Veteran highlife musician and television personality, Akosua Agyapong has called for proper structures at the Ghana Music Rights Organization (GHAMRO), to make music attractive for the youth.
She bemoaned the challenges musicians have to go through despite the number of years they have invested in their career and professional work.
Speaking on Away Bus on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, the musician said her children have expressed interest in taking her footsteps but till we straighten things up at GHAMRO, we cannot influence the youth to pursue music, she posited.
Akosua Agyapong was worried at the rate at which musicians have to beg before they are able to cater for themselves adding, ‘’musicians are dying poor Some are dying poor. That should not be the case but this is what we are currently seeing in the industry. We only focus on mounting platforms to go and sing at funerals at departed souls but the system that can help make musicians benefit from their work is not in place.''
She took a swipe at the current leaders at GHAMRO nothing that, transparency and accountability has eluded the organization.
She believes musicians are not benefiting from GHAMRO despite the revenues being generated.
‘’GHAMRO should sit up. I will not keep quite over what is going on. I do not speak anyhow but I do so with facts and proof.’’
According to her, celebrated gospel musician, Hannah Marfo who recently appealed for support to pay for the medical bills of her daughter, was only given GHc300 by GHAMRO.
Chairman of GHAMRO, Rex Omar recently threatened to sue the musician.
The decision was based on accusations made by Akosua that the leadership of the organization, GHAMRO, has been embezzling funds and also enriching themselves as a result of poor monitoring and accountability.
According to the 'Abiba' hitmaker, who is part of the leadership, Akosua Agyapong's accusations are far from right and should not be given listening ears.
He further stated that Akosua is only telling lies from one radio to the other and also causing defamation to GHAMRO executives.
However, Akosua Agyapong said she was shocked the suit never came because it only confirmed her long held perception that, accountability and transparency has not been seen under the current leadership of GHAMRO.
GHAMRO is the authorised music collecting management organization (CMO) by the Copyright Act 2005, Act 690 and the Coptright Regulations 2010, L.I. 1962, and approved by the Ministry of Justice and Attorney-Generals' Department to license, collect and distribute royalties accruing to music authors and owners of copyright and related rights. .
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has been petitioned by two Ghanaian citizens, Malik Basintale, a student of the University of Ghana, and Eric Adjei, a student of KAAF University, to investigate and sack Mrs Pauline Adobea Dadzawa, one of the Commissioners of the Electoral Commission for “incompetence” and “misbehaviour”.
The two based their call on the president following a leaked tape which alleged captured the voice of the commissioner alleging that, a former deputy information minister, Felix Kwakye Ofosu pocketed an amount of $6 million out of $12 which was meant for the electoral commissioners.
The petition, dated Monday, 9 July 2018 explained that the leaked tape contains purported comments to the effect that some past presidents including former President John Agyekum Kufour paid monies to staff of the commission to show gratitude after elections.
“….The content of that tape as secretly recorded, indeed, clearly demonstrated true acts of misbehaviour, misconduct, public sector breaches among others that had been going on at the Electoral Commission since 2004 after the appointment of Mrs Pauline Dadzawa by former President John Agyekum Kufour,” portions of the petition read.
The petitioners want the president to an “intense investigation into the authenticity of the leaked tape, compel Mrs Pauline Dadzawa to step aside as member of the Electoral Commission, subject Mrs Pauline Dadzawa to public scrutiny and further strip her of her duties and post if found guilty, as such acts will only undermine the credibility and integrity of the Electoral Commission and such bad precedence may even affect those who may come after if not properly dealt with”.
Meanwhile, Felix Kwakye Ofosu has slapped the commissioner with a defamation suit challenging the allegation.
A Ghanaian citizen, Ohenenana Kofi Owusu Nyarko has described as death trap the road from Tepa to Bomaa in the Brong Ahafo-region.
The poet in an interview with Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, called on the president to intervene before the situation gets out of hand.
Speaking on the ‘Voice of the Citizen’ segment on Frontline Monday morning, the Ghanaian citizen indicated that, the death trap is claiming lives and it would be prudent for authorities to intervene.
The poor nature of the road makes it unmotorable and passengers are forced to step out of their vehicles and push them to a point before they are able to continue their journey, he lamented.
He also called on the Member of Parliament for the area, Madam Freda Prempeh to take up the matter.
He said, ‘’good morning Mr President this is the death trap from Tepa to Bomaa because this is not a road but rather a death trap my hometown has become an island of no return I ask questions hanging on a thread of hope . Please Mr President how many lives must we lose before you get our attention?
Hon Freda Prempeh you're aware of this and you've been silent about it, my friends in the media like Zadok Kwame Gyesi and Tutu Faculty and other media houses I'm counting on your help please.’’
Meanwhile, some residents in the area have taken to the use of sand bagged in sacks to fill the pot holes in order to make the road motorable.
Ohenenana Kofi Owusu Nyarko said the road is major one and could help the government generate enough revenue should it be repaired.
General Secretary for the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Asiedu Nketia, has expressed disappointment in the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), for failing to acknowledge the reason why the party failed to honour the invitation given it to attend the 26th National Delegates Conference held in Koforidua over the weekend.
