Chairman for the Parliamentary Select Committee on Youth and Sports, Mr Alex Agyekum, has cautioned contractors working on the Accra and Cape Coast Sports Stadiums to avoid doing a shoddy work.
According to him, although we need the stadiums for the 2018 African Women’s Cup, the contractors should not rush in doing a shoddy work that will later deteriorate in weeks after the tournament.
Speaking in an exclusive interview with Rainbow Radio Sports, the legislator admonished the contractors be diligent, professional and do a good job to ensure value for money.
He said, although we need the stadiums for the competition, it should no9t be an excuse for a shoddy work to be done.
Renovation works at the Accra sports stadium ahead of 2018 Africa Women Cup of Nations was scheduled to be completed by the end of the month of October.
But renovation works are still on going at the various sports facilities.
The Accra stadium and Cape Coast stadium will be used for the AWCON, which starts on November 17 to December 1.
The contracting firm, Coupbay Ghana Limited, is expected to replace the damaged seats in the stands, re-make the frame holding the scoreboard, re-roof the VIP lounge and also paint the rusty parts of the stadium.
Commenting on the work done so far, the Chairman commended gover5nemnt for allocating the needed resources for the renovation works but emphasised the need for the contractors to do a professional job.
‘’It is true we need the stadiums for the championship but the contractors should do a professional job. We are appealing to them to do a professional job. They should not do something that will only last for few weeks and make the state waste money.’’
Ghanaian musician, songwriter, creative director and entrepreneur, Kwame Nsiah-Apau, known by his stage name Okyeame Kwame and nicknamed Rap Doctor, says the reason why Ghana music is not making an impact on the global market is because our production is not original.
The musician, in an exclusive interview with Prince Kwesi Dadzie aka Mr Handsome on the Away Bus Show on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm said, Ghana has a minimal market globally due to poor marketing, branding and originality.
The Rap Doctor who is currently on a made in Ghana campaign tour with his latest ‘Made In Ghana’ hit track underscored the need for musicians in Ghana to invest heavily in marketing, branding and originality to break through the global market.
He also underscored the need for professionals to manage musicians to ensure that the music business is transformed.
’'There are two main reasons why Ghana music is not making waves globally. We have not played our songs competitively enough and so when it gets to the world market, they don’t know where to place it. Selling songs involves two things and they are the culture and the sound but our product is not Ghanaian enough. Marketing, branding and financing are also major challenges confronting the market.’’
He called for capacity building, support from the state where young musicians would be trained and given the needed skills to help sell the brand Ghana to the world market.
In his view, only few professionals are managing musicians in Ghana with majority of unprofessionals managing musicians.
Okyeame Kwame when asked the kind of genre Ghana is doing said, highlife in Ghana has gone through difficult times but there a few including Kwame Eugene, Kidi and others keeping the faith alive.
He was however quick to add that the new brand of highlife musicians are using studio beats for highlife and are building on nothing hence, the need for them to be trained.He disclosed on the show that, original music with live recording would cost not less than GHc10,000.
The Dental and Medical Council has led the Tesano police to arrest one Dr. Allotey Addo operating Asamoa Clinic at Abelemkpe within the capital city of Accra.
He is accused of practicing illegally.
Established in the year 1982, Dr. Addo claim he took over the management of the facility in 2016 on lease.
According to him, he graduated from the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) in the year 2004 and has been working mostly with the National Health Insurance.
Claimed to have medical background, the accused practitioner said he took over full management of the facility rather than offering medical services at Asamoa Clinic hence; there are hired qualified practitioners who work at the clinic.
Dr. Divine Banyubala, deputy registrar of the Medical and Dental Council briefing the press said the council had a tip-off of Dr. Addo's activities and deployed its investigative personnel to conduct a search on the orders of the registrar, Dr. Eli Kwasi Atikpi from 1st November, 2018.
A member of the investigative team presented himself as a patient and was attended to, by the suspect working in the capacity of a medical doctor.
In its checks, the council could not trace any name related to suspect and the facility in its list.
An ambulance was immediately arranged to convey a lady on admission during the period of investigation to the Greater Accra Regional Hospital for further and better care for her.
On lodging official complain with the Tesano Police, the suspect together with a nurse was arrested on 7th November but the nurse was granted police enquiry bail.
Superintendent George Atia is the Tesano District Police Commander who led the arrest operation confirmed the medical regulation council in the country following which they stormed the facility to effect arrest made a formal complaint. Superintendent Atia noted the clinic had been under the care of one Cornell Rtd. Asamoa formerly of the 37 Military Hospital until it was taken over by the suspect, Allotey Addo.
