Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Rainbow Radio - Items filtered by date: Monday, 05 February 2018
The Gbawe family has disputed claims that the Assembly Member for Gbawe Electoral Area, Mr. Robert Nii Armah Tagoe is an Assistant Secretary and a surveyor to the family. Their denial follows a press held by a group calling itself Concern Citizens of Weija who have staged a campaign against the appointment of the Assembly Member as MCE of the newly-created Weija-Gbawe Municipal Assembly which was curved out of Ga South Municipal Assembly. The group at press conference last week said they have gathered information that, Mr. Tagoe was seriously vying for the position. Spokesperson for Concerned Citizens of Weija, Nii Gyan Amartey, indicated that any attempt by President Nana Addo Dankwa-Akufo-Addo to appoint Mr. Tagoe as the MCE for the newly crafted municipality will be resisted with all seriousness. He mentioned that by virtue of Mr.Tagoe's position as the Assistant Secretary to the Gbawe Family Land and the official surveyor to the family, he will be biased in handling issues between the people of Gbawe and Weija communities. According to Nii Gyan Amartey, Nii Tagoe's appointment will not augur well for peace and development in the area. However, the family have refuted the claims and denied the allegations. The family spokesperson for the Gbawe family, Mr. Solomon Nii Afutu Quartey, said the allegations levelled against Mr. Tagoe, as he being the family's surveyor, and also an assistant secretary to the family, were false and should be treated with the contempt it deserves. He maintained, Mr. Tagoe, has never been a surveyor for the family and that the family has a licensed surveyor. He added, as the secretary for the family there is no such position as an assistant secretary as alleged by the group. He however advised people who have interest and want to be nominated by the president as MCE to do so and desist from fueling any unsubstantiated allegations against the Assembly Member. He expressed surprise as to why people would think an MCE has the power to influence operations of the municipality as alleged by the Concerns Citizens of Weija noting that, the MCE only implement government policies and does not have the power to embark on his personal ambitions.
Published in General News
%PM, %05 %805 %2018 %18:%Feb


The Deputy Minister for Energy in charge of Petroleum, Dr. Mohammed Amin Adam, has launched the Petroleum Register in accordance with the provisions of the Petroleum Exploration and Production Law. The Petroleum Register is an online platform (www.ghanapetroleumregister.com) of a Public Register that host Petroleum Agreements and contracts ratified by Parliament as well as Petroleum Permits, Certificates, Authorizations, Approvals and Consents. It is aimed at broadening the boundaries of transparency and information disclosure in the Upstream Petroleum activities. It will also ensure efficient and effective utilisation of Ghana’s petroleum resources and provide the Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) the single point or platform to monitor all upstream activities. Speaking on behalf of the Minister for Energy, Dr. Amin congratulated Ghana’s Upstream Regulator, Petroleum Commission for fulfilling government’s commitment of deepening transparency in the petroleum upstream sector and encouraged them to continually update the information in the Register for the benefit of Ghanaians. Present at the launch of the Petroleum Register were Lawyer Egbert Faibille Jnr, Chief Executive of Petroleum Commission, Mr. Lawrence Apaalse, Chief Director of Ministry of Energy, Dr. Steve Manteaw, member of the Public Interest and Accountability Committee (PIAC), reps from the organizations in the petroleum sector and some Directors of Petroleum Commission.
Published in General News
The Hunger Project-Ghana has initiated a programme dubbed ‘Maternal and Child Healthcare Improvement Project’ at their Epicenters across the country. The project would be implemented in 11 districts (15 epicenters) in three regions, namely Eastern, Volta and Central, with funding from Else-Kronner-Fresenius Foundation for the two years. The project which is in collaboration with the Ghana Health Service (GHS) would be running for two years. Maternal and Child HealthProject Coordinator, Stephanie Ashley, in an interview with Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, said as part of the project, we will train community health nurses so they would be able to offer family planning-especially birth plan services. Madam Ashley noted that formerly it was only midwives who were offering such services in the communities but this project has been initiated to train the community nurses to offer same services. The coordinator added, the workshop would assist participants to learn how to use the birth implants and how to remove them. “They will be trained to do effective counselling on family planning she added. She said out of the 15 epicenters where the project is being implemented, thirteen came from the Eastern Region whiles Central and Volta had one each at Mfantseman (Taido) and North Dayi (Tokome). Family planning is the practice of controlling the number of children in a family and the intervals between their births. Family planning allows people to attain their desired number of children and determine the spacing of pregnancies. Family planning enables people to make informed choices about their sexual and reproductive health.
Published in General News
%PM, %05 %709 %2018 %16:%Feb

