Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Apr 29, 2017
The Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) has ordered the manufacturers of Adonko bitters to recall the product from the market.The FDA has also slapped the company  with a GHs25,000 fine among other for contravening its code on sale and advertisement of alcoholic beverages. The FDA took the decision after investigations were conducted after  scores of young people  passed out at the Baba Yara Sports stadium after excessive intake of Adonko bitters at an Easter event last week.According to the FDA, the company sold its alcoholic product, Adonko Bitters to minors interested in attending the concert, after limited entry to the programme to persons who purchased the product.“FDA’s investigation confirmed that the criterion for gaining access to the concert was solely on condition that each individual purchased a 750ml bottle of the alcoholic beverage at a cost of GH¢10, a situation which resulted in the Alcoholic beverage being sold to minors as well. It also resulted in excessive consumption, clearly putting the consumers at risk of flouting the caution of drinking responsibly,” the FDA said in a statement.It said the action by the company “contravened Section 3.2.19 of the FDA Guidelines for the Advertisement of Food products which states that “No alcoholic beverage shall be advertised in relation to a public function where persons under the legal drinking age are likely to attend.”“The Company also contravened Section 3.2.12 of the FDA Guidelines for the Advertisement of Food products which prohibits the use of well-known personalities in the marketing of alcoholic beverages by engaging Shatta Wale and Bisa Kdei in the promotion programme. These acts exposed patrons to the said programme to unwarranted serious health risks bordering on public health,”It added: “The company has also been directed to recall the Product, Adonko Bitters, from trade and to furnish the FDA with details of the recall plan and subsequently, the progress of the recall plan. The company is to pay an administrative charge of GH¢25,000 for failing to comply with the above regulatory requirements. ”
Apr 29, 2017
The law has caught up with a 27 year old man who attacked a rider with pepper spray and took away a motor bike from its rider.The incarcerated, Bismark Agyei some few months ago hired the rider from Asamankese to Ntetretrete to retrieve some items. However, he sprayed pepper into the eyes of the rider and sped off with his motorbike.He was later arrested at Tesano in Accra and arraigned before at the Asamankese Circuit Court.He pleaded guilty to the offense and the presiding judge, Justice Ayittey Armah slapped him with an eleven-year jail term.
Apr 29, 2017
The EU said Thursday it is reviewing a Libyan request for naval equipment to help control migrant flows as doubts grow about the effectiveness of the plan.The European Union launched its own Operation Sophia in 2015 to crack down on people smugglers based in Libya who ship desperate migrants across the Mediterranean to Europe, often with great loss of life.But Sophia vessels cannot operate in Libyan territorial waters, so the EU is trying to build up the U.N.-backed government's coastguard with training and now, possibly supplying equipment."We are now assessing together with the Libyan authorities the needs and this is a process that will take place in the next months," EU foreign affairs head Federica Mogherini said as she went into an EU defense ministers meeting in Valletta.Dutch Defense Minister Jeanine Plasschaert, reflecting reservations shared by several other EU member states, said a "review is ongoing to see whether we are in control (of the situation) and whether we should step up our efforts."Mogherini stressed that what was important was not that the EU gain access to Libyan territorial waters but that the people smugglers be stopped from operating there."What we are currently doing is trying to empower the Libyans to do this work," she said.According to EU diplomatic sources and documents seen by AFP, the Libyan request comprises 130 vessels, including five large, ocean-going patrol boats, along with associated equipment.A document drawn up by the EU Border Assistance Mission in Libya said such a force would require extensive training and back-up facilities which appeared not have been fully taken into…   Source: Myinforms.com
Apr 29, 2017
