The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has offered another opportunity to the 31,196 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) candidates who failed to make the grade for admission to senior high schools (SHSs) and technical institutes this year.
The candidates can register for the 2019 BECE for Private Candidates to improve on their grades to enable them to benefit from the free SHS policy next year.
The Head of Public Affairs of WAEC, Mrs Agnes Teye-Cudjoe, told the Junior Graphic that first-time candidates as well as those seeking to improve on their grades have between October 1 and November 30, 2018, to register for the BECE for Private Candidates.
This year, 31,196 candidates could not be placed in SHSs and technical institutes (TIs) because they scored Grade Nine in either Mathematics or English Language.
About 490,514 out of a total of 521,710 candidates who sat for the BECE this year qualified to be placed in SHSs and TIs for the double track educational system.
They included those who sat for the private BECE in February this year.
Mrs Teye-Cudjoe said it was the expectation of WAEC that candidates; including those who would be rewriting the exam and others who would be first-time candidates would take advantage of the opportunity given them to pursue secondary education.
“There is an opportunity for those who sit for the private BECE to benefit from the free SHS. In fact, this is a chance for them. I would, especially encourage the first-timers; those who have never written the BECE before to take advantage of this as well,” she said.
Asked whether the candidates would benefit from the government’s programme of free registration, Mrs Teye-Cudjoe said no, explaining that the candidates themselves would have to bear the full cost of the registration for the examination.
She said candidates who want the government’s support would have to go back to their former junior high schools (JHSs) so that their names would be added to the list of candidates of their former schools for the 2019 BECE for School Candidates.
She explained that candidates who wrote the private BECE were not required to register for all the subjects but could register for only the subjects they did not perform well in when they sat for the school BECE.
“If you want to register, you have to go online to our (WAEC) website and go through the requirements.
“I would like to advise candidates who go to Internet cafes to register to provide their correct details, especially their dates of birth and the spelling of their names.
This is because we have had situations where some candidates come back to complain that their names and dates of birth were wrong,” she said.
According to her, candidates should not just leave their details with cafe operators to register them but should personally take part in the process to ensure that their details were correct.
The 2019 BECE for Private Candidates will be the fifth since the inception of the initiative which began in 2015 with 1,181 candidates.
In 2016, 1,418 candidates sat for the examination while there were 1,379 candidates in 2017.
Last year recorded the highest number of candidates of 11,856 which could have been as a result of the introduction of the free SHS policy.
The private BECE would be written from February 11-15, 2019.
Award winning female vocalist, Jane Awindor, better known by her stage name Efya, says she is not interested in dating and will only prefer wealthy men.
The multiple award winging songwriter told Sokoohemaa Kukua on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, she is currently not dating and not ready to date.
However, she will accept proposals from wealthy men if she decides to date, she told the host.
When asked why she is not dating the musician said, ‘’I am not interested.’’
She further explained that her reason why she requires a wealthy man, is because she is already making money and not interested in the wealth of the man but requires love and affection.
Meanwhile, she has expressed her desire to direct movies.
According to her, her love for movies is unmatched and deep rooted in her blood.
One of Ghana’s local banks, Prudential Bank has asked customers to disregard information circulating on social media that the bank is on the verge of collapse.
The bank in a statement described the publication as false and asked customers and the general public to ignore the fabrications calculated at destroying the bank which has existed for more than 20 years.
The bank further states that it has never experienced any liquidity problems nor has it gone to the central bank for any liquidity support in its 22 year history.
The story circulating on social media has alleged that the bank had failed to meet the need requirements and regulations.
However, the bank in its statement rubbished the claims and insisted that it has complied with the requirements for quarterly and annual financial publications and monthly submission of returns to the bank of Ghana.
As part of efforts to harness Ghana’s renewable energy drive and reduce its over-reliance on electricity, Vice President Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia has announced that feasibility studies are currently underway to move a number of government institutions to solar power.
Dr. Bawumia noted that government has taken this decision in order to wane off most state institutions completely from the use of electricity. He added that this move by government is a major effort at doing away with high cost of electricity.
He mentioned that the Jubilee and Parliament House, are the major two state institutions that will soon be connected to solar power energy. He added that all Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDA’s) including hospitals, schools police station will follow the move.
Ghana Renewable Energy Fair
Speaking at the 4th Ghana Renewable Energy Fair organized by the Energy Commission on the theme: Renewable Energy: Exploiting Energy Resources at the District Level, Dr. Bawumia mentioned that the cost of renewable energy has drastically reduced and thus important government takes advantage to convert all state institutions to solar power.
