Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me
The University of Ghana Medical Centre is set to begin operation on July 18, 2018. The Minister of Health, Mr Kwaku Agyeman-Manu said, the facility will only take referral Out Patient Department (OPD) cases in the short term. He further indicated that specialist services in three departments – Dermatology, Ophthalmology and Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) will come on stream by the end of the year. He also noted that the facility will start off with about 30-40 staff approved by the Ministry of Health. UGMC is a state of the art medical facility ,built to provide medical care to people in Ghana and the West African Sub-region. The University of Ghana Medical Centre(UGMC) as a quaternary level health facility with sub-specialist units in various.
The Auditor-General’s Department and the Office of the Special Prosecutor are collaborating to audit the payroll of the entire public service. The Issue of ghost names has bedevilled the government’s payroll for years, in spite of the frequent cleansing of the payroll through the deletion of thousands of ghost names. The Auditor-General’s Department, the Office of the Special Prosecutor and the Ministry of Finance, through the support of the World Bank, are embarking on this novel exercise. According to the Auditor-General, Mr Daniel Yaw Domelevo, the exercise would commence next week from the Central Region. Addressing a press conference in Accra yesterday, Mr Domelevo urged all heads of departments to cooperate with the audit by providing all documents required for the exercise. “Those not entitled to earn but are earning on the payroll will be handed over to the Special Prosecutor for prosecution. If you think your name has been inserted on the payroll wrongly, you have to run and purge yourself by quickly refunding that money to the government,” he warned. He again warned that heads of departments would be held accountable for ghost names on their payrolls. He, accordingly, urged them to do the needful by cleansing their payrolls and refunding the money wrongfully paid to the government chest if they did not want to be caught in the web. Mr Domelevo warned banks to transfer money paid into suspended salaried accounts into the Consolidated Fund or risk being surcharged. He assured public servants and heads of departments that the exercise was not meant to witch hunt them but geared towards protecting the public purse. Support us He called on the media to support the exercise, saying the initiative was different from the periodic payroll audits that were carried out. He expressed the hope that the exercise would result in the creation of more jobs for people who would be employed and paid through the gains from the payroll audit exercise. Mr Domelevo pleaded with public servants to sacrifice to help the state recover funds that had been lost because there were ghost names on the payroll. He clarified the fact that it was not the Controller and Accountant-General who was responsible for deleting ghost names from the payroll but rather the heads of departments. Martin Amidu Making an input at the press conference, the Special Prosecutor, Mr Martin Amidu, urged departments to notify the Office of the Special Prosecutor before annual audit reports were completed, so that the office could investigate and act. He said his job as the Special Prosecutor was to prevent, investigate, prosecute, recover assets and proceeds of corruption and corruption-related issues, for which reason there was no need for him to wait for complaints before investigating corruption-related issues. He said the public should, therefore, disabuse their mind that his office dealt with only petitions and called for support from the media to nip corruption in the bud. Emotions Mr Amidu told journalists that the Office of the Special Prosecutor would not follow emotions to rush into prosecutions. “We will act professionally, due process will be followed and we will prosecute cases in the national interest,” he said. He gave an assurance that although his office was fairly new, it was acting with the resources available to it. Deputy Auditor-General The Deputy Auditor-General, Mr George Winful, said the payroll audit would begin on July 17 and end on July 27, 2018 to bring a closure to the perennial headache of ghost names. He said the special audit exercise would be launched on July 16, 2018 and called for cooperation from all public sector employees for the successful rollout of the exercise. He said if any public official refused to participate in the exercise, it would mean he or she was a ghost and his or her name would, accordingly, be deleted from the payroll. He explained that such a name so deleted could only be restored on the payroll through a court order. After the exercise had been completed in the Central Region, Mr Winful said, it would be replicated in other regions in due course. Source:Daily Graphic
JH Mensah, a veteran politician has passed on. J.H Mensah, a Gold Coaster born in October 1928 is a founding member of the governing New Patriotic Party and served in three different ministerial positions under the John Agyekum Kufuor administration. He was a former Minority leader and a Majority leader and held his last top government position in 2005 when he was appointed Senior minister by President Kufuor. His working experience dates back to 1953 when he was appointed as an Assistant Inspector of Taxes by the colonial administration. Mr. Mensah served as a member of the African Advisory Council of the African Development Bank (ADB) between 1993 and 1997. In 1996, he contested the Sunyani East seat on the ticket of the New Patriotic Party and won in the Parliamentary elections in December 1996 to become an MP. He retained the seat in the 2000 polls. He was the Minority Leader in Parliament during the Second Parliament of the Fourth Republic.
