The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, left Ghana on Sunday, 21st January, 2018, at 3:10pm, to attend the inauguration ceremony of the President-Elect of the Republic of Liberia, His Excellency George Weah, which is scheduled to take place on Monday, 22nd January, 2018, in Monrovia, Liberia.
He is accompanied by the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Hon. Shirley Ayorkor Botchway; the Minister for Finance, Ken Ofori-Atta; Minister for National Security, Albert Kan Dapaah; and officials from the Presidency.
Given the absence from the jurisdiction of the Vice President, Alhaji Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, the Speaker of Parliament, Rt. Hon. Aaron Mike Oquaye, in accordance with Article 60(11) of the Constitution, will act in his stead.
President Akufo-Addo will return to Ghana on Tuesday, 23rd January, 2018.
……signed…… Eugene Arhin Director of Communications
The Chief Justice, Her Ladyship, Sophia Akuffo has in accordance with Article 60 of the 1992 Constitution, sworn into office the Speaker of Parliament, Prof. Aaron Mike Oquaye as the Acting President.
The swearing-in became necessary because President Nana Akufo-Addo has left the shores of Ghana to attend the swearing-in of Liberia’s newly elected President, George Weah.
His Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia is also on a sick leave in the United Kingdom.
According to Article 60 (11) and (12) of the 1992 Constitution, “(11) Where the President and the Vice-President are both unable to perform the functions of the President, the Speaker of Parliament shall perform those functions until the President or the Vice-President is able to perform those functions or a new President assumes office, as the case may be.” “(12) The Speaker shall, before commencing to perform the functions of the President under clause (11) of this article, take and subscribe the oath set out in relation to the office of President.”
Fifteen (15) shops and eleven(11) cars have been destroyed by fire at Suame magazine near Akwasi Oppong, in the Kumasi metropolis of the Ashanti region.
Properties worth millions of Ghana cedi were destroyed following the fire outbreak which started around 10:30pm on Saturday 20th, 2018.
The items destroyed in the fire included a Benz bus, 2 sprinter buses, provision and spare parts shops.
The Assembly Member for Tafo-Nhyiaeso electoral area, Mr. Mohammed Bashiru a.k.a Gambo speaking to Rainbow Radio’S Kwabena Amoateng said the situation would have been different if fire service personnel didn't arrive at the scene on time.
The cause of the outbreak is yet to be announced by the office of the fire service in Kumasi.
By :Kwabena Amoateng
Turkish ground troops have crossed into northern Syria as part of Ankara's campaign to rid the border area of Kurdish fighters, Turkey's PM says.
Binali Yildirim said the aim was to establish a 30km (19-mile) "safe zone" deep inside Syria, Turkish reports say.
Turkey launched its operation against Kurdish YPG militia in the Afrin region with air strikes on Saturday.
It risks increasing tensions with the US, which had supported the YPG in the fight against Islamic State jihadists.
The YPG has denied Turkish troops were on Afrin soil, saying they had "repelled" the attacks and forced them to retreat.
The Turkish military says it has so far taken out 153 targets belonging to Kurdish militants, while Kurdish rockets hit the border town of Kilis overnight.
The YPG (Syrian Kurdish People's Protection Units) is part of a US-backed alliance with a number of ethnic Arab militias called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). The SDF has said it will have no choice but to defend itself if attacked.
On Saturday, Turkey announced that an air and ground campaign, dubbed "Olive Branch", had been launched at 14:00 GMT, targeting the YPG and Islamic State (IS) group jihadists.
The operation would be carried out "with respect for Syria's territorial integrity", it added.
Pro-Turkey rebels, known as the Free Syrian Army, have also begun moving into the area, according to the state-run Anadolu news agency.
The YPG said the strikes had killed at least six civilians and three fighters, with another 13 civilians wounded. One of the fighters belonged to the YPG and the other two were from its all-female affiliate, spokesman Birusk Hasaka said.
Ankara also said there were casualties, but they were all Kurdish militants.
Prime Minister Yildirim was quoted by Turkish media as saying ground forces joined the operation by crossing into YPG-controlled territory on Sunday morning.
He gave no details about the 30km security zone troops are aiming to set up.
The YPG denied the reports. "All the Turkish military's ground attacks against Afrin have been repelled so far and they have been forced to retreat," said Nouri Mahmoudi, a spokesperson for the group.
