Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Nov 19, 2017
The Dunkwao Circuit Court in the Central region presided over by His Honour Samuel Asare Nyarko has sentenced one Kwesi Frimpong, 55 years to 9 years imprisonment with hard labour after he was found guilty of causing unlawful harm to a 15 year old boy by stabbing him for money rituals. The culprit who according to the facts of the case presented before the court by prosecutor, C/Inspector Dogbe is a traditional priest apprentice under training at Dunkwao. Kwesi Frimpong aka Mallam stabbed the 15 year old victim in an attempt to use him for money rituals which failed. He was arrested by the police upon a tip-off some months ago. The convict pleaded guilty to the charge when he appeared before the court.  
Nov 19, 2017
Somalia's prime minister has publicly backed a campaign to ban female genital mutilation (FGM) in his country. It is currently against the constitution but parliament has not yet passed a bill outlawing the practice. Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke has joined more than a million others by signing an online petition calling for a comprehensive ban. The UN children's agency, Unicef, estimates that more than 90% of Somali girls undergo FGM. More on this and other African news stories Anatomy of female genital mutilation It says that it is mainly performed on four to 11-year-olds and can have a long-lasting impact on the girls' physical and mental health. Somali anti-FGM campaigner Ifrah Ahmed told the BBC that she had persuaded Mr Sharmarke to sign the petition organised by online campaign group Avaaz. She said that it was a significant move as many people in Somalia do not openly speak about the issue. Types of FGM •Clitoridectomy - partial or total removal of the clitoris •Excision - removal of the clitoris and inner labia (lips), with or without the outer labia •Infibulation - cutting, removing and sewing up the genitalia •Any other type of intentional damage to the female genitalia (burning, scraping et cetera) line Ms Ahmed, who has experienced FGM herself, thought it would help put pressure on the lawmakers to pass the bill. She has worked with Somalia's Women's Affairs Minister Sahra Samatar in drawing up the draft legislation. Ms Samatar told the BBC's Newsday programme that the prime minister's action was a "huge boost" to the efforts to get the law passed. Long way to go But campaigners acknowledge that it will take more than a law to end the practice. Ms Ahmed said that an education campaign, as well as a willingness to enforce the legislation, will be necessary. She said that it is widely practised in Somalia as people believe it is a religious requirement and girls who have not undergone it are taunted for not being cut. Source: BBC
Nov 19, 2017
A gang of four young men believed to be in the late twenties have allegedly gang raped a young lady at a near bush in Oshwem a suburb in the Ashanti region earlier this morning. Narrating the incident to Nyankonton Mu Nsem, Agyemang Tamakloe said, the gang of four went to a an alcoholic beverage bar to drink where they met the young lady who had also come to the bar to drink. They allegedly carried the young lady along with them upon realising that she was drunk and allegedly took turns to sexually abuse  her [name withheld] who fell into coma. She was later rushed to the hospital after a good samarithan saw her lying in the bush. Upon recovering from her unconsciousness, the victim whom we are told is a graduate from the KNUST, identified one Kusi Marteng as one of his rapist. The suspect who is currently in police custody, Tamakloe said is a commercial bus driver and a married man. His station masters and some residents plea to get him released by police because they believe he is innocent failed since the police claim they are in the process of interrogating him and possibly prosecute him.
Nov 19, 2017
Although it is unnecessary for the New Patriotic Party to employ the services of the three arrested South African retired officers to train their security persons, government is to blame for the mistrust in the security institutions by the opposition, security analyst Ibrahim Irbard has said. According to him,  the reason for the NPP to ''import'' the retired officers is because they have cast doubt on national security which is meant to protect every citizen irrespective of their political affiliations. Speaking in an interview with Nyankonton Mu Nsem whether there is any justification for the opposition NPP to bring in the South African trainers, he said the action is irresponsible and a threat to national security. However he was of the opinion that, the state security is now politically polarized with government suspected to be taking over the state security at its advantage. He maintained, majority of the top security apparatus of this country appointed by the government in power also creates anxiety and mistrust especially among the opposition because they feel the appointees may not be  fair and transparent since they hold an allegiance to they paymasters. He also chastised the NPP for engaging in acts that is dire to our peace and stability because they claim of training the 15 security guards of the presidential candidate and his running mate. He opined that, the action could easily lead to civil war and further train a parallel group that may pose a possible threat to our military forces. Ibrahim Irbard said, the action should not be encouraged since it is affront to peace and security. He added, the explanation by the NPP that they are training their guards to enhance their skills is ridiculous. The three South African retired officers, – Major Ahmed Shaik (retd), 54; Warrant Officer Denver Dwahye, 33, and Captain Mlungiseli Jokani, 45 – were picked up at the EL-Capitano Hotel where they had been based since arriving in the country early this month. Their activities according to the BNI posses serious threat to national security. They were training some young people in various security drills, including unarmed combat, weapon handling, VIP protection techniques and rapid response manoeuvres, at the time of their arrest.  
