The Ministry of Energy has defended the Energy Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh, saying whatever he told parliament about the dam spillage was the truth.
The ministry claimed that the minister peddled falsehoods about the situation. and how it had been handled was not true.
Dr. Opoku Prempeh, in an address to Parliament, explained that the Volta River Authority (VRA) was forced to spill excess water from the reservoir to prevent it from collapsing.
He also told parliament that enough preparation was put in place before the spillage.
He was widely condemned by the Minority, the Mepe Development Association, and others who described his comments as appalling and unapologetic.
But the Energy Ministry has defended the minister, saying the minister’s comments were based on sound technical advice from the VRA and other experts and that he had not peddled any falsehoods.
Below is the Energy Ministry’s full statement.
The attention of the Ministry of Energy has been drawn to distortions in news publications, on the update in Parliament by the Hon. Energy Minister, Dr. Matthew Opoku Prempeh on the Akosombo and Kpong Dam spillage by the Volta River Authority VRA.
These distortions may be borne either out of a genuine lack of knowledge or deliberate distortions, clearly intended to achieve political and electoral gains, and also to cause disaffection for the Hon. Minister.
The Ministry would like to put on record that, the Minister never peddled falsehoods in Parliament, and provides clarity as follows:
- That, the immutable fact, remains that, the VRA had to spill at the time it did to prevent the catastrophic consequence of the collapse of the dam.
- That, the record will show, that before the spill and in the month of May, 2023, VRA and NADMO conducted a live simulation exercise in Mepe.
- That, the VRA, NADMO, the inter-ministerial committee, CSO’s, NGO’s, FBO’s and indeed well-meaning Ghanaians, have supported and continue to support the communities affected by the spillage.
- That, responsible leaders, including Members of Parliament in partnership with VRA, NADMO and the inter-ministerial committee have also been assisting victims with relief items to be distributed to the affected communities
- These are the key facts contained in the Hon. Minister’s statement on the floor of the house as captured in the Hansard of November 8, 2023.
- On the back of this true account, the Ministry is of the considered view that, some persons are deliberately engaging in a populist agenda by, exploiting the pain of the affected persons on the altar of political expediency.
- The Ministry holds the view that, this move is unnecessary and will only exacerbate the pain of the affected people and also worsen their plight. The Minister nor his assigns do not intend to engage in a banter with any person or group of persons, because in the Minister’s view, what is really important, is the alleviation of the plight and ‘back to normal life’ of the people
- We urge the good citizens of Ghana to continue to support government roll-out its coordinated response to this matter, together with the VRA, NADMO and the inter- ministerial committee
- The Energy Minister reiterates his sympathies to the affected areas and thus, we ask the general public to treat these twisted narratives with the utmost contempt they deserve