Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
Oct 17, 2018
Six people have been injured in a "serious collision" between a minibus and a lorry on the M4. The crash happened just after 12:00 BST on the eastbound carriageway between junction 14 at Hungerford and junction 13 at Newbury. South Central Ambulance Service said three people in the minibus had been taken to hospitals in Oxford and Bristol with life-threatening injuries. The eastbound carriageway is expected to be blocked for "many hours". Three other people in the minibus suffered less serious injuries and were taken to hospitals in Swindon and Reading, the ambulance service said. The westbound carriageway was closed to allow three air ambulances to land but has since reopened. Two of the seriously injured were flown to major trauma centres at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and Bristol Southmead Hospital. The third was taken by road, also to the John Radcliffe. Thames Valley Police have advised motorists to avoid the area if possible. James Lloyd, who passed the scene shortly after the crash, said a large articulated lorry had gone into the back of a minibus, The force of the impact had shunted the minibus between about 50 yards along the carriageway, he added. Dominique Hamblin tweeted: "I have never seen an accident site so horrendous looking and with such an enormous emergency services response as on the M4. Looked nasty, I pray it's not that bad." Source: BBC
Oct 17, 2018
Parts of the ceiling at the Accra Mall have collapsed according to reports. Details available to rainbowradioonline.com indicate that one person has sustained injuries as a result of the incident. A viral video on social media saw some workers and patrons of the mall running for cover. More soon…
Oct 17, 2018
The election directorate of the main opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), has revealed at a press conference today (Tuesday) that, the party did not have in existence an electronic system of collating results. The party the directorate explained relied on manual form of collation as done in the past. However, an electronic system used by private individuals (referring to the presidency) failed the party and could not be relied on in 2016. Acting director of elections, Bede A. Ziedeng, addressing the press indicated that, the infrastructure of the collation of results directly from the polling station in nation elections does not exist in the NDC, and so could not have been deployed in the collation of results of the 2016 elections. ‘’What happened, however was that during the 2016 elections, there was an attempt to establish a new infrastructure for the collation of results from the polling stations. But this was completely outside the directorate and the elections directorate was not involved in its management. Unfortunately, it was this infrastructure which crashed soon after it was deployed and therefore failed to provide any results for the party.’’ This he added was alluded to in the Kwesi Botchway report. The party had to fall back on the election directorate to collate the results manually. He was however quick to add that, ‘’if the system put in place outside the national election directorate of the NDC had survived, it would also have been the first time in history of election collation that, such a system would have been used.’’ The ruling NPP he said used the same system and in their case, it worked for them. He further clarified that, the election directorate had started the collation of results at the party headquarters right from December 7th, 2016 through to December 9th, 2016 when former President conceded defeat. At the time Mr Mahama conceded, the NDC had collated results from 235 constituencies, he disclosed. He shockingly disclosed to the press the prepared budget for the directorate was not approved. ’’We hope the question will not be asked, why did not have the electronic transmission system that would have enabled us collate directly from the polling stations to the national database. We prepared a budget for the directorate but we did not receive the necessary funding. We therefore were left with no other alternative but to work with the tools we had at our disposal.’’ He used the opportunity to slam individuals who have attacked Mr Ofosu Ampofo, the Director Elections for failing to collate results for the party. He described the allegations as palpable falsehood and untruthful statements. ‘’The attention of the elections directorate of the NDC has been drawn to some untruthful statements in some untruthful statements in some sections of the media to the effect that the elections directorate of the NDC headed by Mr Ofosu Ampofo, failed to collate the results of 2016 presidential elections. This view is palpably incorrect, and the directorate states categorically that the results were duly collated and compiled by members of the directorate and are available for verification at the party headquarters for those who care to know.’’
Oct 17, 2018
The High Court sitting in Accra has declined an application by Kennedy Agyapong seeking to dismiss the 25 million defamation suit against him by Anas Aremeyaw Anas. The Court also held that the writ filed by Anas does not in any way violate the constitutional rights of Mr Agyapong as no relevant legal points have been raised to substantiate that claim. Mr Agyapong claimed that the wearing of a. mask and the concealment of his identity breached his constitutional rights under article 33 of the Constitution. The Court directed Anas to furnish Mr Agyapong with a more detailed address in 10 days as the current address provided is not sufficient. The Court noted that Anas uses North Labone Crescent while Kweku Baako, who also lives there, describes it as North Labone Estates in a writ he filed in the Supreme Court. The Court further directed Mr Agyapong to file his statement of defence within 14 days. Mr Agyapong had filed an application seeking to dismiss Anas’ law suit on the bases that the writ was incompetent, that it did not disclose Anas' address, that even the address provided by Anas was not his address and he did not live there and finally that the writ breached his constitutional right as a person.
