NDC Chairman for Brekum West in the Brong Ahafo Region, Martin Owusu, has responded to grapevines from the NPP saying that, the newly elected NPP executives will chalk victory for the NPP in 2020.
The rumours claim that the newly elected NPP executives considering their knowledge and expertise would champion the course of victory for the NPP in 2020.
But responding, the chairman said that, these rumours instead of being a threat has made it very easy for the NDC to win the elections in 2020.
“We have known these executives from time in memorial. They cannot make any impact as far as the 2020 elections are considered. Their posts are empty threats to the NDC. Our pursuits to win elections in 2020 have rather become easier”, he stressed.
All NDC delegates should be rest assured of victory and that the NPP cannot prevent us from winning the 2020 polls, he added.
By: Priscilla Obeng Asantewaa
Hot FM’s presenter, Justice Kweku Annan says he is unperturbed at the petition filed against him at the National Media Commission (NMC) by ace investigative journalist, Anas Aremeyaw Anas.
Speaking to Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, the journalist said he is ready to match Anas boot for boot because he has for far too long entrapped people for his own selfish gains.
Anas Aremeyaw Anas has petitioned the National Media Commission (NMC) to investigate Justice Kweku Annan for denting the image of his Tiger Eye Pi team and that of his mentor, Abdul Malik Kweku Baako Jr.
In the petition, Anas claimed that the attacks by Mr. Justice Annan, aimed at discrediting Tiger Eye Pi’s investigative works, began prior to and after the public broadcast of the team’s expose on the Ghana Football Association, ‘Number 12’.
According to Anas, the absence of any substantial proof in the Hot FM presenter’s accusations necessitated an undercover work into his sudden zeal to destroy the image of Tiger Eye Pi. Anas recounted how a team member who posed as a relative to a man who had been exposed by Anas and Tiger Eye Pi, was told to pay an amount of GHC 35,000 to support the movement to discredit Tiger Eye Pi.
But reacting to the petition, Justice Kweku Annan said, he entered into a contract with Anas Aremeyaw Anas and his Tiger Eye Team to conduct an investigation for them through his [Kweku’s] Hawk Investigation Company- a company that provides consultancy services for state and private owned enterprises.
He described the modus operandi by Anas Aremeyaw Anas as unethical and a slap on the face of investigative journalism.
‘’I have been investigating Anas since 2017 and so nobody should say I started investigating him after the Number 12 was released. It will not make sense for anyone to say Anas bribed me. That is rubbish.’’
He further described Anas as a greedy individual who does not threat his workers well and due that, one Raman has left him because ‘’he always take credit for the any work done by his team. He does not appreciate his other colleagues and always take credit for the work they do.’’
He insisted that the amount of money given him was an amount Anas agreed to pay for an intended documentary he planned to do. However, the Tiger Eye PI Team plotted to use the money as a bait to paint him as a corrupt individual.
‘’This is complete rubbish. I have dared him to bring all the videos they recorded about me. I have dared them. I want them to bring the videos so I will bring my own version. I have also not received any copy of the petition. So today, Anas has petitioned the NMC to investigate me because I said something that has hit so hard
The petition by Anas to NMC said: ‘’ “We posed as a relative to a man who had been exposed by Anas and his team and wanted to see Anas destroyed. We met Mr. Annan on three occasions – twice at Kempinski hotel in Accra and Afrikiko around Flagstaff House area on June 1, June 5 and June 22 respectively. Justice asked us to pay an initial deposit of thirty five thousand cedis to contribute to the project to destroy Anas, Tiger Eye Pi and Mr. Baako and subsequently will come for extra money as the payment advances.’’
The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of Aduana Stars, Mr. Evans Oppong has said that, his outfit will take government to court if they (Aduana Stars) are not able to play their CAF Confederations Cup matches due to the ban on football by government in Ghana.
The Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Dormaa Ahenkro based club was speaking in an interview with Rainbow Radio’s Nhyiraba kwabena Asirifi when he made those pronouncements.
“I do not think it will come to that but if that is the case, then, we will take government to court and seek for compensation because we have not received a pesewa from government as we play in Africa. But we cannot say that the government has not helped us because the peace alone in the country allowing us to play football is a help because in other places, you cannot play football. We thank government for the peace in Ghana that allows people to go about their businesses without any interference but if we are not allowed to participate in the CAF Confederations Cup due to the Anas expose, we will take government to court to seek for a compensation”.
The two times winners of the Ghana Premiere league were playing in the CAF Champions league but were kicked out and are now in the CAF Confederations Cup.
By: Lawrence Mintah Smith
The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has rubbished claims by some leaders and legislators of the National Democratic Congress that the purpose of the National Identification Cards is to disenfranchise some Ghanaians, particularly those from the Volta Region.
According to President Akufo-Addo, residents of the Volta Region, who live close to Togo, are aware of the “Carte nationale d’Identité”, Togo National ID card, and, described as unfortunate Ghana’s inability, for well over 8 years, to have her own National ID card.
To this end, the President noted that Parliament has passed a law, the contents of which are merely being implemented by the National Identification Authority.