“By making sure that the energy sector is financially self sufficient, government must move more towards solar power so that we don’t get burdened with more electricity bills that government finds it difficult in paying”, Dr. Bawumia said.
Government to open bid for solar development project
In the attempt to increase the solar energy component of the national energy mix, the Vice President mentioned that government will soon open bidding for the development of cost effective scalable solar power project to harness Ghana’s renewable energy sector.
He noted that the project is aimed at accelerating the development of many grid solutions in off-grid and island communities in the country which would focus on lighting, irrigation, agricultural and other economic activities.
“The project will be subject to competitive bidding to enable us adopt the most efficient technologists and also achieve the value for money”, Dr. Bawumia said.
Rooftop sola development project
The Vice President referred to the fallen prices of solar panels, saying rooftop solar system has become increasingly accessible for domestic and business use; government has introduced the National Rooftop programme to facilitate the adoption of panel system in various homes.
As a result of this, Dr. Bawumia said government has decided to widen the scope of the programme to include the installation of Solar PVs system for some selected off-grid rural communities.
He further urged the Ghana Irrigation Development Authority to consider the use of cost-effective utility scale renewable energy technologies in their irrigation schemes for areas that are remote from the national grid.
Owing that the high price of power, Dr. Bawumaih said it is the goal of government to reduce the cost of electricity tariffs from 18 cents per kilo watt hour (per kWh) to under 10 cents per kilo watt hour (per kWh).
Ministry of Energy, ECG
Vice President noted government’s goal at reducing the cost of energy generation is on course as the Ministry of Energy and the Electricity Company of Ghana have been tasked to use competitive tendering procedure for procurement of renewable energy.
According to him, the winner of the tender will be guaranteed a power purchase agreement, connection agreement and government enhancement to ensure that the state gets value for money.
A driver has lost his life through a fatal accident at the Dominase junction this morning, Rainbow Radio’s Nana Yaw Asare has reported.
According to him, a cargo loaded with scraps from Takoradi to Accra with registration number AW 8148-12 collided with a Hyundai grace trotro with registration number GW 9285-18.
The driver of the Hyundai grace died on the spot and body has been sent to the Winneba government hospital, he said.
His name was given as Abdul Jalilu.
The deceased according to the police was sleeping behind the wheels, veered off his lane and crashed into the cargo car.
Meanwhile, the cargo driver escaped unhurt.
ASP Paul Ankan, the police commander decried the speed at which drivers who ply the road drive at.
He advised drivers to be guided by strict motor traffic rules, be disciplined in order to avoid accidents on our roads.
The Ashanti regional Minister, Simmons Osei Mensah has denied insulting Northerners as alleged in a viral audio circulating on social media.
A viral audio circulating on social media has been attributed to the minister.
The content of the audio cannot be published by this website due to the content.
However, the minister has disassociated himself form it saying it is an attempt by some faceless individuals to denigrate him.
Read the full statement below
PRESS STATEMENT My attention has been drawn to a malicious and fake audio circulating on the various social media, especially, on Whatsapp and Facebook platforms and purportedly coming from my end.
The contents of this said audio seen on these platforms had my name attached to it to the effect that I made those disparaging comments; comments which are so tribal, comment which can break the peace and cohesion of this country.
The audio also seemed to suggest that I, Simon Osei Mensah, had replied to a supposed post by someone (mentioned in the audio as Akamba.)
First, I wish to state emphatically that the voice is never mine, and again, I have never been on any platform whatsoever with that name mentioned in the audio.
There is no semblance of this voice and that of mine. I see this as a lazy job from desperate political opponents who are bent on soiling my reputation.
I see this as a clear handy works of my detractors who are just not happy with me and my stern resolve to fight corruption in the region.
Those who have known me and those who have come close to me even in these short time I assumed office as the Regional Minister for Ashanti, can attest to it that I hate tribal politics as well as anything that can threaten the foundation of peace on this country.
Let me also state categorically that this will not in anyway slow me down or bruise my resolve to lead this region and make it a better place.
I, therefore urge the general public to disregard this audio, as it is not true. My humbling beginning has taught me how to live with people, irrespective of tribe, social or economic class.
This government and it's appointees are clearly aware of how we came to power, and the massive endorsement that the party received from our non- Alan brothers and sisters, and, it will be politically suicidal to go that tangent.
Let me once again assure the public that I, Simon Osei-Mensah, have never, and will never descend in such gutters with anyone, irrespective of the provocation.