Oct 17, 2018
The leadership of a civil society group called the Citizens Forum Ghana have, as a matter of urgency called on the Nana Addo led government to adopt a way of prioritizing the sanitation problem in Ghana rather than making it a fashion show as ministers and agencies in charge of sanitation are paid for being idle. The no action attitude of those in charge of sanitation have rendered various MMDA’s confused on where to get a final disposing site due to the scarcity of land, the group posited. In a press release signed by Paa Clement and Sieh Francis, the secretary and executive director respectively, they expressed worry over the fact that, Ghanaians can’t manage their waste which has been a canker in the Brong Ahafo region especially Sunyani, Techiman and Ghana as a whole. In an interview, with Sieh Francis, the executive director, he grieved over the fact that, the sanitation issue if not tackled will send all investors away from the country since they wouldn’t want anything to do with malaria. He again cautioned the people of Ghana to do their best and also be citizens and not mere spectators. He urged the government to put in place appropriate measures to punish culprits who violate the saniation by laws. By: Doreen Oppong (Intern Rainbow Radio)
Oct 17, 2018
The Freight Forwarders Association of Ghana has reiterated the need for government to review the taxes charged at country’s ports. They are demanding an overhaul of the revenue collection systems at the various ports in the country. Technical member of the association, Kweku Otchere Darko in an interview said, the development is affecting their businesses. He told Rainbow Radio’s Kwame Tutu that attempts to reduce the taxes over the years have been unsuccessful. There are a number of taxes charged at the ports currently one of them is the Common External Tariff which was enacted in 2016, it repealed the Harmonized System and Customs Tariff Schedule 2012, there is also import duties which range between 0 and 35 percent depending on the nature of item imported. Others are VAT and NHIL of 17.5 percent and special import levy among others. He stressed, the taxes must be reduced to ease the burden they are currently facing as well as achieve tax compliance. He said, although the president established a committee to engage importers, the implementation and report are gathering dust. Freight Forwards in August this year laid down their tools to protest against the implementation of the Cargo Tracking Notes (CTN) system at the ports. The action they said was necessitated by the government’s failure to heed concerns on the policy, which impedes trade facilitation. The CTN requires importers to provide real time information on all consignments to Ghana to a global monitoring platform. Mr Otchere Darko maintained the CTN is an illegality and although government pledge to bear the cost, it has redirected shippers and freight forwarders to bear the cost. Government has backtracked on its decision to absorb the cost of the cargo tracking note (CTN) when the implementation of the module starts on October 15, 2018. This, however, means that shippers or importers are now to pay for fees or charges applicable to the CTN module contrary to an initial pledge by the government to absorb the cost. Meanwhile, importers, led by a Joint Business Consultative Forum (JBCF), have petitioned President Akufo-Addo expressing their displeasure at the proposed date for the implementation. “We appeal to the President to consider the difficulties and confusion that the implementation of the CTN will bring to bear on the business community,” the petition stated. The petition further said, CTN as a module could never be implemented at the country’s borders where goods were not packed in containers but were carried by vehicles and most of the time by head potters without manifest or bill of laden. “The CTN by this is, therefore, targeted at a section of the importing community who uses the mainstream sea ports and this is definitely not fair-trade. “We are very much aware also in this regard that over 50 per cent of imported goods into the country are exempted from the payment of duties and taxes. We are by this making it clear that there is no fairness with the whole tax system, since it is only the few compliant ones that are shouldering the tax burden. “We in the business community hereby state that such a porous system should not be imposed and, therefore, advise the government not to consider its implementation,”
Oct 17, 2018
The third-strongest storm in recorded history to hit the mainland US has battered north-west Florida, flooding beach towns and snapping trees. Hurricane Michael made landfall on Wednesday afternoon as a category four storm with 155mph (250km/h) winds in the state's Panhandle region. Two people, including a child, were killed by falling trees, officials say. Michael was downgraded to a tropical storm as it weakened over Georgia on its way to the Carolinas. Storm-surge warnings are in place between Panama City Beach and Keaton Beach in Florida, and between Ocracoke Inlet and Duck in North Carolina, the US National Hurricane Center says. There are fears for people who ignored evacuation warnings in some of the areas now flooded. Hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses were left without electricity in Florida, Alabama and Georgia. Florida officials said a man was killed when he was crushed by a tree in Gadsden County while a child died when a tree fell on a