“NIA has not refused anything other than what Parliament passed. The legislation that is insisting on passports and birth certificates is not the work of NIA, it is the work of Parliament. It is the law passed by Parliament. So, statements that the NIA is deliberately refusing this or that is unfortunate. It means the person or those who are saying this are not familiar with the legal situation,” the President said.
He continued, “I have no interest in disenfranchising any Ghanaian. The card is meant for Ghanaians, and that is why Parliament, with the full support of both sides of the house, the minority and majority, supported the new law that is being applied by the NIA. So, it is unfortunate that some people are approving and disapproving their own work.”
He noted, therefore, that there is no justification for anyone, let alone Minority MPs, to “come back and then say these particular people are doing this to disenfranchise x, y or z persons. We are not disenfranchising anybody. If you don’t have a birth certificate, passport, all you have to do is to produce a Ghanaian to vouch for you, and you get your card.”
President Akufo-Addo made this known on Monday, 9th July, 2018, when he commissioned the Anlo Shopping Centre, a project completed by the Akufo-Addo Government, at the commencement of his 3-day tour of the Volta Region.
The NIA card, the President stressed, is needed for “our planning and for the organization of our state”, assuring that “by the grace of God, it (the issuance of the NIA cards) will be completed in Akufo-Addo’s time.”
With his government having been in office for 18 months, President Akufo-Addo stated that all the programmes and policies he has implemented has affected and benefitted Ghanaians from every part of the country.
He noted that the first year of the implementation of the Free SHS programme, for example, is ensuring that, for the 2018/2019 academic year, 180,000 more students will be beneficiaries of the Free SHS programme. This, he said, would mean the recruitment of 4,000 more teachers.
“I am determined that every single child in this country, no matter where they are from, no matter whether their father has money or not, will go to school, at least to secondary school level,” he added.
I am commissioning Ghanaian projects
Whilst acknowledging that phase one of the newly commissioned Anlo Shopping Mall was began and completed in the NDC era, President Akufo-Addo noted that phase two of the Anlo shopping centre was started and completed under his administration.
“Togbe, if you remember, when we were campaigning, I said that if, by the grace of God, the Ghanaian people were to give me their confidence, and I was to come in, I will make sure that whatever was started by my predecessor, I will complete it. That is exactly what is happening here today,” he added
The President stressed that “I am not stealing NDC policies, I am completing Ghanaian projects. And, it is the same way that we are going to complete the Keta Sea Defence wall.”
With contractors having abandoned the site for the construction of the sea defence wall, he assured that “active negotiations are going on to pay the contractors so they can come back, and, very soon, you will see that it will start again.”
The same, he said, goes for the Keta Harbour.
“The pledge we made to develop several harbours along the coast, including the Keta Harbour, we will make that a reality,” President Akufo-Addo reassured.
Chairman for the Christian Council of Ghana, Reverend Dr. Seth Senyo Agidi has lamented over the increasing rate of fake pastors in cassock.
The man of God is worried that some fake men of God who are in cassock, are taking advantage of Christians and dumping them instead of preaching salvation to them.
Speaking to Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm Tuesday morning, Reverend Agidi said, ‘’it is true. You can read the news, it is not a secret. Some many people are luring innocent people and taking from them so they can get them visa and they are not preaching the pure gospel of repentance,’’ he added.
According to him, we need men of God who can preach the pure message of repentance and authoritatively preach against evil no matter the circumstances.
‘’They should preach the hard word of God, love and not to preach for money and influence. They should preach the hard word of God on commitment and service to humanity.’’
He believes the freedom of association and religion has also led to the influx of fake pastors and has indicated that, the Christian Council Ghana, the Catholic Bishops and the other recognized bodies are doing their best to call their members to order.
However, the independent church owners are a major challenge that has become difficult to address.
The Ghana National Petroleum Corporation (GNPC) has rubbished the call for a forensic audit into its activities.
The state owned enterprise has also refuted any support for its board chairman who was recently elected as National Chairman at the just ended delegates’ conference.
The Minority in Parliament had demanded an immediate forensic audit of the GNPC accounts following what it called the “vulgar opulence” of its board chairman, Freddie Blay.
They have described as show of opulence by the chairman who purchased some 275 buses for the various constituencies across the country.
But GNPC’s Chief Executive, K. K. Sarpong, in a statement said that GNPC never supported Freddie Blay, adding that the “corporation has a robust financial system that will not allow any official to approve or receive funds to support programmes not set out in its work programme and budget that is approved by Parliament.”
“Our records are there for verification anytime by anyone. We wish to let the public know that GNPC’s financial records are audited by Ernst and Young, one of the “Big Four” international auditing firms, which adheres to very high standards.”
The Minority had said in statement that “We objected to the use or shall we say misuse of US$13.4 million to renovate the GNPC office in Accra, construct a new office also in Accra for US$20 million, build another office in Takoradi for US$10 million, erect a transit quarters for the comfort of GNPC staff in Takoradi for US$ 1.9 million and an amorphous allocation of US$ 100 million for so-called Agric roads.’’