Give me prosecutorial powers-A-G demands

The Auditor-general, Daniel Domelevo, says he has applied to the Attorney-General to grant him the powers to prosecute those indicted in the annual Auditor-General's report often riddled with repetitive stories of mismanagement. He said "If the Attorney-General gives me a fiat which I have applied for, you will see me in action.’’ At a press conference in Accra today [Monday] the Auditor-General indicated that his office has already applied to the Attorney General’s office to be given a fiat to prosecute individuals found culpable. “Do you have prosecutorial powers? No, I don’t have, as at now completely zero. Can I hav? Yes! That is if a fiat is given by the Attorney General to Audit Service just like he has given to the police and others to prosecute…If I get that fiat, you will see me in action.’’ According to him, his department has a legal division who scrutinize cases before being made public and the Attorney General’s office has so much work hence if he is given the authority to prosecute, surcharging can be expedited to retrieve wrongly paid monies. The Auditor General uncovered a ¢5.4 billion wrongfully paid to contractors and other service providers by officials at the various ministries between 2014-2017. The discovery and recommendations follow a 2016 audit of the finances of the various ministries, department and agencies. Section 16 of the Audit Service Act gives power to the Auditor General to conduct special audit of the ministries and submit a report to Parliament.
Published in General News
Seventy (70) percent of the permanent staff of defunct UT and Capital Banks has been absorbed by the GCB, a statement from the financial institution has said. It has also dispensed the services of contract workers. The statement from GBC said “As a result of the integration, staff numbers have been rationalized and GCB has absorbed almost 70 percent of the permanent staff of those banks.” The move follows the completion of the full integration of the systems of the two banks. The statement said: “Departing employees are to be paid a month’s salary in lieu of notice plus any earned leave since August last year.” The statement added, “The Bank in undertaking this exercise was mindful of its economic and social impact and therefore went to great lengths to strike the right balance in the interest of all stakeholders.” The GCB in 2017 took over the two banks. The Bank also revoked their licenses because the two banks ‘’were deeply insolvent, meaning that their liabilities exceeded their assets, putting them in a position not to be able to meet their obligations as and when they fell due. Despite repeated agreements between the Bank of Ghana and UT Bank and Capital Bank to implement an action plan to address these significant shortfalls, the owners and managers of UT Bank and Capital Bank were unable to increase the capital of the banks to address the insolvency,, an explanation from the Central Bank said. The Bank of Ghana made efforts to help UT Bank and Capital Bank recover via private alternatives; however, the banks were unable to develop an acceptable plan. After exhausting all other alternatives, the BOG has chosen to resolve them via the least costly method of a Purchase and Assumption transaction to protect depositors’ funds, the statement issued in 2017 stated further.
Published in Business
%PM, %05 %611 %2018 %13:%Feb

