Friday, May 22, 2026
Rainbow Radio
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
Rainbow Radio Online
Home World

Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo

May 22, 2026
d6df4d30-554c-11f1-89a3-d1f559421220.jpg

The unrest highlights the struggle authorities face as cases of the virus rise

An angry crowd set alight a section of a hospital at the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after family and friends of a young man thought to have died from the virus were prevented from taking his body away for burial.

“They started throwing projectiles at the hospital. They even set fire to tents that were being used as isolation wards,” local politician Luc Malembe Malembe told the BBC about the scene he witnessed at Rwampara General Hospital.

RelatedPosts

Dozens of vehicles burnt as Mali jihadists enforce blockade ahead of Eid holiday

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

In the chaos, police fired warning shots to disperse the crowd.

The body of a dead Ebola victim is highly infectious and the authorities need to ensure safe burial to stop the spread of the virus.

Medical workers at the Rwampara hospital, located near the city of Bunia in Ituri province, where almost all of the cases have been reported, were placed under military protection as the police moved in to restore order.

A healthcare worker was injured by stone-throwing protesters before law enforcement agents intervened, a hospital worker told the AFP news agency.

The man who died was a popular figure in the local community and those upset by his death did not “grasp the reality of the disease,” Jean Claude Mukendi, who is co-ordinating the security response to Ebola in Ituri, told the Associated Press.

Witnesses told Reuters the young man was a footballer who had played with several local teams. His mother told the news agency she believed her son had died of typhoid fever, not Ebola.

Malembe said the crowd did not believe the virus, which has so far killed more than 130 in eastern DR Congo, was real.

“People are not properly informed or sensitised about what is happening. For a certain segment of the population, especially in remote areas, Ebola is an invention by outsiders – it does not exist,” the politician said.

“They believe it is the NGOs and hospitals creating this to make money, and this is tragic.”

He said two tents had been burned down, along with a body that had been due to be buried.

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends “safe and dignified burials” for Ebola victims, with trained teams using protective equipment to handle bodies.

Six patients had been receiving treatment in the tents on the grounds of the hospital – and it was reported they may have fled in the mayhem.

But according to the medical charity Alima, which reportedly ran the tents, they are all accounted for and “are currently being cared for at the hospital”.

Medical staff were placed under military protection

The unrest came as it was announced that DR Congo’s national football team had cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of the outbreak.

The WHO has called it a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.

On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people in DR Congo were thought to have died from Ebola, out of 600 suspected cases.

However, on the same day, Congolese Health Minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.

Two cases of the virus have been detected in DR Congo’s neighbour, Uganda.

The authorities there have temporarily suspended flights, buses and all other public transport crossing the border as a result of the outbreak. Passenger ferries are also not permitted on the Semliki River, which forms part of the border between DR Congo and Uganda.

The outbreak has been caused by a rare species of Ebola known as Bundibugyo. There is currently no vaccine for this species and the WHO has said it could take up to nine months for a jab to be ready.

On Thursday, the M23 – a rebel group that controls parts of eastern DR Congo – said it had confirmed the first case of Ebola in the South Kivu province, which is hundreds of kilometres away from the epicentre in Ituri.

The 28-year-old, who had travelled from Kisangani, died before the diagnosis was confirmed, according to a rebel statement.

Kisangani is a large city in north-central Tshopo province where no Ebola infections have currently been recorded.

There are growing concerns about access to areas under M23 control.

The group has never managed a crisis like Ebola, but has said it will work with international partners to contain the virus.

Source: BBC

ShareTweetShareShare

Related Posts

eb649490-552e-11f1-9e1e-29cb974f260a.png

Dozens of vehicles burnt as Mali jihadists enforce blockade ahead of Eid holiday

May 22, 2026
21dfe660-54ed-11f1-89a3-d1f559421220.jpg

DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak

May 21, 2026
e216d3b0-5436-11f1-97ae-1b4b9bb4c9eb.jpg (1)

Ebola vaccine could take nine months as death toll rises further, WHO warns

May 21, 2026
048eed20-5418-11f1-8e76-013556ab836b.jpg

Nigeria arrests former minister in hiding after corruption conviction

May 20, 2026
9b03db00-537b-11f1-a9c1-691d150de147.jpg (1)

Ebola outbreak may be spreading faster than first thought, WHO doctor warns

May 20, 2026
fff74570-52cb-11f1-b4b8-8bc40cabb834.jpg

At least 131 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says

May 19, 2026

Recent News

12604

OGP Week: Minister Demands Urgent Transparency Reforms in Parliament

May 22, 2026
12587

Five Arrested Over Contract Killing of Abamba Queen Mother

May 22, 2026
12615

Deputy Transport Minister Urges MMTL to Self-Fund Future Bus Acquisitions

May 22, 2026
bonsu

Politicians Who Steal From the State Are Nation Wreckers and Must Face Justice Without Mercy – Forum to AG

May 22, 2026
  • Trending
  • Comments
  • Latest
Muntaka-750x375

Monday, March 31, and Tuesday, April 1, 2025, declared as public holidays

March 23, 2025
Screenshot_20230811-133044

17-year-old boy caught having sex with a pregnant dog

August 11, 2023

Something drastic must be done about prices of property in Ghana-Lawyer

June 14, 2021

Rainbow Radio expands its platform presence on 92.4Fm in UK

September 5, 2022

Hello world!

12604

OGP Week: Minister Demands Urgent Transparency Reforms in Parliament

travel4

Washington prepares for Donald Trump’s big moment

travel1

CS:GO ELeague Major pools and tournament schedule announced

12604

OGP Week: Minister Demands Urgent Transparency Reforms in Parliament

May 22, 2026
12587

Five Arrested Over Contract Killing of Abamba Queen Mother

May 22, 2026
12615

Deputy Transport Minister Urges MMTL to Self-Fund Future Bus Acquisitions

May 22, 2026
bonsu

Politicians Who Steal From the State Are Nation Wreckers and Must Face Justice Without Mercy – Forum to AG

May 22, 2026

Stay Connected test

  • 137 Followers
  • 20.2k Followers
  • 206k Subscribers
  • 23.9k Followers
  • 99 Subscribers
Rainbow Radio Online

© 2022 Rainbow Radio International

Navigate Site

  • General News
  • World
  • Sports
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Opinion
  • Economy
  • Odd News
  • Culture
  • Lifestyle
  • Lifestyle
  • Governance
  • Technology

Follow Us

No Result
View All Result

© 2022 Rainbow Radio International

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Go to mobile version