Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Rainbow Radio - Items filtered by date: Thursday, 12 July 2018
The Chief Accountant of the Electoral Commission (EC), Mr Kwaku Owusu Agyei-Larbi, has returned the "missing" endowment funds, which were said to have been given to him for safekeeping. He returned a total of Gh₵436,402, which he said was given to him for safekeeping and was awaiting instructions for disbursement. He explained the money was in a safe in his office when he was asked to proceed on leave in July 2017 for investigations into the use of EC staff endowment funds by the Economic and Organised Crimes Office (EOCO). On page 34 of the Chief Justice’s Committee reported that recommended the removal of the EC Chair and her two deputies, it was also submitted that Mr. Agyei–Larbi, be made to pay to the Commission the amount of GH¢360,000 he admitted had been in his custody in his office since 2016. "If he is not able to pay the said amount to the EC, we recommend that he is charged with stealing,” the CJ's committee recommended. In a petition dated July, 3 2018 to the presidency Mr. Agyei-Larbi stated his readiness to swiftly comply with the report of the Chief Justice’s Committee dependent on his immediate reinstatement after the EOCO investigations. Subsequent to the petition, EOCO wrote to the Electoral Commission on July, 9 2018 directing the Commission to recall Mr. Agyei-Larbi and he has since refunded the money in his custody after fully resuming work on Wednesday, July 11, 2018. In a letter dated Thursday July 12, 2018 to the Presidency Jerry John K. Asiedu, lawyer for Mr. Agyei-Larbi said “Subsequent to the above developments our client has retrieved from the safe in his office an amount of GH¢436,402 with the approval of the Human Resource Director of the Electoral Commission to pay same into the EC IGF account at GCB bank. Attached hereto and marked “C” is a copy of memo endorsed by the Human Resource Director. “He has paid the amount of GH¢436, 402 into the designated IGF account of the Electoral Commission at the GCB Bank on the 11th day of July, 2018. Attached hereto and marked “D” is a copy of the GCB Bank Receipt as evidence of the payment into the account by our client. “Under the circumstances, it is evident that our client has fully complied with the recommendations of the report of the Chief Justice’s Committee which was referred to your high office for implementation. Our client therefore humbly requests that this is brought to the attention of the Attorney General and all other necessary agencies tasked with the implementation of the Committee’s report.” Source: GraphicOnline
Published in General News
A truck loaded with cement has run over three persons at Anloga junction on Thursday afternoon after the truck veered off the road and crashed the victims on the shoulders of the main intersection, which connects the Accra road to Kumasi central. Two of the victims according to information gathered had the lower part of the body torn apart. The third victim was trapped under the truck. The truck driver per account lost control after he made an attempt to escape hitting a taxi cab which crossed his path. The two victims had displayed their wares by the roadside on the pavement and were sitting on the pavement.
Published in General News
A retired referee, Reverend Nsiah Boafo, has confessed to taking bribe to influence matches during his days. The man of God said there is no referee on earth who has not accepted a bribe to influence a match before. His confession is coming at a time the Number 12 expose by Anas Aremeyaw Anas has exposed some referees accepting bribes to influence their decisions on some matches they presided over. The man of God who retired voluntarily due to a call from God to do his work said, referees are not angels and in general, referees have accepted bribes. He said, as referees, you are to preside over matches and ensure that, your decisions do not create tension or problems on the field of play. ‘’There is nothing that can exist without a name. It is not the referees that accept bribes but the bribe can walk to you. There are certain situations that can put your life in danger if you do not accept the bribe.’’ When asked if he had accepted a bribe before, he said, ‘’I have taken a bribe before. Why should a reverend minister lie that I have never accepted a bribe before? I have accepted a bribe before.’’ He was however quick to add that, there are descent referees who have never accepted a bribe before but are the ones who are usually attacked by team supporters when they feel a match was manipulated. ‘’Nobody should deny that the teams do not approach the referees when they are about to play a game. They always come to the referees. I remember an incident occurred where all the teams clashed when they came to meet referees to help them win their match. Reverend Boafo also revealed that, he sometimes return the monies paid him when the team that paid the money lost the game. ‘’But for my calling as a reverend minister, I would have accepted a bribe today,’’ he stated. The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has provisionally suspended about 15 referees’ over the number 12 expose. The decision was taken after the Disciplinary Board of CAF held a meeting on 7th July 2018 on referees who were captured in the secretly recorded video taking bribes before officiating various games. Kenyan Assistant Referee Mr. Marwa Range was handed a life ban from all CAF related football activities. Others were banned for years ranging from 2 to 10, a press release issued by CAF on Saturday announced. Mr. Yanissou Bebou, Referee from Togo and Mr. Jallow Ebrima, Assistant Referee from Gambia have been suspended for 10 years from all CAF related football activities. An Ivorian referee Mr. Denis Dembele was also banned for 6 years from all CAF related football activities. Those banned for five years are: Mr. Boukari Ouedraogo, Referee, Burkina Faso; Mr. Moriba Diakite, Assistant Referee, Mali; Mr. Demba Boubou, Assistant Referee, Mauritania; and Mr. Maman Raja Abba Malan Ousseini, Assistant Referee, Niger. Two Assistant Referees Mr. Marius Tan and Mr. Bi Valere Gouho as well as Mr. Coulibay Abou, a Referee, all from Cote d’Ivoire were banned for two years. However, the statement said three Ghanaians implicated in the documentary video dubbed ‘Number 12’, Mr. Lathbridge Reginald, Referee; Mr. Bello Aboudou, Referee; and Mr. Nantierre Eric, Assistant Referee were provisionally suspended pending their appearance before the Disciplinary Board on 5th August 2018.
