A sister to one of the kidnapped Takoradi girls has thrown salvos at the police over its failure to rescue the missing girls.
Ruth Quayson says she was disappointed in the police and the speed at which they applied din rescuing the kidnapped Canadian girls few days they were declared missing.
She was of the view that authorities in Ghana value the lives of foreigners more than that of Ghanaians.
She has therefore asked government to find the missing girls because it has been almost a year they went missing.
“We are already disappointed they way they have handled our sisters issues, because we all know our leaders in Ghana treat Foreigners specially, we are very disappointed and we are warning Government, at the end of the day we are the citizens here and we will vote.” she said.
Over the weekend, a group calling itself Western Youth for Justice in the Western Region gave the government a 14-day ultimatum to rescue the three missing girls in Takoradi or face their wrath.
The group over the weekend demonstrated in Takoradi to impress upon the government and the various security agencies to find the missing girls.
“We are giving them until the 25th of this month. If we don’t hear anything from them in the next 14 days, we will mobilize and go straight to the Flagstaff house to demand answers. It’s very serious and surprising as far as these kidnappings and insecurity issues are concerned because we have many government appointees in charge of security. How can they not locate these girls after 12 solid months? Till date, we have not heard anything from the President or IGP,” leader of the group, John Entia said at the demonstration.
Meanwhile, The two Canadian nationals who were abducted last week have been rescued.
A team of top national security operatives rescued the duo from the kidnappers in a fierce gun battle at a hideout at slums in Kumasi.
Special Operations team from National Security took over operations to rescue the girls on the evening of Monday, June 10.
Briefing the press Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said eight suspects, made up of five Ghanaians and three Nigerians have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of the two Canadian women.
“A third Nigerian believed to be the leader of the gang was arrested later at a separate location…5 Ghanaians and 3 Nigerians are in custody for this incident.”
“One of the suspects is reported to have sustained minor injuries. Other investigations and possible arrests are still on-going. The victims have been flown to Accra. They have been in contact with the Canadian authorities and are under-going the necessary evaluations following the traumatic incident.”