Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Jun 29, 2017
The National Ambulance Service (NAS) has outdoored a project dubbed, ‘Operation Save a Soul’, and its ambassador, Captain Smart, a broadcast journalist.  The terms of reference for the NAS Ambassador include leading a team from the National Ambulance Service to solicit for the necessary support to resource the service in order to enhance its emergency response capabilities, Deputy Minister of Health, Tina Gifty Mensah said at the ceremony. The mobilization of the resources she said would be channeled towards procuring new ambulances to argument the current fleet of NAS vehicles which in turn would facilitate the opening of more stations. The project she added aims at soliciting support to rehabilitate and or construct more facilities at the Paramedic and Emergency care Training School. According to her, five thematic areas have been identified as being key to improving the service. These areas are: Procurement of new ambulances to argument the current fleet and to open more ambulance stations in the country; Upgrade and construction of new facilities at the Paramedic and Emergency Care Training Schools to scale up scope of training; Procurement of equipment and upgrade of the NAS Emergency Dispatch  Centre to improve the emergency toll free line 193; Procurement of medical equipment and training materials to enhance training and Support for Capacity building to improve quality care. She added, ‘’in representing the service, the Ambassador would as and when necessary be in the Emergency Medical Technician Uniform. He would also be assigned an Emergency Medical Technician who would work closely with him.’’ A detailed proposal she indicated has been made available and would be presented to interested bodies as the Ambassador goes round the country. On his part, Captain Smart  said he was deeply honoured to have been selected for this task and promised to do his best. Mr. Smart bemoaned the challenges of NAS despite its achievements over the past few years stressing that we don’t have adequate ambulances and the necessary logistics. ‘’As an Ambassador for the service, I will play a key role in helping NAS to mobilize resources. I will help tell the NAS story in and outside the borders of Ghana…We shall mobilize resources both in cash and kind to procure more ambulances. We shall look for support for the Paramedic Training School. We shall equally be looking for support to upgrade the NAS Dispatch Centre. Support to acquire equipment and for capacity building would be also tackled,’’ he said. He concluded by appealing for support from groups, institutions and other individuals towards the project.
Jun 29, 2017
Ambassador of the United States to Ghana, Robert P. Jackson has debunked claims of maltreatment against the deported 63 Ghanaians who touched down at the Kotoka International Airport last week. The 63 illegal migrants arrived in Ghana last week in handcuffs. They arrived at the Kotoka International Airport (KIA) in Accra on Wednesday, 14 June in handcuffs.   The National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), the Ghana Immigration Service (GIS) and the Ghana Police Service screened the deportees upon arrival.   The deportees, most of whom had no records on them, are the second batch of immigrants to be brought back since Donald Trump became president of the US. Some International Relations Experts slammed the action and called on government to engage the US government on the matter. Appearing before Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs, the US Ambassador those Ghanaians were deported involuntarily due to their attempts to resist deportation, although they were staying in the US illegally. According to him, the US government had identified about 7,000 Ghanaian citizens who were staying in the US illegally, and that plans were underway to have they brought back to Ghana. “The 63, who returned recently, arrived in a chartered flight, refused to board a civilian aircraft and return voluntarily. I do not consider the conditions under which they were returned inhumane. They were fed, they had some freedom of movement on the flight. It is not as if they were chained to their seats,” he said.   The Ambassador added that “It is true that 7,000 Ghanaians who have overstayed their visas or are staying in the US illegally are in various stages of the deportation processes. There will be additional deportations because the 7,000 people who are under deportation orders have either committed crimes in the United States or long overstayed the visas on which they entered.”  
Jun 29, 2017
Award winning young Ghanaian actor, Abraham Attah, has been out doored as the ambassador for government’s flagship Free Senior High School programme. The ‘Beast of No Nation’ actor was out doored at a ceremony by the Ministry of Education, Thursday, June 22, 2017.   Abraham Atta, 15, now resides in the USA for his career and high school education.       He made his feature film debut in Beasts of No Nation (2015), playing a leading role of child soldier (Agu).   He was awarded the Marcello Mastroianni’s Best Young Actor Award at the 72nd Venice International Film Festival.           The policy is expected to be rolled out in September, 2017 and the will ensure that Ghanaians who qualify for SHS are not burdened with financial difficulties.   The president recently said: “By free SHS, we mean that, in addition to tuition which is already free, there will be no admission fees, no library fees, no science centre fees, no computer lab fees, no examination fees, no utility fees; there will be free textbooks, free boarding and free meals, and day students will get a meal at school for free.”       He further stated that, the “free SHS will also cover agricultural, vocational and technical institutions at the high school level.  I also want to state clearly again that we have a well-thought out plan that involves the building of new public Senior High Schools and cluster public Senior High Schools”.    
Jun 29, 2017
The General Overseer and Founder of the Trinity Revival Ministry-Upper Spring Temple,  Father Tony, also known as Fada 1, has called for serious prayers against  planned assassinations against Member of Parliament (MP) for Assin Central, Kennedy Agyapong; Minister for the Foreign Affairs, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey and Education Minister, Matthew Opoku Prempeh. The man of God who prophesied about a month ago has stressed that, the lives of these three politicians were at skake especially the fire brand politician, Kennedy Agyapong. According to him, some individuals within the party who are threatened by the way the MP speaks the truth about corruption and thievery, want to assassinate him so they can have their peace of mind. ‘’Some individuals are planning to assassinate Kennedy Agyapong because of the way he exposes rot and corruption. They want to kill him because he speaks the truth. They want to kill him so they can have their way by stealing and corrupt the government. I gave the prophecy in London and through prayers, God revealed to me that his assassinators will butcher him to death and kill his driver but his personal bodyguard will manage to escape the attack.’’ ‘’They will kill him and his driver but they will assault the bodyguard. This is a serious issue I am talking about. We should not joke with it. We have to pray against it,’’ he added. Father Tony went on to state that, he has been threatened by those who are playing to assassinate the MP and the two other state Ministers because of his prophecy. He said, an unknown number called to warn me to stay away from my prophecy. They threatened to kill me if I don’t keep mute. The caller told me that he knew the location of my church and will send people to come and kill me in place of the three if I don’t keep quite.’’ The man of God refuted claims that he wants to ride on the politicians to become popular but he wants to speak the truth so the MP will be very careful. He should be very careful with his own party members. They have planned to kill him, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey and Matthew Opoku Prempeh. He [Kennedy] should be very cautious with his own party members because some of them are planning to kill him,’’ he said.