The suspect is said to have presented two certificates permitting him to work in the capacity of a medical administrator, one from the KNUST where he claimed to have received training and the other from the medical council.
Both document are with the police as investigations proceed.
President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo has expressed his deep condolences to the family of the student who was knocked down by a taxi, as she attempted crossing the road on her way to school on the Adenta Highway.
The president in a statement said the nation has suffered an unnecessary loss.
He also described as regrettable the demonstration and burning of lorry tyres by angry residents who have several times called on authorities to complete the uncompleted footbridges on the Highway.
The statement read: “ I express my deep condolences to the family of the student who lost her life yesterday at Adenta, after being knocked down by a taxi, as she attempted crossing the road on her way from school. Our nation has suffered an unnecessary loss. The scenes that played out in its aftermath are regrettable, and should not happen again.
The Ministry of Roads and Highways is ensuring that work begins on completion of these bridges in the course of the coming week, and has put together a comprehensive plan to address systematically all these infrastructural problems, which are legacies of a past decade of neglect.
I would urge drivers and pedestrians to obey and respect the laws on our roads. All of us, Government and the citizenry, have a collective responsibility to safeguard and preserve life. My condolences, once again, to the family.”
The Mayor of Accra,Mohammed Adjei Sowah as parts of his continuous engagement with traders in the city, has embarked on a working visit to some markets within the Osu Klottey Sub Metro. The visit on Thursday, took the Mayor to the Circle Pedestrian Shopping Mall and Odorna Market among others. He also inspected ongoing projects within the Odorna Market as well as the construction of a storm drain which is expected to curb the flooding challenge of the market anytime it rains. At the Circle Pedestrian Shopping Mall, the Mayor was taking on a tour of the market by its leaders to see how some traders had abandoned their stalls and warned that they risked losing their stalls if they don't return to occupy them. Mr. Sowah expressed his displeasure at some individuals who had illegally taken over some spaces in the market and have converted them into toilet and bathing facilities which prevented the exiting of rain water anytime it rains. In view of this, he directed the removal of the facilities since there was an existing facility provided in the market for that purpose. The team also used the occasion to clear advertorials such as banners, posters which have been splashed at the King Tackie Tawiah Overpass section of the Independence Avenue road.
The Mayor of Accra, Mohammed Adjei Sowah has directed the removal of some structures at the Pedestrian Shopping Mall located at the Kwame Nkrumah Circle for the reengineering of the drainage system to prevent periodic flooding of the area when it rains.
The Mayor gave the directive on Thursday when he visited the mall as part of his routine plan to engage traders in the markets, know their challenges as well as opinions on ways to manage waste.
He noted that the engineering of the drainage system would ensure the free flow of rain water that normally floods the mall and meander its way into the Odorna drain one of the major channel into the Atlantic Ocean.
Mr. Sowah expressed his displeasure at some individuals who had illegally taken over some spaces in the market and converted them into toilet and bathing facilities which prevented the exiting of rain water. In view of this, he directed the removal of the facilities to make way for the smooth passage of rain water especially when there was an existing wash room facilities provided in the market.
In an interaction with traders of the Mall he assured that the construction of the drains at Odorna Market would soon be completed to reduce the volumes of rain water that find its way into the mall to prevent flooding and urged the traders to keep their surroundings clean.
The Mayor also visited the Odorna market and inspected the construction of a storm drain at the market.
Former President Jerry John Rawlings has rubbished a Daily Guide newspaper report that he [Rawlings] said, former President Mahama led a corrupt regime.
The Daily Guide newspaper this week published a story, which said former President Mahama led a corrupt regime when he was president.
The paper quoted Mr Rawlings saying: hat President Akufo-Addo took over from the erstwhile John Mahama administration in 2017 at a time the country was already drowning in corruption with impunity.
“By the time this administration came into office, the country was literally drowning in the practice of corruption with impunity. This administration has, therefore, inherited a national corruption at its worst,” Daily Guide claimed Mr Rawlings had said.
But the former president has refuted the publication describing the content as the figment of the writer's own imagination.
“The attention of the office of former President Jerry John Rawlings has been drawn to a publication by the Daily Guide newspaper of Thursday, November 8, 2018 captioned ‘Mahama led a corrupt regime – Rawlings’.
“The office wishes to state that Flt Lt Rawlings did not meet former Sierra Leonean Vice President Chief Sam Sumana ‘over the weekend’ as reported.
“The last time Chief Sam Sumana called on former President Rawlings was in late 2017.
“We caution the media to desist from dragging the name of the former President into imaginary circumstances.”
Ghana Bodybuilding and fitness Association (GBFA) President, Abdul Hay Yartey, is in Spain, Alicante to attend an International federation for bodybuilding (IFBB) congress
Led by President Santonja the IFBB Executive committee celebrated its annual meeting on 8th November as part of their opening official activity for the 72th world bodybuilding championships and annual congress that are been held in Spain
According to Yartey, the president of the federation was not happy when he saw him alone as he was expecting to see Ghanaian Athletes with him.
He also disclosed that the IFBB President was expecting to see the six athletes who represented Ghana and won gold medals in South Africa in somewhere May with including Cyril Kofi who was the overall best at the tournament.
Several countries like China, Turkey, Jordan, Kenya, Slovakia, U.S.A, South Africa etc. have arrived to partake in this year’s congress.
‘’Seeing these countries have motivated me to bring our athletes to compete in next year championship, he said.
He continued: ‘’the GBFA needs financial assistance to help develop the sports in the country. As the president of IFBB witnessed in South Africa we have a lot of potential athletes and we will be happy if the government and other corporate organizations come to our aid to help these athletes
The championship starts on Saturday 8th November 2018 at Benalom Palace Hall in Spain.
By: Isaac Mortey (Intern, Rainbow Radio).
A former National Security Advisor under the late President Evans John Atta Mills, Brigadier General Nunoo Mensah, has reiterated that Ghanaians are angry with the poor leadership in the country and will only respond through violence if proper measures are not adopted.
The former military officer told Kwame Tutu in an interview on Frontline on Rainbow Radio 87.5Fm that, there is rising level of anger in the country and the reactions that will follow will not be surprising.
In his view, if we do not resolve the concerns by angry Ghanaians then God help us as a country.
‘’I am not surprised at the anger of Ghanaians. They will continue to get angry and respond with violence. If we do not resolve the challenges, then we will witness more violence in Ghana.’’
The Ministry of Interior in consultation with the Northern Regional Security Council has placed a curfew on Napkachie and its surrounding communities in the Yendi Municipality after the Kokomba Dagomba clash.
One person was killed with two others severely injured after a clash between the two groups at Nakpachie in the Yendi Municipality.
About five houses have been torched in the conflict, forcing residents to flee their homes to Yendi and other surrounding towns, Rainbow Radio’s Prince Kwame Tamakloe has reported.
He said police and military personnel have been deployed to the area to maintain law and order.
Narrating the incident on Nyankonton Mu Nsem, Prince Kwame Tamakloe said, a dispute ensued on Wednesday, 7 November 2018 when a drove of pigs of a Konkomba man trampled the maize farm of a Dagomba man.
Enraged by the destruction, the Dagomba man shot and killed one of the pigs, sparking a conflagration between the two ethnic groups.
With the aid of his kinsmen, the pig farmer tried to snatch the gun from the maize farmer. A Dagomba man’s leg was shot in the struggle.
This led to a reprisal attack by the Dagombas. He added.
An associate professor at the University of Ghana (UG) Legon, Prtofessor Ransford Gyampo, is advocating for t5he dissolution of the entire Nana Addo led administration.
Professor Gyampo in a post said the current administration has failed in allowing people to be killed on the highway before issuing a statement to fix the problem.
According to him, it is unfortunate for government to allow people to spontaneously stage a demonstration in protest of another death recorded on Thursday.
In a Facebook post, the outspoken professor slammed government for failing to heed to calls by residents and said:’’Government heard the complaints about the accidents on the Madina-Adenta Road & did nothing until the people demonstrated and and there were casualties including loss of lives and injuries inflicted by the police on people who were drawing attention to their plight.
Can we call for the dissolution of the government?
Dissolving a Governing Council because of study demonstration only exposes a certain hidden agenda beyond the rather ignorant explanations being bandied around by some inexperienced appointees who have no clue about University administration and the rationale/spirit behind the nature and composition of Governing Councils of public universities.’’
Meanwhile, a statement issued by the joint Inter-ministerial committee on has assured residents work on the footbridges will commence in a week.
‘’Traffic signal lights and street lighting are also to be fixed to improve visibility on the corridor,’’ the statement said.
It added that: ‘’Work on the uncompleted bridges is expected to commence within a week. Work is to be done on an accelerated basis with multiple contractors to ensure quick completion. This is in accordance with already commenced processes prior to the unfortunate incident that occurred on Thursday.’’
The National Road Safety Commission is to also intensify its education and sensitization programs targeting drivers and pedestrians along the corridor.