The National Safety Campaign (NASACA) has released a statement advocating and calling for the consideration of what they term ''Doctor Visit'' to ensure a healthy human resource in the country.The statement decried the lack of interest on the part of some Ghanaians to seek medical care periodically.In the statement, NASACA has admonished state institutions to consider this call because ''Ghana aims at improving its working environment but several employers are not considering the health of the workers while employees themselves hardly bother about their own good health.''The statement said, ''With this system, the various institutions shall engage the services of medical officers to administer medical check-ups on all members of staff including the employer periodically.The statement has been issued in commemoration of the World Day for Safety and Good Health at the workplace on 28th April, 2017.Read the Full statement below:PRESS STATEMENT BY THE NATIONAL SAFETY CAMPAIGN ASKING GHANA TO CONSIDER ‘’DOCTOR VISIT’’ IMPLEMENTATION TO ENSURE HEALTHY HUMAN RESOURCE IN THE COUNTRYThe National Safety Campaign (NASACA) has learnt with keen interest, the need to ensure good health of the nation’s human resource.This is because; the wealth of a nation is powered by the health of its people.It takes healthy people to drive a wealthy economy.Ghana, it is evidence that a greater percentage of the population hardly seek medical examination periodically to know their health status.The worse of it all is how people drag their feet to seek medical attention even when they notice symptoms of sickness.Ghana aims at improving its working environment but several employers are not considering the health of the workers while employees themselves hardly bother about their own good health.NASACA is challenging the employee to include the call for better health measures to the habitual cry for better pay to enable them work well to actualize the reason for whatever they demand of the employers.With good health, both the employer and the employee stand the chances of countless benefits.But surprisingly, most people do not know their health status. Medically, it is advisable for each person to be abreast with their medical status but undeniably, few people are battling with health complications that were as a result of the work they do or working environment, mostly when they attend to emergency situations.Accidentally, some meet their untimely death during their line of duty. Safety and good health still ring on a high tone.Per these observations and among other pressing health conditions of the citizenry, NASACA is calling on the state to consider implementing what is termed in most industrialized nations as “DOCTOR VISIT” for consistent medical check-ups for workers in Ghana.With this system, the various institutions shall engage the services of medical officers to administer medical check-ups on all members of staff including the employer periodically.This, if considered, shall help the nation know the health status of its people at all times and plan accordingly.The benefit of DOCTOR VISIT if implemented shall include increased productivity, active and happy working team across board, reduced load on staff members and medical officers among others.As the world celebrates World Day for Safety and Good Health at the workplace on 28th April, coupled with the May Day, we are so calling on the Ministry of Employment and Labour Relations, Ministry of Health, Association of Ghana Industries (AGI) and Trade Union Congress (TUC) and all other labour unions to take it upon themselves to ensure this in the nearest possible time.‘’Don’t wait till it occurs’’.Daniel Asuku                                    Christopher O. BineySafety Advocate                              Coordinator, NASACA0244 123 789                                 0248 389 389 
Apr 29, 2017
Ghanaian gospel musician, SP Kofi Sarpong has officially launched his upcoming maiden gospel concert.   The concert dubbed ‘SP Kofi Sarpong Live In Concert,’ is put together by his record label and management outfit, Media Excel Productions.   SP Sarpong will  be performing alongside gospel giants like Ohemaa Mercy, Abena Ruthy, Francis Amo and Nacee. Others include Joyce Blessing, Gifty Osei, Koda and a surprise gospel artiste from the United Kingdom.   The concert, according to the management, is aimed at strengthening the artiste’s brand.   At the launch, the musician revealed that, he will be registering some under-privilege onto the National Health Insurance Scheme.   According to him, he was concerned about the health needs of the less-privilege people in the  especially single mothers, orphans,   He indicated that his philanthropic gesture will in a way  ameliorate the suffering of the less-privilege in society. He added, I will also assist young artisans who cannot afford to buy tools for their trade. In his view, if such people are not assisted, they may become a threat to our security. SP Kofi Sarpong released his first album ‘Sacrifice’ in 2012 and this brought him into the limelight. He also has songs like ‘African Borborbor,’ ‘Adom Bi,’ ‘Abotre,’ ‘Agyenkwa’ and ‘Aseda.’He has won several awards in the Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, Ghana Music Awards UK and other internationally recognised award schemes.