Nov 19, 2017
As part of efforts to ensure an accident free this Easter season, your multiple award winning International Local Radio Station, Rainbow Radio is embarking on a roadshow campaign dubbed ''Rainbow Radio In Your Bus''. The campaign is geared towards encouraging motorists to adopt good driving attitudes to reduce or if possible eradicate accidents on our roads this season as Ghanaians mark the crucifixion and resurrection of the saviour Lord Jesus. Rainbow Radio believes that, it is better to be safe than to be sorry hence the need for drivers to adopt measures that will  prevent accidents by taking all the precautions they can. Whiles the campaign is aimed to raising awareness for road safety, drivers will win amazing prizes from Rainbow Radio when our award winning presenters and staff join them on board with the dial locked onto Rainbow Radio 87.5fm. The aim is to also reward our cherished listeners (drivers) who have remained faithful with the station. We wish to stress the need for drivers to maintain road safety regulations, drive safe and abide by the 12 following steps to achieve the aim of the campaign.   1. As they say speed thrills and also kills. Keep a rein on your speed 2. Obey traffic rules. 3. Wear seat belts. 4. Pedestrians and children come first    5. Read caution signs   6. Adopt antiskid break systems in the cars, so that the risk of cars skidding can be reduced.    7. Air bags in vehicles are a must to cushion the impact in case of accidents.   8. Reflectors to be used on the rear of the vehicle. Ensure all lamps are in working condition. Hazard lamp should be switched on when the vehicle is parked on a highway.   9. Vehicle must be in good working condition-    10. Roads should be in good condition with proper sign boards.    11. Avoid drugs and alcohol while driving.    12. Falling asleep behind the wheel has led to a number of road accidents, so drivers are encouraged to take enough rest before they move their vehicles to save lives on our roads.  
Nov 19, 2017
President John Dramani Mahama yesterday held discussions with President Alhassane Ouattara of Cote D'Ivoire during a visit to commiserate with him and the people of the neighbouring country following last week's attack at Grand Bassam. At the meeting which was held behind behind closed doors, the president indicated that, Ghana was ready to collaborate its sister countries in the West African sub-region to address security threats facing them. At least, 16 people were killed after  six gunmen opened fire on civilians at an Ivory Coast beach resort, last week. Fourteen civilians and two special forces soldiers were killed before the six assailants were gunned down in the resort of Grand Bassam.  The attack last week targeted three hotels in the southeastern town about 40km east of the country's economic capital, Abidjan. President Mahama as part of the meeting called for strict border controls and activation of protocols on anti-terrorism as an effective measure of protecting citizens in the sub region.  President Mahama further admonished his counterparts to join forces together in preventing attackers whose motive is to harm citizens from doing so, although the sub-region maintains it integration of free movement. “…We have been discussing how we can commonly share intelligence and how we can still maintain our integration and let people move freely but at the same time make sure people who want to harm us and are coming across our borders we are able to identify who they are and prevent them from doing the evil that they want to inflict on our people.”  “It is a pity that this is happening at this time because we have been trying to integrate our economies and our people and create the opportunity for our people to move freely across our borders but when things like this happen, then it means you have to be more vigilant, you have to be scrutinizing people who are coming across the borders…”the President said.  He was accompanied by the Minister for the Interior Prosper Douglas Bani, Minister for Communications Dr. Edward Omane Boamah and the National Security Adviser Baba Kamara.  
Nov 19, 2017
The Ghanaian Embassy in the United States has served notice to travelers to apply for travel certificates instead passports as its faced with technical challenges to print and issue passports for those who intend visiting the country. A notice issued by the Ghana embassy indicated, they put on hold temporally the printing of passport, however, they working tirelessly to resolve the technical challenge.   Below are details of the notice     The embassy of Ghana hereby informs that due to technical challenges the issuance of Ghana passport is temporary on hold.   Whiles we work tirelessly to resolve this challenge, the embassy takes this opportunity to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience.   You may have to apply for travel certificate in writing. Now this comes with its own issues.   1.Not all airlines accept travel certificates  2.You can only use it for a one way trip to Ghana only  3.You will have to make your own arrangement to get a passport once you get to Ghana  4.The fee for travel certificate is $50 
Nov 19, 2017
  UEFA will consider playing Euro 2016 without supporters if the terrorism threat rises in the next three months, the governing body's executive committee vice-president has said.   Giancarlo Abete, vice-president since 2011, told Italian radio that more extreme measures may have to be taken for the tournament in France following Tuesday's terror attacks in Belgium.   The former head of the Italian FA told Radio24: "Euro 2016 is the kind of event that we can't delay or postpone.   "We can't exclude the possibility of playing behind closed doors, as we cannot exclude terrorism. If we talked about potentially cancellable games, such as a friendly or a competitive match, they could be moved to another date.   "Obviously this would not be the case. But we are talking about games which are staged for June whereas, today, we are going through a very urgent emergency."     At least 34 people were killed in Brussels following explosions at Zavantem Airport and Maalbeek metro station.   Belgium's national squad cancelled their training session yesterday and their friendly against Portugal in Brussels next week is in serious doubt.   FIFA has released a statement reaffirming its commitment to guaranteeing a "safe and secure" Euro 2016 in France this summer.     Source: Skysports
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« November 2017 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30