Saturday, August 8, 2026
Rainbow Radio
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
  • Home
  • General News
  • Governance
  • Sports
  • Politics
  • Health
  • Entertainment
  • Economy
No Result
View All Result
Rainbow Radio Online
Home World

Indonesia earthquake: Many schoolchildren killed as toll soars to 268

November 22, 2022
QQQQ

The earthquake and subsequent aftershocks brought down many buildings

    Many of those killed and injured in a major earthquake on the Indonesian island of Java were children, rescuers say, as the death toll soars to 268.

    Aprizal Mulyadi, 14, was at school when the quake hit, saying he was trapped after “the room collapsed and my legs were buried under the rubble”.

    RelatedPosts

    Trump imposes 15% tariff on key chip material to counter China

    Seven killed after Thai teen shooter opens fire at home and school

    Senegal court jails three TikTok influencers for insulting the president

    He said he was pulled to safety by his friend Zulfikar, who later died after himself becoming trapped.

    More than 1,000 people were wounded, officials say.

    In its latest announcements on Tuesday, the National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) added that 151 people were still missing.

    It also said that 22,000 houses had been damaged, and that more than 58,000 people had taken shelter in several locations in the region.

    The 5.6 magnitude quake struck a mountainous region on Monday, causing landslides that buried entire villages near the West Java town of Cianjur.

    Victims were crushed or trapped after walls and roofs caved in. “It all happened so fast,” Aprizal told AFP news agency.

    A representative of the National Search and Rescue Agency also confirmed that many of the dead were young people.

    “Most of the casualties are children because at 1pm, they were still at school,” said Henri Alfiandi.

    A collapsed school building in Cianjur, West Java
    Image caption,A collapsed school building in Cianjur

    The earthquake, which struck at a shallow depth of 10km (six miles), was followed by dozens of aftershocks which caused more damage as poorly built homes collapsed.

    In the village of Cibereum, a family was trying to retrieve the body of their eldest son – a 28-year-old man who had been crushed when the other levels of the home fell on him.

    Rescuers struggled to sift the rubble.

    “We have to dig through the concrete of the second floor that crushed the victim. But we have seen the body,” a military official, Sergeant Payakun told the BBC.

    Two photos show houses in Nyalindung village, Cianjur, West Java - before Monday's quake, and collapsed or damaged afterwards

    President Joko Widodo visited the remote disaster zone on Tuesday where he was pictured with responders.

    “My instruction is to prioritise evacuating victims that are still trapped under rubble,” he said.

    Hundreds of police and other rescuers are taking part in the rescue effort. Mr Jokowi pledged compensation to affected communities.

    Earthquakes are common in Indonesia, which sits on the “ring of fire” area of tectonic activity in the Pacific.

    The country has a history of devastating tremors and tsunamis, with more than 2,000 people killed in a 2018 earthquake on the island of Sulawesi.

    Map showing location of earthquake in Indonesia

    Source: BBC

    ShareTweetShareShare

    Related Posts

    image-990-754x424

    Trump imposes 15% tariff on key chip material to counter China

    August 7, 2026
    image-991-754x424

    Seven killed after Thai teen shooter opens fire at home and school

    August 7, 2026
    image-1286-635x424-1-635x375

    Senegal court jails three TikTok influencers for insulting the president

    August 7, 2026
    TUTU

    25 states sue Trump administration over latest round of tariffs

    August 4, 2026
    30090

    Mali’s former prime minister announces release from prison

    August 4, 2026
    image-155-562x424

    At least 25 killed after a passenger bus overturns in Algeria

    August 3, 2026

    Recent News

    Screenshot_20260808_151053_Facebook

    Ablekuma South MP Alfred Okoe Vanderpuije is the constituency’s worst-performing lawmaker, says ‘Sir Cockroach’

    August 8, 2026
    TEACHER

    Deal with student indiscipline before Teachers abandon classrooms – Ex-GNAT President warns

    August 8, 2026
    108202571313-txobsfer5l-dr-justice-srem-sai

    Bribery Scandal: Ghana AG partners US authorities to prosecute local accomplices after Berko’s conviction

    August 8, 2026
    Screenshot_20260806_135736_Facebook

    ‘NPP’s Demo an Assembly of drug-infused ghetto boys and girls’ – NDC’s Anthony Nukpenu

    August 8, 2026
    • Trending
    • Comments
    • Latest
    Muntaka-750x375

    Monday, March 31, and Tuesday, April 1, 2025, declared as public holidays

    March 23, 2025
    Screenshot_20230811-133044

    17-year-old boy caught having sex with a pregnant dog

    August 11, 2023

    Something drastic must be done about prices of property in Ghana-Lawyer

    June 14, 2021
    image-27

    Business Committee of Parliament constituted with Ato Forson as Chairman

    January 10, 2025

    Hello world!

    Screenshot_20260808_151053_Facebook

    Ablekuma South MP Alfred Okoe Vanderpuije is the constituency’s worst-performing lawmaker, says ‘Sir Cockroach’

    travel4

    Washington prepares for Donald Trump’s big moment

    travel1

    CS:GO ELeague Major pools and tournament schedule announced

    Screenshot_20260808_151053_Facebook

    Ablekuma South MP Alfred Okoe Vanderpuije is the constituency’s worst-performing lawmaker, says ‘Sir Cockroach’

    August 8, 2026
    TEACHER

    Deal with student indiscipline before Teachers abandon classrooms – Ex-GNAT President warns

    August 8, 2026
    108202571313-txobsfer5l-dr-justice-srem-sai

    Bribery Scandal: Ghana AG partners US authorities to prosecute local accomplices after Berko’s conviction

    August 8, 2026
    Screenshot_20260806_135736_Facebook

    ‘NPP’s Demo an Assembly of drug-infused ghetto boys and girls’ – NDC’s Anthony Nukpenu

    August 8, 2026

    Stay Connected test

    • 136 Followers
    • 20.2k Followers
    • 206k Subscribers
    • 23.9k Followers
    • 99 Subscribers
    Rainbow Radio Online

    © 2022 Rainbow Radio International

    Navigate Site

    • General News
    • World
    • Sports
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Politics
    • Health
    • Opinion
    • Economy
    • Odd News
    • Culture
    • Lifestyle
    • Lifestyle
    • Governance
    • Technology

    Follow Us

    No Result
    View All Result

    © 2022 Rainbow Radio International

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.
    Go to mobile version