Published in Sports
Parliament has eulogized the late JH Mensah, a former parliamentarian and politician who died at the age of 89. Tamale Central MP, Inusah Fuseini described him as a consummate politician. “He understood, on a personal level, the problems confronting this country and sought as a person to contribute his quota towards the upliftment of the country. “We saw it in every contribution he made on the floor of the house. Most of us, even though from different political divides sought to take inspiration from him,” he added. Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu described him as someone who was a great performer in the areas of economics, law, education, trade, agriculture and every other sector. He was grateful to the encouragement from the late politician which has made him what he is today. He said, the late JH Mensah focused on building Ghana and not himself and would be remembered for his selflessness and dedication. Mr Okudjeto Ablakwa, the MP for North Tongu on his part, described the late JH Mensah, as a blessed man whose life was well lived and distinguished himself wherever he worked. He posited that, the authoring of the seven years development for Ghana was the finest by the late veteran politician. ‘’He inspired us and it is really sad we could not have the opportunity to be mentored by this man.’’ He sadly said. J.H Mensah, a Gold Coaster born in October 1928 is a founding member of the governing New Patriotic Party and served in three different ministerial positions under the John Agyekum Kufuor administration. He was a former Minority leader and a Majority leader and held his last top government position in 2005 when he was appointed Senior minister by President Kufuor. His working experience dates back to 1953 when he was appointed as an Assistant Inspector of Taxes by the colonial administration. Mr. Mensah served as a member of the African Advisory Council of the African Development Bank (ADB) between 1993 and 1997. In 1996, he contested the Sunyani East seat on the ticket of the New Patriotic Party and won in the Parliamentary elections in December 1996 to become an MP. He retained the seat in the 2000 polls. He was the Minority Leader in Parliament during the Second Parliament of the Fourth Republic.
Published in General News
The Asogli State Council has demanded an apology from newly elected chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Freddie Blay for attacking Togbe Afede XIV on his advice to Nananom on the 275 buses procured for the elephant family by the former parliamentarian and politician. Mr Blay took a swipe at the traditional ruler over his comments on the controversial bus saga. “Maybe he (Afede) got his money from selling palmwine to get there” Freddie Blay said. “It is silly. I am sorry to use that words. For people to think like that, I find it disturbing”. he said. “My only worry is that an individual like Togbe Afede has come in … mentioning it. Former President Mahama has come in from a different angle. Togbe Afede says what? He says perception of corruption and vote-buying. Maybe he doesn’t understand what he is talking about.” Mr Blay said. “In his position as president of the House of Chiefs in this country, maybe from nowhere he has also risen to become a businessman. He has become a big businessman in this country. He has never asked for loans. Maybe he got his money from selling palmwine to get there” Freddie Blay jabbed. But in a statement signed by Secretary Stephen Tetteh, the Asogli state said: ‘’Our attention has been drawn to the above publication purported to be the reply of Freddie Blay, the Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), to Agbogbomefia Togbe Afede XIV on his advice to Nananom on the 275 buses saga. “We take strong exceptions to the statements, names and comments in this reply as they are insulting and disrespectful. “A statement such as this and from the President of the National House of Chiefs and an astute businessman does not warrant the kind of response from the National Chairman of the ruling party, a former First Deputy Speaker of Parliament and a lawyer. “This statement, in our view, is aimed at addressing the issue of the perception of corruption and corruption and to repose trust in our leaders, thereafter. It also calls on the most noble and respectful indigenous institutions to be actively involved in the crusade. In addition, it applauded the current government that similar acts that have been swept under the carpet in the past, are being given the needed attention [they] deserve. “Therefore, the Asogli State Council demand an unqualified apology from the NPP and its Chairman for this their misconduct and disrespect shown to Togbe with immediate effect. Since the NPP remained silent, we can only conclude that this might be part of their boardroom decisions. Failure to heed this clarion call and the next line of action would be announced ASAP. ENOUGH is ENOUGH”.