Veteran highlife musician and television personality, Akosua Agyapong has called for proper structures at the Ghana Music Rights Organization (GHAMRO), to make music attractive for the youth.
She bemoaned the challenges musicians have to go through despite the number of years they have invested in their career and professional work.
Speaking on Away Bus on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, the musician said her children have expressed interest in taking her footsteps but till we straighten things up at GHAMRO, we cannot influence the youth to pursue music, she posited.
Akosua Agyapong was worried at the rate at which musicians have to beg before they are able to cater for themselves adding, ‘’musicians are dying poor Some are dying poor. That should not be the case but this is what we are currently seeing in the industry. We only focus on mounting platforms to go and sing at funerals at departed souls but the system that can help make musicians benefit from their work is not in place.''
She took a swipe at the current leaders at GHAMRO nothing that, transparency and accountability has eluded the organization.
She believes musicians are not benefiting from GHAMRO despite the revenues being generated.
‘’GHAMRO should sit up. I will not keep quite over what is going on. I do not speak anyhow but I do so with facts and proof.’’
According to her, celebrated gospel musician, Hannah Marfo who recently appealed for support to pay for the medical bills of her daughter, was only given GHc300 by GHAMRO.
Chairman of GHAMRO, Rex Omar recently threatened to sue the musician.
The decision was based on accusations made by Akosua that the leadership of the organization, GHAMRO, has been embezzling funds and also enriching themselves as a result of poor monitoring and accountability.
According to the 'Abiba' hitmaker, who is part of the leadership, Akosua Agyapong's accusations are far from right and should not be given listening ears.
He further stated that Akosua is only telling lies from one radio to the other and also causing defamation to GHAMRO executives.
However, Akosua Agyapong said she was shocked the suit never came because it only confirmed her long held perception that, accountability and transparency has not been seen under the current leadership of GHAMRO.
GHAMRO is the authorised music collecting management organization (CMO) by the Copyright Act 2005, Act 690 and the Coptright Regulations 2010, L.I. 1962, and approved by the Ministry of Justice and Attorney-Generals' Department to license, collect and distribute royalties accruing to music authors and owners of copyright and related rights. .
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has been petitioned by two Ghanaian citizens, Malik Basintale, a student of the University of Ghana, and Eric Adjei, a student of KAAF University, to investigate and sack Mrs Pauline Adobea Dadzawa, one of the Commissioners of the Electoral Commission for “incompetence” and “misbehaviour”.
The two based their call on the president following a leaked tape which alleged captured the voice of the commissioner alleging that, a former deputy information minister, Felix Kwakye Ofosu pocketed an amount of $6 million out of $12 which was meant for the electoral commissioners.
The petition, dated Monday, 9 July 2018 explained that the leaked tape contains purported comments to the effect that some past presidents including former President John Agyekum Kufour paid monies to staff of the commission to show gratitude after elections.
“….The content of that tape as secretly recorded, indeed, clearly demonstrated true acts of misbehaviour, misconduct, public sector breaches among others that had been going on at the Electoral Commission since 2004 after the appointment of Mrs Pauline Dadzawa by former President John Agyekum Kufour,” portions of the petition read.
The petitioners want the president to an “intense investigation into the authenticity of the leaked tape, compel Mrs Pauline Dadzawa to step aside as member of the Electoral Commission, subject Mrs Pauline Dadzawa to public scrutiny and further strip her of her duties and post if found guilty, as such acts will only undermine the credibility and integrity of the Electoral Commission and such bad precedence may even affect those who may come after if not properly dealt with”.
Meanwhile, Felix Kwakye Ofosu has slapped the commissioner with a defamation suit challenging the allegation.
A Ghanaian citizen, Ohenenana Kofi Owusu Nyarko has described as death trap the road from Tepa to Bomaa in the Brong Ahafo-region.
The poet in an interview with Kwame Tutu on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, called on the president to intervene before the situation gets out of hand.
Speaking on the ‘Voice of the Citizen’ segment on Frontline Monday morning, the Ghanaian citizen indicated that, the death trap is claiming lives and it would be prudent for authorities to intervene.
The poor nature of the road makes it unmotorable and passengers are forced to step out of their vehicles and push them to a point before they are able to continue their journey, he lamented.
He also called on the Member of Parliament for the area, Madam Freda Prempeh to take up the matter.
He said, ‘’good morning Mr President this is the death trap from Tepa to Bomaa because this is not a road but rather a death trap my hometown has become an island of no return I ask questions hanging on a thread of hope . Please Mr President how many lives must we lose before you get our attention?
Hon Freda Prempeh you're aware of this and you've been silent about it, my friends in the media like Zadok Kwame Gyesi and Tutu Faculty and other media houses I'm counting on your help please.’’
Meanwhile, some residents in the area have taken to the use of sand bagged in sacks to fill the pot holes in order to make the road motorable.
Ohenenana Kofi Owusu Nyarko said the road is major one and could help the government generate enough revenue should it be repaired.