Turkey's military has been shelling the region since Thursday, a move which it said was in response to fire coming from the area.
The Identities of the seven suspects who escaped from police custody at the Kwabenya Police Station have been revealed by the Police administration.
The suspects, who were in police custody escaped after armed men stormed the station, shot the Inspector on duty dead.
A statement signed by the Greater Accra Regional Police Command’s PRO, ASP Effia Tenge said, ‘’The Accra Regional Police Command is on a manhunt for seven (7) suspects who escaped from the Kwabenya Police cells this dawn, Sunday 21st, 2018 together with some armed men who facilitated their escape.’’
‘’In the process, one police officer sustained gunshot but unfortunately passed on whilst receiving treatment at the 37 Military Hospital, the statement added.
The names, nationality and ages of the suspects on the run are as follows:
1. 1.Dickson Ofori, Ghanaian-24 years
2. Chibuzor Akwabu, Nigerian-34 YEARS
3. Edem Rockson, Ghanaian-27 years
4. Prince Osei, Ghanaian-27 years
5. Emmanuel Kotey, Ghanaian-21 years
6. Kofi Dadzie, Ghanaian-21 years
7. Attah Kwadwo, Ghanaian-20 years
‘’The police has commenced investigations into the matter and pursuing them with all the urgency it deserves. Meanwhile, any information can be communicated to the police on hotlines 191, MTN.VODAFONE Toll Free 18555, 0302773695 and 0302787373,’’ the statement concluded.
A police officer stationed at the Kwabenya Police Command has been shot dead by armed men who stormed the station to free cell inmates.
The police according to reports are shocked at the incident.
Inspector General of Police David Asante Apietu, Director of General operations, Dr. Dampare, Acting Director General, CID, DCOP Maame Yaa Tiwari Addo Danqauh and DCOP George Mensah visited the scene.
The police have not commented officially about the unfortunate incident.
A 12-hour siege of a luxury hotel by gunmen in the Afghan capital has come to an end, security forces say.
Six civilians, including a foreign woman, died at the Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul, along with three attackers, the interior ministry said.
Some 160 people were rescued after Afghan troops fought through the night to regain control of the building.
Questions are being asked as to how the heavily-armed gang was able to enter such a highly-fortified place.
No group has yet said it was behind the attack, although suspicion will fall on the Taliban who targeted the hotel in 2011.
One Afghan news agency is disputing the authorities' latest on the siege.
Unconfirmed reports from Tolo News suggest there were five attackers, at least two of whom are still "alive and fighting". It says two foreigners are among the dead and dozens of bodies have been seen inside the hotel.
Afghan special forces were lowered by helicopters on to the roof of the hotel during the night, an interior ministry spokesman said.
Forty-one foreigners were among those rescued. Seven people were wounded.
The interior ministry has promised an investigation into how the attackers breached security, which was handed to a private company two weeks ago.
Some reports suggest the gunmen entered the hotel through a back door in the kitchen.
Saturday's siege comes just days after the US embassy in Kabul issued a warning about hotels in the city.
"We are aware of reports that extremist groups may be planning an attack against hotels in Kabul," the embassy wrote in a public security alert published Thursday, though it highlighted another hotel near the international airport as a possible target.
"These groups may also be targeting public gatherings/demonstrations, government facilities, transportation, markets, and places where foreigners are known to congregate."
The Intercontinental is a state-owned hotel - not linked to the global hotel chain of the same name - which often hosts weddings, conferences and political gatherings.
Security has been tightened in Kabul since last May, when a huge truck bomb killed at least 150 people.
However, there have been several attacks in recent months. They include a bomb at a Shia cultural centre last month that killed more than 40 people.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has admonished members of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) to help make his government succeed.
He further urged them to desist from acts that will divide the party and rather unite to make him succeed in office.
President Akufo-Addo said this when he addressed party supporters at an annual meeting in the Ashanti Regional capital, Kumasi.
He said “I first came here to thank you for supporting me and the NPP to win the last elections. Secondly, those who said we cannot achieve our promises if given the mandate, let us make them see that given the chance, we will do all of them. Continue to support the party and me. Let them know you are giving us the needed support….Don’t be engaged in conflicts. Do away with acrimony to divide you. Stand firmly for the NPP.’’