead of further investigations.
By: Daniel Asuku
A member of the Volta Regional communications team of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), Supremo Tetteh is of the view that, an investigation by the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), will settle the fracas between Gender Minister Otiko Djaba and Northern regional Chairman Bugri Naabu.
According to him, Ghanaians will have doubts following the allegation leveled against the latter that, he takes cows and goats from people and promise to give them positions.
Meanwhile, Bugri Naabu has also launched an attack on Otiko Djaba accusing her of having a hand in the death of the late Adams Mahama the late NPP’s Upper East regional chairman.
He suggested that if CHRAJ fails to institute independent investigations to ascertain the facts, it will smack the integrity and incorruptible nature of the president.
The two senior party members have in the past three days launched scathing attacks against each other with serious allegations some of which borders on criminality being made in the media.
But speaking to rainbowradioonline.com before the party gagged it members from making any further comments on the matter, he called for clam and advised the two to exercise caution in their utterances.
A Deputy General Secretary of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Koku Anyidoho has taken a swipe at the State Secretary of the Akyem Abuakwa Traditional Council Mr. Daniel Marfo Ofori-Atta, for saying that, NDC introduced galamsey on a large scale in the Eastern Region.
Mr. Daniel Marfo Ofori-Atta in an interview with Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, said, in the year 2009, galamsey was not prominent in the Eastern but after the late Mills’ came into office, they introduced the youth into mining under the Youth Employment Programme. Baba Jamal who was appointed the Deputy Eastern Regional Minister, recruited some miners, bought them an excavator to engage in galamsey,’’ he alleged.
He added, the miners were given government protection and that informed the decision of other young people to join.
The Secretary of Akyem State was reacting to the BNI report which has indicted the Okyenhene and accused him of engaging in illegal mining.
But responding to the claims on Nyankonton Mu Nsem, Koku Anyidoho rubbished the allegation and denied that the NDC introduced a youth in mining module under the late Mills’.
He said, this is the first time I am hearing about youth in mining module. We introduced a number of modules but youth in mining was not part of them.''
The deputy scribe of the NDC asked the Traditional Council to carry their cross and stop blaming others for their woes.
He said, if you have sold your land to people and they are engaging in illegal mining, why blame some else?
‘’The secretary should be mindful of his comments. If the Okyenhene has been indicted and they are incensed, they should deal with it at the palace and ensure that they do not blame the late Mills. He died about five years ago and so, they should allow him to rest in peace.’’
The Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) has disclosed that, the former national welterweight champion Isaac Aryee who was allegedly knocked down whilst driving a motorbike by a car driven by one officer Aikins of the Mamprobi Police on Wednesday afternoon on the Mortuary Road in Accra, needs GH₵14,000 to undergo surgery on a broken neck.
According to a statement issued by the spokesperson of the GBA, Naa Darkuah Dodoo, Aryee should have undergone surgery days ago but he has been unable to raise the funds needed to undergo the procedure.
"Former national welterweight champion, Isaac Aryee urgently needs GH₵14,000 for the surgery. They have to transfer him to the surgical ward," the statement said.
The boxer according to some eyewitnesses who spoke to Rainbow Radio Sports, the officer drove away without attending to the injured boxer who was in critical condition until Aryee was saved by a good samaritan who rushed him to the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.
The Economic and Organised Crime Office has extended an invitation to the former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC), Sedinam Tamakloe Attionu in connection with some investigations into her tenure.
But the former CEO is out of the country a statement from her counsel has said.
''Mrs. Attionu is out of the country on an important family assignment. She has committed to full cooperation, without prejudice, immediately on her return. In her absence and until her return, her attorneys Lexkudoz Law Firm, will begin the process of engagement with EOCO,'' the statement said.
Below is a copy of the statement issued by her lawyer
STATEMENT ON BEHALF OF SEDINA TAMAKLOE ATTIONU, FORMER CEO OF MASLOC
I, Victor Adawudu, attorney-at-law, issue this statement on behalf of Mrs. Sedina Tamakloe Attionu, former Chief Executive Officer of the Microfinance and Small Loans Centre (MASLOC).
Mrs. Attionu has been notified of a letter of invitation from the Economic & Organised Crime Organisation (EOCO) dated May 4, 2017, requesting for information pursuant to section 19 of Act 804/10, and to meet the Acting Executive Director of EOCO at 10am on May 8, 2017.