Jun 29, 2017
The Supreme Court has ordered the government to send the agreement that brought the two ex-detainees from Guantanamo Bay (GITMO) to Ghana to Parliament for ratification. The apex court said this should be done in the next three months else the government should send the two detainees back to the United States. The court gave the consequential orders when it ruled on the case on Thursday morning. The Supreme Court declared that the transfer of the two Guantanamo Bay (GITMO) ex-detainees to Ghana was unconstitutional. Two Ghanaian citizens, Margaret Bamful and Henry Nana Boakye, sued the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, together with the Minister of Interior, accusing then-President John Mahama of illegally bringing in the two former Gitmo detainees, without recourse to the laws of the land.   The plaintiffs were seeking, among other reliefs, a “declaration that on a true and proper interpretation of Article 75 of the 1992 Constitution of Ghana, the President of the Republic of Ghana acted unconstitutionally by agreeing to the transfer of Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammad Salih Al-Dhuby.”  
Jun 29, 2017
US President Donald Trump has told supporters that his proposed wall along the border with Mexico could have solar panels fixed to it. Addressing a rally in Iowa, he said the panels would provide cheap energy and help to pay for the controversial wall. He suggested the plan was his own, saying: "Pretty good imagination, right? Good? My idea." However, solar panels have been included in designs for the wall submitted by companies. During his campaign, Mr Trump pledged to build a wall along the Mexican border to stop illegal immigration and drug trafficking. He insisted he would make Mexico foot the bill, but President Enrique Peña Nieto has dismissed the idea. Mr Trump told cheering supporters at a campaign-style rally in Cedar Rapids on Wednesday that he would "give you an idea that nobody has heard about yet". "We're thinking of something that's unique, we're talking about the southern border, lots of sun, lots of heat. We're thinking about building the wall as a solar wall, so it creates energy and pays for itself. And this way, Mexico will have to pay much less money, and that's good, right?" He added: "Solar wall, panels, beautiful. I mean actually think of it, the higher it goes the more valuable it is. Pretty good imagination right? Good? My idea." More than 200 companies have reportedly responded to an invitation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to submit designs for the wall. Among them was one from Gleason Partners in Las Vegas that proposed a wall of steel, cement and solar panels. In April, US media reported that President Trump had raised the idea with Republican Congressional leaders in talks at the White House. Two academics also suggested the idea of a solar panelled wall in an article for the Wall Street Journal in March.   Source: BBC
Jun 29, 2017
Ghana Cocoa Board has taken a swipe at the Minority in Parliament over claims that it was cheating cocoa farmers. The Minority at a press briefing yesterday [Wednesday] took a swipe at the for scrapping the free distribution of fertilizer for farmers. “Surprisingly, the NPP government on assumption of office has replaced the free fertilization programme with a programme under which farmers pay (GHc80) for a bag of fertilizer. This is unacceptable, we cannot sit aloof for the government to cheat our cocoa farmers.” “Under the free fertilization programme, the cocoa farmer was entitled to 7.5 bags of granular fertilizer per every hectare of cocoa farm. So a farmer who has 100 hectares of cocoa farm was given 750 bags of fertilizer free of charge. Today under President Akufo-Addo/Bawumia government, the same farmer is to pay (GHc60,000) for the same 750 bags of fertilizer. This has exposed the Ghanaian cocoa farmer to intolerable levels of penury. We are therefore urging the NPP government to be sensitive to the plight of the Ghanaian cocoa farmer by halting the sale of the fertilizer and revert to the NDC’s free fertilization programme for the 2016/2017 cocoa season,” the Minority said. But in a statement released in reaction to the Minority’s statement, Ghana Cocoa Board said its decision to do away with the free fertilizer policy was in response to requests and complaints by farmers. “The free fertilizer policy created a lot of loopholes for diversion and smuggling of the inputs to the detriment of our cherished cocoa farmers.’’  COCBOD said “it is therefore in response to the several requests and recommendations from farmers that management decided to re-introduce the fertilizer subsidy programme. The minority will be surprised to know that the very farmers they seem to be crying for have overwhelmingly embraced the programme.”   The decision to move to subsidies COCOBOD said: “will ensure that the fertilizers will be readily available at all sales outlets across the cocoa growing areas, where interested farmers will buy and apply them accordingly.”
Jun 29, 2017
President Nana Akufo-Addo’s nominee for the position as Administrator for the District Assembly Common Fund (DACF), Irene Naa Torshie  has been approved by Parliament. The former Member of Parliament for Tema West Constituency, will replace Kojo Fynn, the former administrator who was relieved of his post by President Akufo-Addo earlier this year. “This honourable house has approved the nomination of Mrs Irene Naa Torshie Addo for appointment as Administrator of the District Assemblies Common Fund in accordance with Article 252 (4) of the Constitution. May I take the opportunity to congratulate her on your behalf,’’ Speaker of Parliament, Mike Oquaye said when the House approved the nominee who was vetted few days ago.    
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« June 2017 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30