Thursday, May 21, 2026
Rainbow Radio
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
Rainbow Radio Online
Home World

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

May 21, 2026
21dfe660-54ed-11f1-89a3-d1f559421220.jpg

DR Congo have qualified for the Fifa World Cup for the first time since 1974

The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.

The virus is thought to have killed more than 130, including a person whose case was confirmed on Thursday in the South Kivu province, signalling the spread of the virus from the outbreak’s epicentre.

RelatedPosts

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

Nigeria arrests former minister in hiding after corruption conviction

Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns

The World Health Organization (WHO) has called the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.

A spokesperson for DR Congo’s football team told reporters that the training camp, part of the preparations for the team’s first World Cup since 1974, would now take place in Belgium.

Jerry Kalemo added that DR Congo’s pre-tournament games in Europe would go ahead as planned.

The Leopards are due to play friendly matches against Denmark, on 3 June in Belgium, and Chile, on 9 June in Spain, ahead of the World Cup finals.

They play their first match of the tournament in the US city of Houston on 17 June against Portugal.

“Originally scheduled to take place in the capital on May 26, the Leopards’ public training session will not be held after all. This decision follows reports of suspected Ebola cases in the provinces of North Kivu and Ituri,” a message posted by the team on social media said.

There is also uncertainty over whether the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, will go ahead with a press conference scheduled to take place in the capital city, the statement added.

A spokesperson for the DR Congo team told the Reuters news agency that the training camp had been cancelled due to travel restrictions imposed by the US, who are hosting the World Cup this summer, along with Mexico and Canada.

The US’s public health agency has banned entry from non-Americans who have been in the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, in response to the Ebola outbreak.

All DR Congo’s players are based outside the central African country and will therefore not be affected by the restrictions now the training camp has been cancelled.

Some team staff based in DR Congo left the country on Wednesday, Kalemo told the Associated Press, ahead of the 21-day deadline.

However, some fans and journalists, who applied for US visas via the Congolese ministry of sport, are concerned because the US embassy in DR Congo has paused its visa services in light of the Ebola outbreak.

A sports reporter from the national broadcaster questioned why they should be stopped from attending the World Cup when there have not yet been any reported Ebola cases where they are based, in Kinshasa.

Kinshasa is roughly 1,800km (1,120 miles) away from the eastern Ituri province, the epicentre of the outbreak.

“Why should the whole country be banned?” the journalist asked.

Michel Nkuka Mbolandinga, a supporter who has gained prominence for impersonating former Prime Minister Patrice Lumumba, told the BBC: “I am confident that I will be travelling, but I don’t know how far the ministry is with the applications.”

The training camp in Kinshasa was supposed to have been attended by fans, along with President Félix Tshisekedi, according to the Reuters news agency.

On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people were thought to have died, out of 600 suspected cases. However, on the same day, Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.

On Thursday, the M23 – a rebel group that controls parts of eastern DR Congo – said it had confirmed the first case of Ebola in the South Kivu province, which is hundreds of kilometres away from Ituri.

The 28-year-old, who had travelled from Kisangani, died before the diagnosis was confirmed, according to a rebel statement.

Kisangani is a large city in north-central Tshopo province where no Ebola infections have currently been recorded.

There are growing concerns about access to areas under M23 control.

The group has never managed a crisis like Ebola but it has said it will work with international partners to contain the virus.

The outbreak has been caused by a rare species of Ebola known as Bundibugyo. There is currently no vaccine for this species and the WHO has said it could take up to nine months for a jab to be ready.

Source: BBC

ShareTweetShareShare

Related Posts

e216d3b0-5436-11f1-97ae-1b4b9bb4c9eb.jpg (1)

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

May 21, 2026
048eed20-5418-11f1-8e76-013556ab836b.jpg

Nigeria arrests former minister in hiding after corruption conviction

May 20, 2026
9b03db00-537b-11f1-a9c1-691d150de147.jpg (1)

Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns

May 20, 2026
fff74570-52cb-11f1-b4b8-8bc40cabb834.jpg

At least 131 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says

May 19, 2026
9d886d70-5293-11f1-8a13-e989d3b4b6c8.jpg

At least six Americans exposed to Ebola during DR Congo outbreak

May 18, 2026
12a521d0-504a-11f1-a712-bdb9a88fa140.jpg (1)

UK backs human rights plan to accelerate illegal migration removals

May 15, 2026

Recent News

12514

Veep rallies UNICEF support for inclusive education and child welfare

May 21, 2026
21dfe660-54ed-11f1-89a3-d1f559421220.jpg

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

May 21, 2026
Bagbin-Speaker-of-Parliament

Parliament Collaborating with Government Following Arrest of MP in Amsterdam – Speaker

May 21, 2026
Mahama-Ayariga

Majority Leader Commends Ghanaian MPs on Appointment to Key Pan-African Parliament Positions

May 21, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Muntaka-750x375

Monday, March 31, and Tuesday, April 1, 2025, declared as public holidays

March 23, 2025
Screenshot_20230811-133044

17-year-old boy caught having sex with a pregnant dog

August 11, 2023

Something drastic must be done about prices of property in Ghana-Lawyer

June 14, 2021

Rainbow Radio expands its platform presence on 92.4Fm in UK

September 5, 2022

Hello world!

12514

Veep rallies UNICEF support for inclusive education and child welfare

travel4

Washington prepares for Donald Trump’s big moment

travel1

CS:GO ELeague Major pools and tournament schedule announced

12514

Veep rallies UNICEF support for inclusive education and child welfare

May 21, 2026
21dfe660-54ed-11f1-89a3-d1f559421220.jpg

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

May 21, 2026
Bagbin-Speaker-of-Parliament

Parliament Collaborating with Government Following Arrest of MP in Amsterdam – Speaker

May 21, 2026
Mahama-Ayariga

Majority Leader Commends Ghanaian MPs on Appointment to Key Pan-African Parliament Positions

May 21, 2026

Stay Connected test

  • 137 Followers
  • 20.2k Followers
  • 206k Subscribers
  • 23.9k Followers
  • 99 Subscribers
Rainbow Radio Online

© 2022 Rainbow Radio International

Navigate Site

  • General News
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Economy
  • Odd News
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Governance
  • Technology

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result

© 2022 Rainbow Radio International

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Go to mobile version