Mrs. Attionu is out of the country on an important family assignment. She has committed to full cooperation, without prejudice, immediately on her return. In her absence and until her return, her attorneys Lexkudoz Law Firm, will begin the process of engagement with EOCO.
We hereby caution all media houses and the general public that any attempt to denigrate Mrs. Attionu or soil her hard-earned reputation with insinuations, fabrications and or twisted commentary will be met frontally and forcefully with all the legal arsenal at our disposal.
The State Secretary of the Akyem Abuakwa Traditional Council Mr. Daniel Marfo Ofori-Atta has given a hint that, all the chiefs in Akyem Abuakwa in the Eastern Region are getting ready to visit the offices of the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI) in Accra to register their displeasure over its recent report indicting the Okyenhene and his involvement in illegal mining.
The recent 31-page report, named scores of chiefs, individuals and organisations from eight regions of the country as allegedly engaged in galamsey activities.
It accused the Okyenhene, Osagyefo Amoatia Ofori Panin; the Member of Parliament (MP) for Talensi, Mr B.T. Baba, and other personalities of alleged complicity in galamsey.
However, the Traditional Council believes the report was released based on wide spread perception and rumours.
Speaking in an interview with host of Frontline on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, Mr. Ofori-Atta lamented that, the findings was released to undermine the respect, integrity and prestige of the Okyenhene that he engages in illegal mining.
According to him, the chiefs have resolved to present a protest petition to the Director of BNI over the matter.
‘’We have taken our course of action. All the chiefs in Akyem Abuakwa in the Eastern Region who are incensed about the report will storm the offices of BNI with a protest letter tomorrow [Tuesday]. We will present the protest letter to the Director of BNI. The report according to the angry chiefs is a deliberate attempt to denigrate the Okyenhene,’’ he revealed.
A legal practitioner, lawyer Morris Ampaw has suggested that the alleged sex video which Chinese female galamseyers are blackmailing powerful men with, be shown publicly.
Speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, ace broadcaster Abdul Malik Kweku Baako revealed that, some Chinese women in the business of galamsey have become untouchable because they hold secret recordings of sexual escapades with 'big men' in Ghana.
He said these women, about three of them, have video and audio recordings of powerful politicians and security officers.
Mr. Baako said “…She’s got accomplices – the other one is called Monica, the other the name has slipped me because it’s a Chinese name. Part of their strength is that they built up a certain system of blackmailing. They are women so I’m not going to use certain words, I’m not going to say certain things.
"As to when they came into town, what they intend to do, who they were, what they were, had nothing to do with galamsey, but gradually they moved from that particular trade into galamsey.
“They have video and audio recordings of people who are powerful, videos of people who we have entrusted with responsibilities to protect us as a people. That’s how dangerous the game is and that is where the strength and power of these Chinese women are coming from,” he told the host on Saturday.
Responding to the revelation in an interview with Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, lawyer Ampaw advocated and demanded for the video to be shown publicly since this will go a long way to serve as deterrent to other officials as it was done to the judges when the bribery scandal hit the judicial service 2 years ago, questioning if the leaders involved in the Chinese galamsey sex scandal are above the law.
‘’We need to name and shame them just like we did to the judges. I am calling on the state; we should invite the Chinese nationals and interrogate the matter. Are we being fair to the judges? When the judges took bribes, Ghanaians advocated for the video to be viewed and so we should also advocate for the video to be viewed to expose the corruption by our leaders. They have destroyed this country and we need to expose them.’’
By: Nana Adwoa Owusu
President Nana Akufo-Addo has hinted that Ghana will accept any ruling by the Tribunal for the International Law of the Sea over the dispute of the maritime boundary between Ghana and Côte d’Ivoire.
The president in an address in an address during a state dinner held in his honor by the President of Cote d’Ivoire, Alassane Ouattara over the weekend said although he expects the ruling to go in favour of Ghana, he will accept the final outcome.
He said: ‘’I have come here, in an atmosphere of fraternity and solidarity, to give a new impetus to our already strong relations, and to establish a framework of co-operation to resolve whatever outstanding problems there are between our two countries. We are all aware of the litigation in Hamburg on the delimitation of our maritime boundaries.
He added: ‘’Whatever the result of that litigation, and, naturally, I hope it goes in favour of Ghana, I want to assure President Ouattara, his government and the Ivorian people of the determination of my government and I to work with you in a healthy manner of co-operation to deal with the consequences of the pending judgement.’’