Apr 29, 2017
Yaw Brogya Gyamfi, the National Democratic Congress' (NDCs) Youth Organizer in the Ashanti Region has petitioned the Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ), to investigate  to investigate the $ 2.25 billion bond issued by government. The politician in his petition said the Finance Minister, Ofori Atta  “has attempted to promote a private or personal interest for himself or for some family members and business associates, and the promotion of the private interest has resulted in, or was intended to result in, or appears to have resulted in, or has the potential to result in an interference with the objective exercise of his duties and an improper benefit or an advantage by virtue of his position”He has also demanded that the following questions  be answered:    Was a substantial portion of the bond purchased by Franklin Templeton Investments, if so, how much? • Is Trevor G. Trefgarne a Director of Franklin Templeton Investments?    Is Trevor G. Trefgarne the Chairman/Director of Enterprise Group Ltd?    Are Dr. Mrs. Angela Ofori-Atta, Mr. Keli Gadzekpo, Hon. Gloria Akuffo and Hon. Ken Ofori-Atta Directors of the Board of Enterprise Group Ltd.?    If not, were they Directors of the Board in the immediate past?    Does Databank Ltd. own part of Enterprise Group Ltd. or any of its affiliates?    Does Hon. Ken Ofori-Atta have any shares or business interest in Databank Ltd. or did he have any shares or business interest in the immediate past? •    Is Keli Gadzekpo a business partner of the Minister for Finance or was Keli Gadzekpo a business partner of the Minister for Finance immediately before the Minister was sworn in as Minister for Finance?    Did Hon. Gloria Akuffo resign from the board of Enterprise Group Ltd. and, if so, was this before the commencement of the process of the bond issuance?    Did Hon. Gloria Akuffo, as Attorney-General & Minister for Justice, have no knowledge of the bond arrangement and, if so, why not?    Were the initial pricing guidelines of the Bond issued around 5:37pm on March 30, 2017, after normal working hours?    Was the transaction opened around 9.00am on March 31, 2017, and closed around 4.20pm of the same day?    Was the transaction opened before the announcement was made to the public? • Was the placement method used competitive and transparent or was it “cooked” for one single investor? • Did the Minister for Finance make full disclosure of his relational interest in the bond issuance either before or during the process?    Did the Attorney-General make full disclosure of her relational interest in the bond issuance either before or during the process?    Did the Minister for Finance adhere to the 1992 Constitution, the Code of Conduct for Public Officers of Ghana, CHRAJ’s guidelines on conflict of interest for Public Officers, and other relevant rules and laws pertaining to conflict of interest and issues of corruption?    Should the Minister for Finance resign or be removed from office?    Did the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice adhere to the 1992 Constitution, the Code of Conduct for Public Officers of Ghana, CHRAJ’s guidelines on conflict of interest for Public Officers, and other relevant rules and laws pertaining to conflict of interest and issues of corruption?    Should the Attorney-General resign or be removed from office?
Apr 29, 2017
The Bank of Ghana (BoG) has responded the Public Accounts Committee's (PAC) queries on the $41 million bauxite export said to have not been captured in its audited report for 2015.The committee under the chairmanship of James Klutse Avedzi directed the Central Bank to furnish it with details on the matter after appearing before it on Tuesday.The committee raised issues with the BoG over its failure to capture a transaction involving the export of more than 40,000 tonnes of bauxite by the Ghana Export Company Limited in its audited accounts for 2015.Appearing today [Thursday], the BoG said the proceeds from the export of bauxite in 2015 of US$41.05million was captured in the Statement of Foreign Exchange Receipts and Payments of the bank as part of non-traditional exports in the Schedule of Earnings of Dealer Commercial Banks in Table 17 of the first half report and Table 18 of the second half report. The BoG in its response said: “As stated in paragraph three of both reports, repatriation through the commercial banks do not constitute receipts in foreign currency that increase the reserve of the country as managed by Bank of Ghana.  That explains why the proceeds from bauxite exports were not captured as part of Bank of Ghana’s foreign exchange receipts and payments reports.”“From the foregoing it is evident that the issue relating to the US$41.05m proceeds of bauxite has indeed been accounted for in the 2015 Statements of Foreign Exchange Receipts and Payments report,'' it added.“The Bank of Ghana can also confirm that total bauxite export volume and value for 2015 was captured in the Balance of Payments statistics, just as in all other years before and after,” it concluded.
Apr 29, 2017
The US Ambassador to Ghana, Robert Jackson has said, some 7,000 Ghanaians will be deported for abusing the terms of their Visas.The Ghanaians are currently at different stages of the deportation process, he added.“In fact about 7000 of them are currently at different stages of the deportation process. And we are not apologetic about that,” he told the Ghanaian media in the Brong Ahafo region Thursday.
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« April 2017 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30