We need more support-Sports Authority

Deputy Technical Director of the National Sports Authority (N.S.A), Mr. Nii Saka Quaye has called on Corporate Organizations and other institutions to come to their aid. Speaking to Rainbow Sports this morning, Mr.Nii Saka stated that, their training tour is estimated at GHS 30,000 which will include accommodation charges, fuel allowances and miscellaneous. He further indicated that, even though the government has been supportive, it is still not enough thus his plea on corporate and individual entities. ‘’Even though the Director General has provided us with a vehicle, we still need money for fuel,’’ he said. On the team’s preparations to the Commonwealth Games, the Deputy Technical Director stated that they want to travel to Australia a month before the main competition begin in order to complete their third and fourth phases of preparations. ‘’Currently, we are at the second phase of preparations he added. The first phase was the non-residential preparations which started after the sports festival in August and then to their next phase which is the foreign tour and then finally their trails on field. He was however quick to add that, ‘’so far everything seems to be going on smoothly’’. Story by: Adnan Osman
Published in Sports
The Chief of Appeadu in the Central Region, Nana Kwadwo Dekye Ababio II, has taken a swipe at the Managing Director of the National Investment Bank (NIB), Mr. K. Asamaoh for allegedly using the military to intimidate him. He has also accused Mr. Asamoah of destroying an ongoing pipe laying project he [Nana Ababio III] has initiated for some apartments in his area. He told Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, the bank manager has on four occasions, destroyed the project, used the military to intimidate contractors working on the project. Nana Ababio III called on President Nana Akufo-Addo to call Mr. Asamoah to order because he is abusing his office and giving the government a bad name. ‘I cannot understand why a bank manager would be assigned military protection. He is not the President of Ghana or the Finance Minister or top official of state to be assigned military protection.’’ He also made claims that, the bank manager dumped human excreta into the project to deter the workers from continuing with the project. Nana Ababio III said he reported the incident to the MCE but nothing positive came out of the issue despite the resolution reached. According to him, the military officers protecting him have no business to stop the ongoing project or intimidate the workers. ‘’The military cannot stop any project. It is the responsibility of the Assembly to stop a project,’’ he added. The case was also reported at the police station but the dockets were sent to the headquarters and although it was established that, he erred, they have not taken any action against him.
Published in General News
A section of media reports within the week claimed that caterers in Sisipe and Matilipo primary schools near Salaga were cooking unwholesome boiled maize for pupils on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However some parents of the school children are angry with the report and have come to the defense of the caterers of the National School Feeding Program in the District. The parents, who spoke to our Northern Regional Correspondent Prince Kwame Tamakloe, indicated that, the report was purely bogus and has no iota of truth, explaining that, they [parents] visit the school recurrently and have never witnessed such a case. “We come here every week to see how our children are doing but we have never seen anything of that sort, so how can the media report these lies” A parent lamented. “I want to tell the whole world that, our children are not fed with malnourished meal, they eat very well in the school” The parents have therefore counseled Ghanaians to disregard the report and have promised a constant support for the National School Feeding Program in the District by continuously visiting the school. With regards to school children being forced out from classrooms due to the situation and also chiefs and members of the communities demanding the removal of the catering service providers, the parents debunked that as well. In a related development, the Northern Regional Secretariat of the Ghana School Feeding Program has described the report as a fallacy and mischievous. An interview with the Northern Regional Coordinator the NSFP Mrs. Felicia Tettey revealed that, a comprehensive investigation into the report have found it untrue, clarifying that, the menu provided by caterers varied under the Programme and varied from the districts. She went on to say that in this particular case, although boiled yam was an acceptable meal for pupils in the East Gonja district, the meal referred to in the report didn’t come from her caterers. “Per our investigation, the head master, the DCE, the caterer and the community have denied”, she said, explaining “the caterer, Madam Saani Suabra said she has never cooked anything like that in the school. The headmaster also said never has there been a case that the caterer has cooked only maize for the pupil, so they don’t know where the image is coming from. I don’t know why the headmaster would lie, I don’t know why the community would lie. The headmaster will not shield the caterer for anything”. “The School Feeding is taking a shape in the Northern region, because we are committed in giving the people the best that we can and my zonal coordinators are always in the field to ensure that caterers give the pupil one hot nutritious meal as established by the Ghana School Feeding and therefore need the support of everyone to make the NSFP a prosperous one to its beneficiaries the district and Ghana as a whole" Mrs. Tettey said. By: Prince Kwame Tamakloe
Published in General News
A communication team member with the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Peter Mensah, has descended heavily on the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) following pockets of violence and invocation of curses over their polling station executive elections. He was of the view that, the NPP is practicing ''political lesbianism'' hence the challenges confronting the elephant family. Peter Mensah, who was contributing on Frontline on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, said the NPP should blame itself for failing to crack the whip on its members in the past over the same issues. He was reacting to the curses invoked on some party officers by aggrieved supporters over the weekend at Awutu Senya East District. He described the act as unfortunate and a reflection of poor leadership under the ruling party. The aggrieved members in the Awutu Senya East District in the Central Region cursed party executives of their party before a river deity over the weekend. Persons they cursed include the Acting General Secretary, John Boadu, Mavis Hawa Koomson, Papa Kodwo Anim, John Kojo Adjabeng, one Chairman Kute and one Chairman Ibrahim Sadat and any other people involved in eliminating their names from the register. The group called for all manner of harm and misfortune including loss of children and diseases to befall their targets. Peter Mensah was highly disappointed and called on the leadership of the NPP to rise up and resolve the challenges. He also referred to the insecurity and attacks by some members of the various vigilante groups associated with the NPP, as one of the major failures under the current administration. On his part, the member of the NPP, Yussif Justice, lambasted the individuals who carried out the act. He described its unnecessary and unwarranted.
Published in General News
Private legal practitioner, lawyer Maurice Ampaw, has described as disgusting the investigate report by the Daily Graphic over alleged looting of court fines by some officials. The Monday’s edition of the Daily Graphic published a story with the headline, ‘’ Court officials loot accounts, they pocket court fines.’’ The paper said thousands of Ghana cedis in court fines and fees have been lost due to alleged corruption and embezzlement by some staff of the Adjabeng District Court Registry in Accra. Per the investigation conducted by the paper, the fines and fees charged by the court have been embezzled by some cashiers of the registrar’s office. The paper mentioned Mrs Patience Nai, a High Court registrar and Mr David Laryea, as individuals who allegedly diverted and pocketed money in court fines and fees which should have been paid into the Consolidated Fund. The Daily Graphic also established that a fine of GH¢2,400, in the case of The Republic v. Eric Duah, paid by the convict on May 17, 2017, was diverted and embezzled by the two cashiers. According to the paper, the cashiers have confessed that they indeed did not pay the money into the Consolidated Fund when they were confronted with evidence. ‘’Again, in the case of The Republic v Peter Mahamadu Seidu, the defendant was fined GH¢3,000, which was also not paid into the Consolidated Fund, but rather lined the private pockets of the two cashiers. Though the two cashiers initially denied any involvement in the embezzlements at the courts, they were later made to refund those money to the state,’’ the paper added. Commenting on the issue, lawyer Ampaw said the situation was an unfortunate one but I am confident in the current Chief Justice, to deal with the matter. He called for the matter to be dealt with to its logical conclusion. The outspoken lawyer said some of these court officials, are part of the reason why corruption in the judiciary has increased. The situation he noted was not limited to the Ajabeng Court and ‘’we need to do something about it. The Chief Justice should do something about it. It is not a best practice especially when she is on course to restructure and reshape the judiciary.’’ He advised the judiciary to strengthen its supervisory role to block the loopholes in the system.
Published in General News
Page 1 of 2
  1. Popular
  2. Trending


« February 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28