Published in General News
Ghanaian actor, Kuntu Blankson has committed suicide. The veteran actor is said to have committed suicide Thursday morning at his Brafoyaw residence near Cape Coast in the Central Region. The actor was found hanging on a rope at his kitchen. The family has expressed shock at the incident, and explained that Mr Blankson neither complained of any problem or showed signs that he was worried. An investigation into the incident has commenced and the body has also been conveyed to the morgue. The 63-year-old actor left behind a wife and three children.
Published in Entertainment
Some angry youth in Sawla in the Sawla-tuna-Kalba district of the Northern region have attacked the police station in the area following the arrest of a local executive of the ruling New Patriotic Party who was kept in custody following a confrontation with an officer over a woman. The arrested local executive is said to have launched an attack on the police officer for allegedly having an affair with his wife. According to the youth, the NPP constituency youth organizer, Adamu Sakara, caught the police officer whose name was only given as Ocloo Labister sleeping with his married wife Wednesday afternoon. They alleged that the wife who also works as Community Police at Sawla police station has been dating Ocloo for a very long time. The irate youth in the district were of the view that, it was in its place that, Adamu Sakara assaulted the policeman, and the police officer had no right to arrest him. Reporting on Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5 today (Thursday), Northern Regional Correspondent, Prince Kwame Tamakloe said, at the Sawla Police Command, the irate youth invaded the premises with cutlasses and other harmful objects and broke all louvre blades and doors. Without bail by the police, these youth set the NPP Youth Organizer free, he added. The youth have also threatened that it would be bloody if the police arrest the Organizer again. The Police in Sawla have since reported the case to the Northern Regional Police Command and have called for reinforcement. By: Priscilla Obeng Asantewaa (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
Published in Regional
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has said the late JH Mensah would be duly honoured for his service to the country. The president says he was saddened by the death of the late veteran politician who died at 89. President Akufo-Addo told a gathering of family, members of government and the NPP the former minister deserves a good farewell. Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia described the late JH Mensah as his mentor and one of Ghana’s finest politicians. Dr Bawumia in the tweet said: ‘’for me, J.H Mensah was a mentor. In my humble opinion, he is probably the best economist Ghana has produced. Analytically amazing in the way he disserted issues and practical in his policy prescriptions. He was the author of President Kwame Nkrumah’s seven year development plan.’’ J.H Mensah, a Gold Coaster born in October 1928 is a founding member of the governing New Patriotic Party and served in three different ministerial positions under the John Agyekum Kufuor administration. He was a former Minority leader and a Majority leader and held his last top government position in 2005 when he was appointed Senior minister by President Kufuor. His working experience dates back to 1953 when he was appointed as an Assistant Inspector of Taxes by the colonial administration. Mr. Mensah served as a member of the African Advisory Council of the African Development Bank (ADB) between 1993 and 1997. In 1996, he contested the Sunyani East seat on the ticket of the New Patriotic Party and won in the Parliamentary elections in December 1996 to become an MP. He retained the seat in the 2000 polls. He was the Minority Leader in Parliament during the Second Parliament of the Fourth Republic.
Published in General News
Political Science Lecturer at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Mohammed Abass has expressed his thoughts on whether electorates should be educated on policies before voting for political leaders. Some political leaders in their quest for power appeal to these electorates and forget about their plight after being voted into power, he added. Speaking to Rainbow Radio’s Kwadwo Asiedu Ansah today [Thursday], the Political Science lecturer said, it is long overdue we began to educate electorates on campaign policies prior to elections. He also said that these must be educated on developmental projects that affect their lives. Prior to elections, these electorates must be allowed to forward issues bothering them to these politicians before casting their votes. This he said will help electorates cast votes not based on party preferences but vote for leaders whose policies are in conformity with the challenges faced by these voters in their respective electoral areas. Electorates would be enlightened to make right choices at polls. When the needed education is given to these citizens, it would go a long way to put political leaders on their toes, he stressed. By: Priscilla Obeng Asantewaa (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
Published in General News
%PM, %12 %719 %2018 %16:%Jul

Nana B resigns from NSS

Newly elected National Organizer for the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), Henry Nana Boakye popularly called Nana B has resigned from his position at the National Service Secretariat. Nana B said in an interview as captured by dailyguideonline.com that, his election as the national youth organizer of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) has basically influenced his decision. He was of the view that the NPP national youth organizer position and the NSS deputy national director position demand a lot of time. In this regard, he stated that combining the two important positions simultaneously may affect his delivery, for which reason he has decided to quit one. He said: “I am now consulting some big people in our party and other dignitaries and surely I will resign as the deputy national director of the NSS soon. The NPP national youth organizer position and the NSS deputy director in charge of operations are both important and time-consuming positions. I have therefore decided to step down as the NSS deputy national director so that I can concentrate fully on the NPP work to help my party”.
Published in General News
Page 1 of 3
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« July 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31