We are one people with a common ambition; an ambition to see a prosperous nation, an ambition to see Ghana move forward, to see the youth get sustainable employment and, an ambition to make Ghana work again.
Hon. Simmons Osei Mensah
Ashanti Regional Minister
The major street along the Kantamanto area is gradually turning to a dump site.
The heap of rubbish is increasing on daily basis.
Investigations conducted by our team revealed some persons dump their waste late in the night.
Traders and residents have complained bitterly about the situation and called on authorities to address it with immediate effect.
They have also asked that sanctions be given when culprits are caught to serve as a deterrent for others.
A similar situation is still ongoing at the Circle interchange where people have turned the pedestrian walkway under the interchange to a dump site.
Heaps of rubbish are collected on daily basis at the interchange, a situation which is gradually affecting the lifespan and beauty of the facility.
When contacted, the Accra Metropolitan Assembly said it has deployed men to attend to the situation.
At least 40 people have been killed after a bus travelling from the Kenyan capital Nairobi to Kisumu, in the west, veered off the road, police say.
Many reportedly died when the vehicle overturned. Police fear the death toll may rise, with the possibility of passengers trapped in the wreckage.
"The roof of the bus was ripped off," a local official said.
Police said the driver had lost control and plunged down a slope at a notorious accident black spot.
The bus was carrying 52 passengers at the time of the crash in the early hours of Wednesday morning, police said.
Some local media reports put the total number of victims at 42.
Children are believed to be among the dead.
An eyewitness described hearing "a long hooting sound, then a screech that was followed by a bang and loud screams," Kenyan newspaper Daily Nation reported.
The newspaper added that a number of people had been taken to a local hospital for treatment.
Highway roads in Kenya can be notoriously dangerous and the World Health Organization (WHO) has ranked Kenya as one of the world's worst countries for road safety.
Last December, some 36 people died in a head-on collision between a lorry and a Nairobi-bound bus on a road near Migaa in Kenya.
In 2016, several vehicles were engulfed in flames in a crash involving an oil tanker in Naivasha, Kenya, which killed dozens of people.
Hurricane Michael has been upgraded to an "extremely dangerous" category 4 storm, hours before it is due to make landfall in Florida.
The storm has sustained winds of 130mph (210km/h) and is due to make landfall at about midday (16:00 GMT).
More than 370,000 people in Florida have been ordered to evacuate and move to higher ground.
At least 13 people reportedly died in Central America over the weekend as a result of storm rains and floods.
Florida has declared a state of emergency, as have Alabama and Georgia.
What are the latest developments?
In its latest bulletin, the Miami-based National Hurricane Center (NHC) said Michael had become "an extremely dangerous category 4 hurricane".
It warned of a life-threatening storm surge, hurricane force winds and heavy rainfall along the north-eastern Gulf coast.
Michael, it added, could see some additional strengthening before it made landfall in the Florida Panhandle or Big Bend area.
At 02:00 local time on Wednesday, the eye of Michael was about 170 miles south-west of the coastal city of Apalachicola.
The NHC warns that some regions of Florida may experience storm surges of up to 13ft (4m).
Michael is currently moving northwards at 12mph.
On the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale, category 4 includes winds of up to 156mph with possible severe damage to even well-built homes and trees being felled.
"Weakening is expected after landfall as Michael moves across the south-eastern United States," the NHC added.
Florida Governor Rick Scott called Michael "monstrous storm" and urged residents to listen to officials.
Despite the warnings, local officials believe a far smaller number of people have in fact moved away.
Schools and state offices in the area are to remain shut this week.
On Tuesday, Gov Scott said he had activated 2,500 Florida National Guard troops.
Heavy rains are forecast for the Carolinas, which were drenched by Hurricane Florence last month.
North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper told residents: "I know people are fatigued from Florence, but don't let this storm catch you with your guard down."
More than 300 miles of coastline are currently under threat, the National Weather Service has said.
Forecasters in Alabama warned of possible tornados.
President Donald Trump told reporters on Tuesday: "We are very well prepared for the incoming hurricane."
Where has Hurricane Michael hit so far?
According to the Associated Press, six people were killed in Honduras, four in Nicaragua and three in El Salvador.
Images on social media showed evacuating families wading through water to get to safety.
Parts of western Cuba, which was hit by the storm on Monday, were forecast to receive up to a foot of rain.
Offshore oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico have evacuated workers, halting nearly a fifth of daily production.
Five drilling rigs have been moved out of the storm's path, according to the US Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement.