The National Organizer of the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), Sammy Awuku has declared his unflinching support for Joshua Akamba for the National Organizer position of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC).
Mr Awuku says he is rooting for Mr. Akamba because he believes he will make his work easier in the 2020 general elections and win the race hands down.
In his view, Akamba is the best person for the National Organiser position.
He was also optimistic the opposition NDC will lose the 2020 and with Mr Akamba as National Organizer, the NPP will find it much easier to win the 2020 polls.
"I don’t wish NDC success but I wish them luck because no matter what, NPP is always creative whether in power or opposition", he said.
He admonished delegates to vote massively for Mr Akamba on Saturday November 17, 2018 at their 9th National Delegates Congress to be held at the Trade Fair Centre, Accra.
Actress and movie producer, Nayas 1 has apologized to Apostle John Prah over a movie hype that went wrong.
Nayas took to her Instagram page two days ago and posted some marriage photos of herself and Apostle John Prah with a caption clearly stating that she is married to the Apostle.
She as lambasted by social media users but reacting to the issue on Away Bus Show on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm today [Friday], the actress she was only hyping a latest movie she starred in alongside the man of God.
Interviewed by host Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr Handsome, the actress cum producer said she had no eveil intention in doing what she did because it was to promote the movie.
After the picture went viral, wife of John Prah came out to state that the marriage thing was fake and Nayas shouldn’t be taken seriously.
She wrote; “Cheap popularity is bad. I am the wife, I can’t share my husband pls. This why I married a true man of God. Our love ones outside are really hurt by this”
The man of God also came out with a video and rubbished Nayas’ claims asking her to go and find her husband because he [Apostle Prah] has no idea of any marriage between them.
Nayas told the host wife the Apostle later called and she apologized and explained to her she was only doing so to promote their latest movie, which was produced by Miracle Films.
Controversial actress, Nayas 1 has said she is still having a good relationship with gospel musician Ernest Opoku.
According to the actress, although they are not dating, they remain good friends and called him on phone last month.
In an exclusive interview with Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr Handsome on the Away Bus Show on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm, she said, ‘’we are not enemies. The fact that we are no longer dating does not mean we are enemies. We are not enemies. We are best friends. I even spoke with him on phone last month,’’ she added.
Nayas 1 when asked if she had also dated Brother Sammy another gospel musician, she denied and said ‘’it cannot be possible for me to date Brother Sammy. I have never dated brother Sammy. It is not possible for me to date him and I will never date him,’’ she said.
Nayas 1 in May this year made headlines after she stormed the studios of Adom FM to lash the gospel musician over a relationship that went bad between the two.
A furious Nayas, who is a producer and actress, stormed the station with a hidden cane, and attacked the gospel musician.
Ernest Opoku had admitted in a previous interview of making a mistake by having an affair with the actress which resulted in a pregnancy.
The musician is reported to have pleaded with pastors and the general public to pray for him so he will not yield to temptations. He, in fact, blamed the devil, for the affair.
The Deputy Minister of Communications George Andah has written a piece4 to thank everyone for the support he has received since his accident on November 3, 2018.
The Deputy Minister who has been discharged from the 37 Military Hospital after spending 13 days, he said Last but not least, I call on all partners in change to join us in giving thanks to the Almighty for the grace and mercy he has shown us. Great indeed is His faithfulness. We thank the Lord for having saved and given us yet another chance to experience His goodness.
Let us remember in our time of thanksgiving, to also commit to prayer, all other vehicular victims and their families.
Read Below his full statement:
Dear Partners in Change,
It is by Grace and Blessings that I am writing to inform you of my discharge from the 37 Military Hospital, and taking the next steps closer to a clean bill of health.
Yesterday was a multiple portion of blessings for me.
As I listened to the Hon. Minister of Finance Ken Ofori Atta from my hospital bed, delivering the 2019 budget statement, which is set to grow the economy and improve our livelihood. I was excited amongst others to hear the confirmation that that Swedru - Bawjiase - Adeiso road had been picked for completion this coming year. As if that wasn’t enough, the doctors walked in surprisingly announcing my discharge.
To my team who were involved in the accident, my prayers continue to be with each of you as you also continue your journey of recovery. May God be with and strengthen you.
To the medical staff at the St. Gregory medical facility, I offer overwhelming appreciation for the passion with which your duty was delivered. You took the first few hours to stabilize us, and put hope into the situation and I can't be more grateful.
To the Emergency Medical Response team, my team and I are immensely thankful for your life saving efforts.
To the medical team of the 37 Military Hospital, who ensured the team and I received the best medical care possible. Your professionalism, expertise and attentiveness were exemplary and most appreciated. I pray that for every drop we have received from you, the Lord offers you a fountain.
To the local communities, all constituents of Awutu Senya West, Constituency Executives, my DCE, I am grateful.
