A suicide attack at a voter registration centre in the Afghan capital Kabul has killed at least 31 people, officials say.
More than 50 others were injured in the blast which hit a crowd waiting at the entrance to the building.
The Islamic State group (IS) has claimed via its Amaq news agency that it carried out the attack.
Voter registration began this month for legislative elections which are due to take place in October.
The Amaq report said that a suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt targeted the centre, which is in the Dashte Barchi area of western Kabul.
Images from the scene show blood-stained documents and photographs on the floor.
Abandoned shoes and broken glass litter the area and nearby vehicles are riddled with holes.
Eyewitness Bashir Ahmad said many of the victims were women with children who were there to get their identity cards and register for the elections.
There have already been at least four attacks on such centres since voter registration got under way a week ago.
Sunday's attack was Kabul's deadliest since at least 100 people were killed in a district full of government buildings and embassies in January.
Afghanistan's interior minister told the BBC earlier this year that both the Taliban and IS were targeting civilians to provoke people against the government and create chaos.
The legislative elections later this year will be followed by a presidential poll in 2019.
BBC research earlier this year found that the Afghan government has full control over just 30% of the country, with the rest of the country under significant threat from the Taliban, and, to a lesser extent, IS.
IS is fighting both Afghan military forces and the Taliban for control.
Former Ghanaian President, John Dramani Mahama, will today assume the Chairmanship of the TANA High-Level Forum on Security in Africa, taking over from President Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria.
Based in Ethiopia, the TANA Forum is a platform for African leaders, stakeholders and thought leaders to collaboratively engage in exploring and exchanging ideas on African-led solutions to its security challenges.
The Forum was launched in 2012 and is actively supported by the Ethiopian Government as an African- owned initiative to explore solutions by Africans for the continents security challenges.
Today’s ceremony will end two days of discussions on the theme, Ownership of Africa’s Peace and Security Provisions.
The Board and the Executive Directors of the Institute for Liberty & Policy Innovation (ILAPI) has appointed Mr. Isaac Kojo Annan Yalley as a Research Fellow and Monetary Economist.
Mr. Yalley holds Diploma in Accounting, Bachelor of Arts in Economics and Political Science from University of Ghana, Bachelors degree in biblical studies from American Bible university, Chartered Accountant from the Institute of Chartered accountants (ICAG).
He also holds diploma in chartered treasury and risk management from the Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAG), Associate member of certified chartered Economists (Monetary Economics option).
Isaac Kojo Annan Yalley is currently Pursuing Msc. Economics (Monetary Economics option) at the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Investment and stock trading course at Ghana Stock Exchange and Masters Degree in Divinity at American Bible University.
The Institute for Liberty & Policy Innovation (ILAPI- Ghana), is a Ghanaian based free market and policy Think Tank.
It emerged the winner of the 2017 Think Tank Shark Tank – Africa Competition held in Johannesburg in South Africa recently.
The Think Tank, represented by its Executive Director, Peter Bismark Kwofie,
A social media post by business mogul, Nana Appiah Mensah, has sparked debate online over his intention to contest as president for the republic of Ghana.
NAM 1, as he affectionately called in a tweet on his official twitter handle posited that, a nation that fails to invest into the coming generation in the areas of technology and science will continue to remain in the shackles of ‘’economic captivity’’.
The tweet also called for a change so Ghana will have leaders that can help shape the country and give it a new hope.
The tweet read: ‘’A nation that fails to ‘’refine’’ it’s up and coming generation, especially in this technological and scientific age, would perpetually remain in the shackles of economic captivity. Ghana, ’Change We Must.’
#GhanaShallProsper #Hopeishere,’’ it ended.
After taking the entertainment industry by storm by signing artistes like Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale, Kumi Guitar, Joyce Blessing among others, the business mogul has decided to sponsor the premier league.
Nana Appiah Mensah, broke the news of sponsoring the Ghana Premier league through, one of his able lietenants Frederick Boateng.
“On behalf of Nana Appiah Mensah and his team, I would like to announce that Zylofon will be sponsoring the Ghana Premier League”, Boateng revealed.
“Our team has decided to throw our weight behind Ghana football. To you the players present, I urge you all to aspire to higher heights. You should take your job serious as you represent Ghana in football. You should know that when you don the national jersey, you represent yourself, family and the nation. Do this with all your heart, so after you retire, you will be counted among the legends of Ghana football”, Nana Appiah Mensah said at the short ceremony to announce their decision to sponsor the local league.
Brief Profile of NAM 1
Born on 16th May in Accra, Nana Appiah Mensah is an Ashanti and he is married to the owner of Rozzy’s Collection, Mrs. Mensah. They have one handsome boy together.
Nana Appiah Mensah was born to Susie Ivy Brew a successful business executive in Ghana and Napolean Mensah Abrompah, a distinguished banker.