The Minister for Roads and Highways, Hon. Kwasi Amoako-Atta, has assured the Chiefs and people of the Volta Region that, by the end of the first term of the government of President Akufo-Addo, the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor Road would have been completed. Describing the Eastern Corridor Road as being of great importance, since it is the shortest route between the Southern sector and the Northern sector of the country, and is the linkage between 5 regions, i.e. Greater Accra, Eastern, Ashanti, Volta, and Upper East. Hon. Kwasi Amoako-Atta was speaking at Hohoe, on Tuesday, 10th July, 2018, when he addressed Chiefs from South Dayi, North Dayi, Ho, Ho West, Kpando, Hohoe and Afadjato South, on day 2 of President Akufo-Addo’s 3-day tour of the Volta Region. With seven (7) different contractors having been awarded different contracts on different sections of the road, the Roads Minister noted that the Eastern Corridor road has had a chequered history. He explained that COCOBOD is funding the Have – Hohoe Lots 1&2 (51.3km), and Hohoe – Jasikan (32km) stretches of the road. These sections have run into difficulties, as payments by COCOBOD have been suspended. The section from Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta was funded by an EU loan of a little over 20 million euros, which was worked on by Djibril Kanazoe, the renowned Burkinabe contractor who gifted former President John Dramani Mahama a Ford Expedition vehicle. “As I speak to you now, Togbe, Nananom, that road (Dodo Pepesu to Nkwanta) is in a very terrible, worse condition. The other sections, which are being worked on by other contractors, suffered delayed payments and were abandoned,” Hon. Amoako-Atta said. He, nonetheless, assured that the government of President Akufo-Addo is working very hard to work on the entire Eastern Corridor stretch to make it motorable. “We have, therefore, packaged the areas that have never been done. We have put those areas under a facility called Sinohydro facility, and these areas cover the areas of Have to Hohoe and from Oti-Damanko to Gbinitri (168km). All the others are being repackaged, and arrangements are being made to send all the 6 contractors back to work,” he assured. Hon. Kwasi Amoako-Atta assured the Chiefs and people of the Volta Region that “from now onwards, you are going to see and witness for yourselves, a renewed effort that will be sustained to work on the Eastern Corridor.” He continued, “It is the determination of His Excellency, the President, that by the end of the first term, the entire stretch of the Eastern Corridor will see the light of day, and I want to assure that it is receiving attention of government.” Additionally, the Roads Minister indicated that his Ministry is also working on many of the roads in the Volta Region, with roads in the Hohoe township also receiving particular attention. “I am happy to inform you that, within the Hohoe area, five (5) of your roads have been selected, and within the next 2 months, contractors are mobilising and will come to site. Togbe oo, Mava oo, please be assured that your roads are receiving the attention, just as any other roads in our country,” he added.
Human Rights lawyer, Francis Xavier Sosu says he is overjoyed and very excited following the decision by the Human Rights Division of the Accra High Court to quash the three-year suspension he was slapped with by the General Legal Council (GLC). The lawyer told Rainbow Radio’s Vivian Arthur that his trust in the justice system has increased following the ruling. Mr Sosu was suspended by the GLC on June 1, 2017 after it found him guilty for overcharging a client and also violating the legal profession’s code of conduct that prevents lawyers from advertising their services. He was suspended for three years for each of the offence, which will run concurrently. The GLC also ordered him to avail himself to a senior lawyer who will mentor him for one year. According to the GLC, the lawyer charged a client, known as Francis Agyare, GH¢50,000 as legal fee for a compensation claim of GH¢200,000. The lawyer challenged the suspension by filling a certiorari appliaction at the Human Rights Court for his suspension to be quashed. Delivering his ruling today (Wednesday), the court, presided over by Mrs Justice Gifty Agyei Addo, quashed the suspension on the basis that the GLC exceeded its jurisdiction because the offence and punishment for overcharging a client was not defined. Also the court held that there was no complainant for the charge of advertising and touting leveled against the lawyer. The lawyer who could not hide his excitement expressed gratitude to God, his family, well wishers and the media for the support he received during his suspension. He said, ‘’I am very excited and overjoyed. My trust in the justice system has also increased. There are times you are faced with challenges and you lose faith in your own system, but what I have witnessed today, has increased my faith in the system.’’ Lawyer Sosu said his core focus is to represent people who have been deprived of the rights and the ruling of the court will help him resume that duty.
The Ofankor Magistrate Court has sentenced Wisdom Donaldo, 24 , a gay prostitute to a year imprisonment The 24-year-old man was caught having sex with his four clients at Kasoa in the Central Region, was jailed today [Wednesday] to a year in prison in hard labour. Reports said that passersby caught the suspect, identified only as Lizzy, a hair dresser, having sex with four men on Sunday around 8pm. His clients immediately escaped when the prostitute was about to be lynched. The timely intervention of the Police in the area saved him. Lizzy as he is popularly called was charged with four counts, which he pleaded guilty and was convicted on his own plea. The court was presided over by her lordship Justice Appiah Owusua.