home in Seminole County, Georgia, CBS news reports. Michael earlier reportedly killed at least 13 people as it passed through Central America: six in Honduras, four in Nicaragua and three in El Salvador. How powerful was Michael when it hit? Michael made landfall near Mexico Beach, Florida, at around 14:00 (18:00 GMT) on Wednesday. Only the unnamed Labor Day hurricane, which hit Florida in 1935, and Hurricane Camille, which struck Mississippi in 1969, made landfall with greater intensity. The Labor Day storm's barometric pressure (the lower the number, the stronger the storm) was 892 millibars and Camille's was 900, while Michael blew in with 919Michael was so powerful as it swept into Florida that it remained a hurricane as it moved further inland. Its rapid intensification caught many by surprise, although the storm later weakened. Unusually warm waters in the Gulf of Mexico turbo-charged the storm from a tropical depression on Sunday. Only on Tuesday it was a category two hurricane but by Wednesday morning it had reached borderline category five, the highest level. How badly was Florida hit? More than 370,000 people in Florida were ordered to evacuate but officials believe many ignored the warning. The coastal city of Apalachicola reported a storm surge of nearly 8ft (2.5m). "There are so many downed power lines and trees that it's almost impossible to get through the city," local mayor Van Johnson was quoted as saying by Reuters news agency. Images from Mexico Beach show many homes submerged in water, and there was severe damage to buildings in the state's Panama City area. "We are catching some hell," Timothy Thomas, who rode out the storm with his wife in their home in Panama City, told the Associated Press news agency. Federal Emergency Management Agency Director Brock Long said at the White House that he was especially concerned about buildings constructed before 2001, and not able to withstand such high winds. "We just hope those structures can hold up," President Donald Trump responded. "And if not, that they're not in those structures." States of emergency have been declared in all or parts of Florida, Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina. Schools and state offices in the area are to remain shut this week and Florida has activated 3,500 National Guard troops. What happens next? As of early Thursday morning local time, the storm winds had dropped to 60mph, the NHC said. It warned that communities in north-west Florida and North Carolina faced the threat of life-threatening flooding as rising water moved inland from the coast. The Carolinas are still recovering from the floods of Hurricane Florence. Source: BBC
Oct 17, 2018
The Deputy National Organizer of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Joshua Hamidu, has said he would have accosted Vice President Dr. Bawumia and demanded for refund off the money used by his delegation at the UN Geneva conference. He was reacting to the delegation that accompanied Dr. Bawumia to UN conference in Geneva. He believes the vice president despite being an economist lacks the expertise and skills to manage his office and messing up on daily basis. Ghana seems to have chalked a rather negative record feat at the United Nations Assembly after presenting a twenty two-man delegation led by Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia to the world body’s Trade and Development Conference in Geneva, Switzerland. While other member countries presented an average of five participants, representatives of Ghana lined up delegates including Protocol, Official Cameraman, Official Photographer, Valet and Chief Security Officer as well as several officials at the Office of the Vice President. Reacting to the story, the aspiring National Organizer in the upcoming national delegates conference of NDC described the second gentleman of the land as wicked, insensitive, incompetent and a blockhead. Speaking to Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm he said, the vice president is lucky I have not been elected as national organizer. I would met him at the airport upon arriving from the Geneva conference and demanded for the money he wasted on the 22-man delegation to Geneva. Mr Akamba when cautioned be circumspect in his comments stressed, ‘’he is lucky I have not been elected as national organizer, I would have met him at the airport, held him tight and ask him to refund the money he wasted at the conference. I would have held him and until I am shot dead , I will not leave him.’’ According to him, the vice president and his delegation are wasting our resources whereas students at the Tempane Senior School are being bitten by bed bugs. He has promised to match the ruling government boot for boot and give it sleepless nights should he be elected as national organizer. According to him, what he did at Tempane Senior School was less. He said, ‘’I fear nothing. I have seen worse things in life except the grave. I don’t know how life in the grave looks like but I fear nothing and until I go into my grave, I will fear nothing. What I did at Tempane was less.’’ ‘’I swear by God, he is lucky I am not the national organizer, I would have held him and asked him to count the money and give back to Ghana. I would have done the same thing to the president,’’ he said. ‘’You don’t have an idea of what people are going through in this country,’’ he noted.
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« October 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31