According to him, ‘’What is of paramount importance to our two populations is the peaceful exploitation of the maritime resources for their benefit. The close co-operation of stable, fully functioning democracies, such as ours, will give a great push to the growth of stable, constitutional governance not just in our region, but on the entire African continent, which can only inure to the benefit and welfare of the African peoples.’’
The International Tribunal of the Law of the Sea (ITLOS), will deliver its judgement on the maritime boundary case between Ghana and Ivory Coast at the end of September this year.
The two countries ended their oral submissions in February this year.
Ghana in its final submission called on the International Tribunal of the Law of the Sea (ITLOS), not to be swayed by Ivory Coast’s argument.
‘’I shall win the NDC presidential primaries hands down to lead the party in 2020, former MP for La Dade Kotopon Nii Amasah Namoale has said on Frontline on Rainbow radio 87.5fm.
According to him, he is doing all possible to get the opportunity to be the president of the republic in 2020.
He made the remarks following Prof. Joshua Alabi’s hint he gave to Ghanaweb that, he will contest if God gives him the energy.
‘’Our party [NDC] is re-organizing now, and we want to finish the re-organization. When we finish the re-organization, those interested will come out, and I prat to God that, God will also give me the energy if God thinks I should come out,’’ Prof. Alabi said.
Mr. Namoale had earlier told Rainbow Radio that he will not contest the NDC presidential primaries if Prof. Alabi decides to contest but speaking to Kwame Tutu today [Monday] he said, ‘’I will rescind my decision to contest if Prof. Alabi files. I will fill and pay for my forms and wait till the closing date, If Joshua Alabi does not file, I will file but If Joshua Alabi files, I will not file and I will direct my support base to Joshua Alabi.
‘’I am contesting but if Joshua Alabi is on the ballot paper I will not be on the ballot. So I’m not taking chances and I’m doing everything to make sure I get the presidency but I will not contest Joshua Alabi. That is my principle.’’
When asked why he was optimistic if winning even after losing the parliamentary seat in 2016, he said, ‘’there were a number of factors that caused my defeat in 2016. I chose not to comment but because you have made this comment, I will give you reasons why I lost. It was the NDC that failed to vote for me. Our register used for the parliamentary primaries was infested with names of NPP members because my distractors saw that, my support base was becoming huge. They were thinking I will lose and become useless in the party. They thought they will destroy me but they never knew I will be rather popular.’’
He added, ‘’so all I’m saying is that, yes I lost La Dadekotopon not because NPP won, but because NDC voted against me. They [NPP] won by a difference of 5, 000 votes. I lost by 1,400. If the NDC members who voted for Mahama voted for me, I would have won. But all the same, it was an election and you have lost, you gather yourself, and see how we will take the seat. I am not contesting the parliamentary seat again, never. Whoever that comes- even including my enemies who voted against me; I will use my energy and resources to support him so we will take that seat back.’’
When asked if he have the resources to win a presidential primaries, he had this to say.
‘’That is where you people go wrong. Most people go wrong on that statement. What do you mean by resources,’’ he quizzed.
The resources will be supported by the people of Ghana. I have a way to go about it,’’ he stressed.
The Kwahu Abetifi Ankobiahene, Nana Anim Gyenfuo II has described the enstoolment of renowned pathologist, Professor Agyeman Badu Akosa as the chief of the Kwahu-Abene in the Eastern region as a sacrilege.
Reports indicate that the enstoolment ceremony took place last week at the blindside of some of the concerned chiefs.
According to him, there was a protracted dispute over the enstoolment of a new chief after the death of the previous one, but the traditional leaders have done their best to resolve the issue and so, we were surprised the pathologist was enstooled.
He explained, the enstoolment was tantamount to a coup d’état and did not also follow the traditions, customs and practices of the people in the area.
He hinted that the traditional leaders have resolved to overturn the enstoolment of Prof. Badu Akosa.
He said, ‘’Prof. Badu Akosa is not the Kwahu-Abene. He robbed his way to the stool and so we have resolved to take back what is ours.’’
He added that, even if Prof. Akosa is the next person to rule, he should have allowed the laid down procedures to be followed.
Meanwhile, Professor Agyeman Badu Akosa, when contacted declined any comments on the matter.