He told Accra based Asempa Fm that, the inability of the NDC to attend the conference was due to the demise of the late former vice president Paa Kwesi Amissah-Arthur.
Johnson Asiedu Nketia said, the NDC communicated to the NPP that, they would be able to honour the invitation and so ‘’when I heard Nana Addo pay tribute to the late Amissah-Arthur but failed to tell the gathering why we were not able to honour the invitation, I was surprised. Even if you [Nana Addo] could pay tribute to him, what do you expect the bereaved to do, ‘’ he quizzed.
Meanwhile, he has asked the NPP to rejoice over the inability of the NDC to attend the event because ‘’if I had attended the event, I would have lambasted the NPP for failing to deliver on their campaign promises.’’
Boris Johnson has resigned as Foreign Secretary amid a growing political crisis over the UK's Brexit strategy.
He is second senior cabinet minister to quit within hours following Brexit Secretary David Davis's exit.
His departure came 30 minutes before Theresa May is due to address Parliament about her new Brexit plan, which has angered many Tory MPs.
In a statement, No 10 thanked Mr Johnson for his work and said a replacement would be announced shortly.
The BBC's political editor Laura Kuenssberg said Mr Johnson's exit had turned an "embarrassing and difficult situation for the PM into potentially a full-blown crisis".
She said he was not any ordinary cabinet minister but was the "face" of the Leave campaign during the 2016 referendum and his departure would fuel speculation about a leadership challenge.
Labour said his exit - on top of Mr Davis's departure - left Theresa May with "zero authority".
Former Tory chairman Grant Shapps, who last year called on Mrs May to consider her position, said it was the wrong time for a leadership contest and he hoped it would not happen.
He told the BBC a contest would take three months and "we physically do not have the time for that" given the UK is due to leave the EU next March and both sides want a Brexit deal by October.
Mr Johnson, who has been foreign secretary since June 2016, had been due to attend a summit on the future of the Western Balkans in London but did not show up - fuelling rumours about his imminent departure.
Labour's deputy leader Tom Watson said the government was "in meltdown".
"This is complete and utter chaos," he said. "The country is at a standstill with a divided and shambolic government. The prime minister can't deliver Brexit and has zero authority left."
But Mr Johnson's move was welcomed by former UKIP leader Nigel Farage, who said the ex-mayor of London had the chance to "save Brexit".
Bravo @BorisJohnson. Now can we please get rid of the appalling @theresa_mayand get Brexit back on track.
— Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) July 9, 2018
Three MPs have been named as replacement for the three MPs who recused themselves from the Privileges Committee hearing the alleged contemptuous statements made against the House and Majority Leader Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu by Assin Central Mp, Kennedy Agyapong.
The three are Adentan MP Yaw Buaben Asamoa, Jaman South MP Yaw Afful and Ablekuma North MP Akua Owusu Afriyie.
They will replace Agona West MP Cynthia Morrison; MP for Gomoa Central, Naana Eyiah; and MP for Upper Denkyira West, Samuel Nsowa-Djan, all in the Central Region, who argued that they could not adjudicate fairly because Mr Agyapong is their Regional Caucus Chairman.
The replacement was announced by Majority Leader and Parliamentary Affairs Minister, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu.
Commenting on the decision by the legislators to recuse themselves, he slammed the MPs for taking the decision without prior notice to leaders on the side of the Majority.
According to him, the MPs ought to have discussed with leadership before taking the action but that was not done.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has reinstated Deputy Sports Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide, and the Board Chairman of the National Sports Authority (NSA), Kwadwo Baah Agyeman following the completion of investigations into the Australia Visa Scandal.
A statement signed by Eugene Arhin, Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin said, the investigations conducted by the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) has exonerated the two from any wrong doing.
‘’The report of the enquiry into the allegations, which was submitted to the President on Friday, 6th July, 2018, contained no adverse findings against them.’’
President Akufo-Addo few months ago suspended the two public officers over the visa scandal.
Residents at La, a community in the La Dade Kotopon Municipality of Greater Accra region have underscored the need for house owners (landlords and landladies) to construct toilet facilities in their homes.
The residents, majority of who queue to attend to natures call bemoaned the lack of adequate toilet facilities in and around the community.
They further lamented over the way and manner they had to queue at public toilets, a situation according to them is uncomfortable since it makes them late for school, work among other activities.
Others also were worried because at mid-night, when they suffer stomach upset they are left no option than to ease themselves in polythene bags and dump them in gutters because the public toilets in the community are closed.
Others who spoke to Pelagie Gnehi, an intern with Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm said, they prefer to ease themselves at the beach due to the situation.
‘’So we are pleading with our landlords and landladies to have toilet facilities in their homes to make tenants feel comfortable,’’ a resident said.
According to some of the landlords and landladies, there are public toilets in the community and so, they don’t see the big deal to have toilet facility in their homes and if tenants and the house owners do not visit the public toilet, how would the government get money to facilitate the governmental projects in the community aside the revenue and tolls the government acquire.
The pungent smell that emanate from these choked gutters with human excreta in polythene bags is an eyesore so the landlords should provide toilet facilities in their various homes before giving their rooms out for rent, another resident indicated.