To H.E the President, H.E the Vice President, Right Hon. Speaker, my Boss Hon Ursula Owusu-Ekuful, MoC and Agency colleagues, the government team, colleague Parliamentarians, all well-wishers who gathered to give their love, solidarity and support and to all those who went above the normal call of duty to organize medical assistance, I say thank you and God bless you.
To my Andah, Hagan, Barning family, my personal friends, OAA 87, what can I say? You took charge, sacrificed and made me whole again.
To Archbishop Palmer-Buckle, all the Catholic Priests and Pastors from various denominations, who held vigils, prayer services, the countless goodwill messages and positive thoughts, I pray that the same courtesy be extended to all who find themselves in the position I found myself, as this will increase hope and confidence in humanity.
To the National Chief Imam and all Imams who tarried for us during Jumat, we say shukraan jazilaan.
To everyone else that I may not have referenced personally you are recognized and appreciated.
Last but not least, I call on all partners in change to join us in giving thanks to the Almighty for the grace and mercy he has shown us. Great indeed is His faithfulness. We thank the Lord for having saved and given us yet another chance to experience His goodness.
Let us remember in our time of thanksgiving, to also commit to prayer, all other vehicular victims and their families.
Thank you all and God bless.
- Nenyi George Andah
The incumbent General Secretary of National Democratic Congress (NDC), Johnson Aseidu Nketiah, has stated that, the ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP) sees him as a stumbling block on their way hence their plot to get him ousted.
Speaking to Rainbow Radio’s Kwabena Amoateng in Kumasi today, the NDC scribe who is seeking re-election said, the NPP is using some persons in the NDC to get him out so they can easily control the umbrella family.
He was optimistic the delegates will retain him come tomorrow [Saturday] November 17, 2018.
He said, ‘’the NPP is interested in our race because they see me as a threat. I am not surprised because I am a threat to the NPP. They see me as a threat and that is why they are using some NDC persons to see me out.’’
‘’I know there are NDC members who are being paid by the NPP to ensure that I am not elected as general secretary. I am not bothered at all because their plans will not work.’’
The NDC is holding it's national delegates congress this Saturday at the Trade Fair to elect their leaders towards the upcoming 2020 elections.
Over 9,000 delegates are expected to vote on Saturday.
Sixty-five (65) candidates including only 6 females and 59 males are contesting for various positions.
The party has also changed its voting pattern where one form is used to vote for several positions for different candidates. Each vote will be exclusive to a candidate.
The Minority in Parliament today [Friday] staged a walk-out in protest against the government's refusal to publish the report of the Justice Brobbey Commission of Inquiry into the creation of proposed regions.
Rainbow Radio’s Parliamentary correspondent, Afia Kwarteng in her report said the Minority Leader Mr Haruna Iddrisu, said they wanted to see the report to know the recommendations of the Commission regarding the names proposed for the new regions and those entitled to vote in the referendum.
The Minority is saying that the report would help them to make a meaningful contribution to the report of the Committee on Subsidiary Legislation on the LI for the creation of the new regions, which was being considered in the House, she added.
Aspiring National Organizer in the November 17, 2018 delegates’ congress of the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Madam Anita De-Soso, has called on delegates to vote for competent, loyal and hard working persons instead of aspirants using money to influence them.
The female politician who is competing against 6 other men said, the party would need dedicated leaders to help it win the 2020 national polls.
Madam Anita De-Soso told Nyankonton Mu Nsem on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that although she is a woman, she is courageous, fearless and competent.
‘’I am not just an ordinary woman but a courageous woman who is dedicated, committed, competent and with a solid track record. I want to admonish delegates to vote for me because I am going to ensure that the party wins the 2020 polls.
She also advised delegates to desist from accepting gifts from people in an attempt to get incompetent people elected.
The ruling New Patriotic Party (NPP), she noted has expressed interest in influencing the election of the NDC and has therefore called on party delegates, not to allow themselves to be bought with money.
‘’It has been alleged that national security has been seen loading cash into vehicles which they are going to use to influence the NDC polls. Chairman Wontumi has also promised to influence the NDC polls. But I want to appeal to delegates to reject all those trying to buy their votes and vote for Madam Anita De-Soso who is number 5 on the ballot paper.’’
Over 9,000 delegates are expected to elect new national leaders at the Trade Fair Centre in Accra tomorrow [Saturday]. Sixty-five (65) aspirants are vying for various positions with only 6 females and 59 males.
Three hundred (300) police officers have been deployed to maintain law and order at the congress.
Private legal practitioner, Isaac Eshun, the lawyer representing a Yemen resident in Ghana Ould Mohamed Mahamoud, who allegedly defiled a 14-year-old girl in Accra has rubbished the allegations against his client.
Reacting to claims made by the lawyer for the 14-year-old victim, he told Kwame Tutu on Frontline 87.5Fm that, the issues being peddled against his client are false.
