Members of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) have rejected claims that traders occupying the one-storey material stores building at the 31st December Makola Market are being forcefully ejected to make way for a redevelopment project.
Speaking at a press conference in Accra, the presiding member of the assembly, Hon. Musah Ziyad, flanked by both elected and appointed assembly members, stated that the ongoing exercise was part of a planned redevelopment initiative and not a forced eviction, as claimed by some traders.
He said the project was intended to transform the existing one-storey material stores into a four-storey modern market facility to create trading spaces, particularly for traders currently operating along roadsides, pavements and other unauthorised areas within the Central Business District.
Hon. Ziyad, who is also the assemblyman for the Amamomo Electoral Area, said contrary to claims that the affected traders had not been engaged, the redevelopment process had been preceded by extensive stakeholder consultations, meetings and notices involving traders, shop owners, market leaders and other affected persons.
According to him, following the assumption of office by the Mayor of Accra, Hon. Michael Kpakpo Allotey, the AMA initiated measures to decongest streets and pavements through the red line policy, and as part of efforts to provide alternative spaces for affected traders, the Mayor, in consultation with the General Assembly, proposed the creation of additional market spaces and business avenues within the city.
He disclosed that on Monday, June 30, 2025, the General Assembly approved the decision to redevelop some structures in existing markets to create space for petty traders who could not afford the high capital requirements for shops, with the material stores near the Ghana National Fire Service Metro Station identified as one of the first projects.
The Presiding Member said on 27th August, 2025, all occupants of the 31st December Makola Market material stores were invited to a stakeholder meeting, where the redevelopment decision was formally communicated to them.
According to the assembly members, temporary relocation arrangements had been made for affected traders to move to a proposed site at the community centre to enable construction works to begin on the redevelopment of the 31st December Makola Market material stores.
He disclosed that as part of efforts to ensure transparency and proper documentation, the Assembly had compiled a verified album of 306 traders occupying the affected area, including those operating around the periphery of the project zone, to guide future relocation, engagement and allocation arrangements.
He added that affected traders were assured of allocation after the project, while store occupants were to be given discounts on the rent payable after completion, stressing that recognised shop owners and legitimate allottees would be given priority consideration during the allocation process.
The Presiding Member said the Mayor granted the traders additional time to temporarily relocate after further appeals, extending the grace period from October 2025 to January 12, 2026, and maintained that the Assembly remained committed to continuous engagement, fairness and the protection of traders’ livelihoods while delivering a modern, safe and organised market facility in the collective interest of Accra’s growth and development.
By: Rainbowradioonline.com/Ghana