The One Household-One Toilet Project, which aims to eradicate open defecation in the city, was launched at Town Council Line in Accra some few months ago.
The project is a collaboration between the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) and the World Bank.
The cost of the facility is GHȻ4,000 and the AMA through the World Bank pays half the price (GHȻ2,000). Beneficiaries, who were initially requested to pay the remaining balance of GHȻ2000 per toilet, would now pay only GHȻ1100 to have the facility.
Speaking at the launch, the Metropolitan Chief Executive, Mohammed Adjei Sowah, said every household was required by law to have a toilet.
Mr Sowah reminded the public that it was not the responsibility of the Assembly Member, neither was it that of the Member of Parliament nor the AMA to build toilet facilities for them. “If you build a house, you should have a toilet facility in the house,” he added.
“Landlords build residential houses for rentals without toilet facilities and the worst part is that those who have toilet facilities have converted them into residential apartments,” Mr Sowah lamented, adding that it was for these reasons that AMA had introduced this toilet facility to ensure that every household got a toilet.
By: Pelagie Gnehi (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
The Deputy Majority Chief Whip of Ghana’s Parliament, Mr Moses Anim has reacted to comments by the Minority and other individuals that the party showed opulence during their internal party polls.
The MP for Trobu said by his own principle, he does not subscribe to the waste of resources in the printing of posters and billboards during internal party politics.
According to him, because the race is an internal party politics and involves delegates who are known, the use of posters should be reduced to the barest minimum.
‘’I do not subscribe to use of posters and billboards for internal party politics. Although it is an internal party election and a national delegates’ conference, the delegates are known. It was not a national election involving every registered Ghanaian. We knew the delegates’ and so I want to advice that we look into that in the future. But there was not show of opulence; I did not witness the sharing of money. I will stress the need for us to introduce regulations that will help us reduce the use of the posters and billboards for internal party polls. We know the delegates’ and we go to them to campaign and so if they will vote for you, they will vote for you.’’
Commenting on the concerns raised by representative of the UK Conservative Party, Dr. John Overt, he said, the man raised the issue because he [Overt] was shocked at what he saw.
The foreigner had questioned why the rationale the flamboyant organisation of the New Patriotic Party’s national delegates conference held at Koforidua in the Eastern Region on Saturday. He described as waste of resources the investment made into posters and banners by the contestants contesting the national elections of the NPP
Mr Anim said, the Conservative party and all other foreign parties do not do these things. The countries we are learning from don’t do these elections, he added.
The legislator went ahead to call on all political parties to find mechanisms to help reduce these activities.
‘’The Majority Leader, Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu had called on political parties in the country to find other methods in doing these things. People will go round and invest heavily but will lose the elections. It is not because he was not liked by the people, but it was an election. But if there is an alternative used by America, Britain and all the developed countries practicing democracy and it is working, why don’t we use these methods and stop the acrimony and reduce this hideous approach…When we are able to do that, it will help to make our political parties nationalistic as stipulated by our constitution.’’
The kind of political system we run in Ghana he lamented breeds hatred, disunity, acrimony and also leads to waste of resources and time.
The delegates’ conference he said was successful and has also united the party more and will sure bring them victory for 2020 and beyond.
The petitioners (staff of Electoral Commission) whose petition led to the dismissal of Mrs Charlotte Osei have petitioned the Special Prosecutor to prosecute her for procurement infractions.
They have also expressed their happiness at the dismissal of the EC commissioner.
“We are also prepared to submit to the Special Prosecutor complaint and evidence of her dealings with other companies and individuals which we deem to amount to abuse of office, breach of trust and conflict of interest,” the group said.
A member of the petitioners and an Electoral Assistant, Mr Rabiu Sulemana, said the group will use any means necessary to ensure that “her removal is permanent and cast in stone”, told the media at a press conference today [Monday].
President Akufo-Addo in June 2018 removed the EC boss and two deputies, Amadu Sulley and Georgina Opoku Amankwaa from office.
This came after a committee set up by the Chief Justice, Justice Sophia Akuffo, pursuant to Article 146(4) of the Constitution, to investigate separate complaints brought against the three persons by Ghanaian citizens, recommended their removal from office.
The Committee recommended their removal on the basis of stated misbehavior and incompetence, pursuant to Article 146 (1) of the Constitution.
Some staff of the EC petitioned President Nana Akufo-Addo in July 2017, to remove Mrs. Osei from office over allegations of fraud and financial malfeasance as well as abuse of office.
Some of the allegations involved the unilateral award of contracts by the EC boss in the run-up to the 2016 general election.
The petition against her alleged among others the funneling of GHc3.9 million to partition an office, the receipt of a Toyota Land Cruiser from the Mahama government, and the use of about $14 million when the Public Procurement Authority had authorized her to use only $7.5 million.
Mrs. Osei also responded by making allegations of corruption against her deputies.
She claimed she was only being hounded because she sought to introduce systems to curb mismanagement.
Charlotte Osei accused a deputy Chairperson of the Commission of illegally signing contracts worth over GHc 40 million without her approval.