The Counsel for the victim and the family, Justice Abdulai Esq of Crown Legal Bureau in a petition to the Director-General of the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police, DCOP Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah, said the family has provided every information and cooperation to the police to enable them to carry out the prosecution, yet the CID is delaying the prosecution without any reason. The petition which was addressed to the Director-General of the CID on November 4, 2018, explained that “the family of our client (name withheld) informed us that sometime in December 2017, the victim was defiled by Ould Mohamed Mahamoud, 54, in West Legon in Accra”. “The issue was reported to the Kwabenya Police Station where a medical form was issued to attend a government hospital for examination”, Lawyer Abdulai Esq explained. He added that “on the day of the event, the victim was said to have returned from school and was lured by the suspect Ould Mohamed Mahamoud into a hideout where he drugged her and forcibly had sex with her without her consent or participation”.
But lawyer Eshun says he was scandalized at the claims by his learned colleague.
He further disclosed that the victim alleged to have been defiled by his client is now married to a husband and the two are staying in Yemen but not seeking medical care as suggested by her family.
Investigation conducted by the police established beyond reasonable doubt that, my client was not culpable for the allegations levelled against him, he said.
He also disputed claims that his client has jumped bail as alleged by the victim’s lawyer.
‘’Our client is not guilty and we are prepared to provide the needed evidence to fight our case. As we speak, the victim alleged to have been defiled is married.’’
‘’We are prepared for any prosecution. We are confident that our client is clean and not guilty. Our client never defiled the victim as alleged. He is not guilty and we are prepared to go to any court. We are not scared.''
Lawyer Eshun told the host the accused and the victim are relatives and had a great relationship together but he never abused her sexually.
‘’They have accused my client falsely. They are going about accusing him without any evidence. The victim is married; the marriage ceremony was held in Ghana and currently staying in Yemen with her husband. I have the video and I will soon give you a copy.’’
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Intersex (LGBTI) Community in Ghana have called for respect from all persons, institutions including the media.
The LGBTI Community says they are not seeking for any special rights but respect from Ghanaians especially the media.
This came to light at a dialogue organised by Human Rights and Health organization CEPEHRG few days ago.
The organization held the dialogue between a group of journalists from selected media houses and members of the LGBTI community on the 13th November 2018.
Human Rights Advocates and Allies of the LGBTI community also attended the dialogue meeting. The aim of the dialogue meeting was to create a positive rapport between the media and the LGBTI community and also discuss human rights, media regulators and the role of the media.
Participants raised concerns over how campaigners, advocates and allies of the LGBTI community are tagged in a bad light.
According to the participants, the tag is not only unhealthy but frowns on the fundamental rights of these persons since their core aim is to fight for the rights of the marginalised in society.
‘’…Media persons and the public tend to tag advocates as LGBTI persons, which is not as perceived. It is the passion for human rights that drives these advocates to work for the respect of human dignity and not their sexual orientation.’’
The media persons present shared how they find it difficult to get LGBTI community for any kind of dialogue where they can present facts rather than misconceptions. This according to the LGBTI community is due to the fact that there are a lot of homophobic attacks, slander, stigmatization and discrimination facilitated by some Journalist and thus leading to the LGBTI community being guarded and not availing themselves to the media.
Another challenge raised at the meeting was the fact that although the media serves as a tool for information and education, most of the information that the media gives out on LGBTI’s is negative, over sensationalised, mostly slander and scandals, which is discriminatory, and the public picks up these negative perceptions, which often results in physical and verbal attacks on LGBTI community members.’’
Referring to the code of ethics of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA) (Article 6), the LBTI Community reminded journalists to desist from telling negative stories that will make people discriminate against others based on their sexual orientation, religion, gender or colour.
The article of the GJA states that “a journalist should not originate material which encourages discrimination on the grounds of ethnicity, colour, creed, gender or sexual orientation.” But Some media houses ignore this ethic code and discriminate based on sexual orientation. Fabrications are added to LGBTI stories mostly unlike other stories. LGBTI persons are often portrayed by some journalist as paedophiles, which is totally unacceptable. Whereas Paedophiles take sexual advantage of children, members of the LGBTI community rather show affection towards consenting adults. This behaviour of some journalists, including the GJA president’s assertion that “homosexuality is morally repugnant, culturally offensive and legally unacceptable, and that this should be reflected in journalism”, makes it clear that they do not adhere to their own code of ethics,’’ a statement from the LGBTI Community read.
At the end of the dialogue, the LGBTI community made it clear that they are not seeking for any “special rights”, but all they need is RESPECT from all persons and institutions including the media fraternity. Advocates and Allies also recommended and urged the media to take their code of ethics seriously and avoid discrimination. The media should be professional and not incite the public against sexual minorities.
‘’The media and public are entitled to their opinions, but they should not make it their duty to judge and infringe on the human rights of the LGBTI community. The media should also do well to report facts and not myths and misconceptions about the LGBTI community,’’ the statement concluded.