The Member of Parliament for Bunduri and Deputy Ranking Member, Health Committee, Dr. Robert Kuguanab-Lem, has asked government to disburse monies to the various government hospitals so they embark on expansion projects to enable them accommodate more patients. According to him, the no bed syndrome which has led to the death of some Ghanaians, should be treated as an emergency situation. Speaking to the media in parliament, the legislature admonished government not to only concentrate on the NHIS but also see to the ending of no bed syndrome. The situation is not just about Korle-Bu but all other hospitals across the regions face similar problems, he lamented. ‘’What we have to do as a matter of emergency is to give some resources to all hospitals, starting with the teaching hospitals, regional hospitals and district hospitals. For example, what we need to do is to give Korle-Bu $2 million, Komfo Anokye, $ 2 Million and Tamale Teaching Hospital $2 million for them to expand their emergency services. This is a matter we have to do right away so that, they can improve on their facilities right away. We have to do this before we do long term planning to see how we can solve the problem once and for all,’’ he added. He said, there is an explosion of ill health in the country but the facilities are not there.
Ghanaian boxer, Emmanuel ‘The Game Boy’ Tagoe has said that, he was disturbed after the International Boxing Organization (IBO), ordered him to vacate his title a couple of months ago due to non-compliance to certain rules and regulations governing the organization. The Baby Jet promotion fighter known for his antics in the ring made his emotions felt when he was speaking in an interview with Rainbow Radio’s Nhyiraba Kwabena Asirifi. He said, “ if I should be saying the truth in God’s name, it disturbed me and one may ask that why did Emma sat down for this to happen, forfeiting training but my fans know what I can do for Ghana and I am also aware of what I can do for Ghana.’’ Looking at all the world titles I have won, nobody defeated me to take it from me but certain problems came my way and that led to the current challenge I am confronted with. But when I was stripped off the IBO title, it really disturbed me because that is the biggest title I hold or have won in this country. It was the title that motivated me. One thing that always motivates me is that, God gave me the titles so he can let me keep it if he wants but if otherwise I am ok. By: Lawrence Mintah Smith (Intern, Rainbow Radio)
The Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey has indicated that her ministry will continue to provide assistance to Ghanaian migrants whenever they face challenges in their quest to seek greener pastures in Europe. This was made known when the Member of Parliament for Builsa South, Dr. Clement Apaak, asked a question on measures put in place by the ministry to address a report by the International Organisation for Migration that sixty two thousand, four hundred and twenty two (62,422) Ghanaians are stranded in Libya. The Ministry she noted will require additional time to ascertain the veracity of the figure that has been put out by the ILO. And will refer to parliament at a later date with more reliable information of the numbers of Ghanaians in Libya. ‘’On the question on what the ministry is doing to assist stranded Ghanaians, we wish to state that, we are aware of our mandate to protect and to promote the interest and welfare of our compatriots.’’ The Ministry has since April opened a consulate in Tripoli with experienced officers there. Another consulate has also been opened in Miami, Niger which is also a transit country to offer assistance to Ghanaians who require such services. “Mr. Speaker, the ministry is aware that there are some stranded Ghanaians in Libya who contact the consulate in Tripoli for assistance, however, the figure put out by IOM in Accra conflicts with figures provided by IOM in Tripoli. “This, coupled with the highly volatile situation in Libya has made it very difficult to obtain information of the actual number of Ghanaian nationals in that country. This is because Libya today has varse areas of its territory in the hands of rival militia groups operating outside the control of internationally recognised interim governments of national accord,” Mrs. Ayorkor Botchwey told Parliament Wednesday. About 200 Ghanaians have also been repatriated since April 2018 through collaborative efforts between the Ministry and the ILO. ‘’I wish to reiterate that, despite the challenges, the ministry through its missions in Valetta, and the Consulate in Tripoli and Miami are deploying all available resources to offer assistance. If we ascertain the allege huge numbers, and it becomes necessary, government will consider evacuation,’’ she concluded. As of March 2018, 62,422 Ghanaians were identified in different cities and detention centres in Libya, the International Organisation for Migration (IOM) Displacement Tracking Matrix has revealed. That number, it said, ranks Ghanaians in Libya fifth after Egyptian, Nigerien, Chadian and Sudanese nationals out of 38 different nationalities in that country. Since June 2017, a total of 706 (661 men, 45 women) Ghanaians stranded in Libya have been assisted to return home voluntarily with the majority of the returnees, 70 per cent, being returned from various detention centres in Libya, while the rest are from the cities.
  1. Popular
  2. Trending
  3. Comments

Calender

« July 2018 »
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
            1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31