For his young age, the business guru also has several distinguished international academic backgrounds in Mining and Environmental studies, finance, Political Science, Economics & Business Management, Psychology, African and World History, Theology, and Law.
Nana Appiah is also the CEO of Brew Marketing Consult Co. Limited, Menzgold Espana S.L, T.I.A. Holdings (USA), Brew Energy Company Limited, Brew Realty Company Limited, and Cheetah Security Co. Limited.
List of Businesses owned by NAM 1
Menzgold Ghana Ltd. Menzgold Ghana Limited is a limited liability company duly registered and incorporated in Ghana by the company’s Act of 1963 (ACT 179). The company undertakes dealership in Gold, Diamonds and other precious stones and metals.
Brew Marketing Consult Co. Limited
Brew Marketing Consult sells outsourced products from MENZGOLD GH. LTD.
Menzgold Espana S.L In Spain
Established on September 2, 2017, the company’s activities include;
1 Construction, installations, and maintenance
2 Wholesale and retail trade Intermediaries of the trade of diverse products
3 Real estate activities, the sale, and intermediation of all kinds of rural and urban properties, the promotion and construction.
The annual turnover for this business in Spain is less than 2 million euros, Zionfelix.net checks revealed.
Zylofon Media Company Limited
Zylofon Media is a multimedia entertainment company established to supply profitable, acceptable, audio and visual entertainment to diverse domestic and international consumers.
Under Zylofon Media he has Zylofon FM, Zylofon Music, Zylofon Movies, Zylofon TV, Zylofon Marketing and Copyright office.
T.I.A. Holdings (USA)
Brew Energy Company Limited
Brew Realty Company Limited
Cheetah Security Co. Limited
Controversial radio owner and entertainment critic, Alfred Kwame Larb,i aka DJ Oxygen, has prophesied that, the General Overseer of the True Word Fire Prophetic Ministry, Prophet Nigel Gaisie, will die through a road accident.
He told host of GH Entertainment Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr. Handsome, on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, he was sleeping one evening when God revealed to him that, the man of God who has been credited with some prophecies in the country, will die through a road accident.
The radio personality who is also a man of God said the prophet will die through a road accident and the accident will occur on the Nsawam road.
He went on to state that the date for the road accident will be December 9, 2018 and should the prophet joke with the prophecy, he will die because the prophecy is a serious one.
Mr. Larbi, went on to reveal on the show that the death of the prophet is being orchestrated from the spiritual real and by some powerful evil manipulators who are infuriated by some prophecies Prophet Nigel, has prophesied.
‘’He has prophesied about the nine and the nine are annoyed with him. He will die on December 9th, 2018. He saw that a nine will die and nine died... He will die on the 9th if he jokes with the prophecy,’’ he added.
Highlife musician Kwame Anokye, widely known as Daddy Lumba Junior, who recently changed his name following a recent suit filed by Daddy Lumba against him for impersonation says he no longer perform songs by the celebrated highlife musician.
In an exclusive interview with GH Entertainment Show Host, Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr. Handsome, on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, ‘Kwame Supremo,' said he currently perform his own songs at events he is invited to.
According to the young artiste who says he takes inspiration from Daddy Lumba, explained he decided to change his name to avoid the wrath of his ‘godfather.’
When the host suggested to him that his new name may not make him popular like the Daddy Lumba Junior, he said, ‘’I have decided to adopt the new name and I believe the new name will give me a new identity.’’
Kwame Supremo is known for his songs 'Befa Me', 'nEfri Nea Efire' and 'Hye Wo Ho Den', 'Krom Aye De', among others.
On January 17, 2018, Daddy Lumba filed a lawsuit at the Accra High Court alleging that Kwame Anokye also known as DL Junior, had claimed to be his son and even impersonated him to get gifts from people.
He further alleged that Anokye had a history of impersonating him since his appearance in 2010 on a TV-Africa-produced reality show, ‘Just Like You’.
The plaintiff stated that the name Daddy Lumba exclusively refers to him within the music industry and that the defendant’s imitation and misrepresentation has affected his reputation, business and goodwill and the brand as a whole.
The case is still in pending in court even though DL Junior (now Anokye Supremo) has sent a delegation of music stakeholders to plead with Daddy Lumba to withdraw the case from court.
The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has revealed that his administration is reviving the strength of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), which, under the Mahama government, was being strangled by debt.
According to President Akufo-Addo, “of the GH¢1.2 billion debt we inherited, the equivalent of $300 million, we have paid, in the last 15 months, GH¢1 billion, the equivalent of $250 million.”
He added that payments to service providers, since his government took office in January 2017, are current.
As a result, “the Scheme is regaining its effectiveness, so that for a minimum amount, subscribers can have access to a wide range of medical services.”
President Akufo-Addo made this known on Saturday, 21st April, 2018, when he delivered the keynote speech at the London School of Economics’ Africa Summit, on the theme “Africa at Work: Educated, Employed, Empowered.”
Addressing a packed gathering, President Akufo-Addo noted that the urgent responsibility confronting the continent is to make African countries attractive for African youth, and for them to see the Continent to see as places of opportunities.
“It means we must provide education, quality education and skills training. It means our young people must acquire the skills that run modern economies,” he said.
The President indicated that with the African Union’s Agenda 2063, titled The Africa We Want, calling for an education and skills revolution to meet the human resource needs for inspiring Africa’s socio-economic development, he noted that the AU has, quite correctly, placed high premium on science, technology and innovation as critical ingredients to the achievement of Agenda 2063.
“The provision of education for our young people should not become an ideological tussle. We should never have to make a choice between basic education or higher education. We should never have to rely on the World Bank or any other institution to decide for us where the emphasis should be in our education needs,” the President said.
Whilst stressing that education is the key to Africa’s development, he noted that African countries must run their economies to be able to fund the education of African children.
“We should not get into arguments with donor agencies about our priorities. We must set our own priorities, and we must accept that we should provide the funds to translate our plans into reality,” he said.
The President continued, “That is why, despite the bleak economic situation my government inherited, we decided to implement immediately the pledge we had made about providing Free Senior High School education. The most dramatic aspect of its implementation has been that 90,000 more students entered senior high school in September last year, the first term of the policy, than in 2016.”
He was confident that “if we stop being beggars, and spend Africa’s monies inside the continent, Africa would not need to ask for respect from anyone. We would get the respect we deserve.”
President Akufo-Addo also revealed further that, in Ghana, whereas the indications are that the economic dividends are on the horizon, there are other areas where the nation is thriving.
The media in Ghana, he said, has come into its own, and what used to be called the culture of silence has been replaced with a cacophony that now worries some.
“I have said it before, and I believe it bears repeating, I would much rather put up with a reckless press than a monotonous, praise-singing one. A democracy has no place for a media that does not keep public authorities on their toes,” he added.
He stressed that “I am a firm believer in a strong and vibrant media, and I have no doubt that it is a force for good, no matter how irritating and how irksome they can be and often are. They provide the avenue for the other point of view.”
In concluding, he indicated that “our success story and changed narrative come with building our economies that are not dependent on charity and handouts. Then we shall put an educated, employed and empowered Africa to work, and repudiate the recent culture of failure. We shall then take our rightful place in the world.”
The regional elections for the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) has taken off in some regions with some postponed and others suspended due to a court injunction.
In the Volta region, a former regional secretary of the party, M. Boateng, who was disqualified alongside three other aspirants by the vetting committee, has placed an injunction on the polls.
He secured an ex-parte motion in which he stated that he was unfairly disqualified from the contest and the court, presided over by Justice Eric Baah granted the injunction on Friday.
The plaintiff in an interlocutory injunction application dated April 16, 2018 stated that the party’s regional and national hierarchy failed to respond to a petition he presented over two weeks ago against his ‘unfair’ disqualification, prompting him to exercise his right through the court.
That of the Northern region has been postponed to next week.
The polls have been rescheduled to April 28, 2018.
The NPP Regional Communications Director, Abdul Latif Issahaque has stated that there were five outstanding constituency elections, hence the postponement.
He further indicated that two out of the five, comprising Daboya/Mankarigu and Bimbila have since been held.
Meanwhile, he has given the assurance that the remaining three constituency elections shall be conducted to pave way for the regional polls.
In the Ashanti region, the current chairman, Bernard Antwi Bosiako, aka chairman Wontumi, is going opposed after his only contender, Mr Robert Asare-Bediako, decided to opt out of the race about two weeks to the election.
Sam Payne, the General Secretary who was facing competition from Mr. Kofi Atta Sarpong, is currently going unopposed after the contender stepped down from competing.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says he has suspended all missile tests and will shut down a nuclear test site.
"From 21 April, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles," the country's state news agency said.
Mr Kim said further tests were unnecessary because Pyongyang's nuclear capabilities had been "verified".
The surprise announcement comes as North Korea prepares for historic talks with South Korea and the US.
Mr Kim is due to meet his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in next week for the first inter-Korean summit in over a decade, and US President Donald Trump by June.
Both countries have been pushing Pyongyang to denuclearise and they reacted positively to the latest development.
"This is very good news for North Korea and the World - big progress!" Mr Trump tweeted after the announcement.
On Thursday, the US leader said there was a "bright path available to North Korea when it achieves denuclearisation".
A spokesperson for the South Korean president called the North's move "meaningful progress".
"It will also contribute to creating a very positive environment for the success of the upcoming South-North summit and North-United States summit," a statement from Mr Moon's office said.
China, North Korea's main ally, also welcomed the move, saying it would "help ameliorate the situation on the peninsula".