According to the Vice President, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia, a briefing from the Ghana National Fire Service indicates that a fire started by a trader cooking at the new Kejetia market last week caused the inferno at the facility.
The Vice President said this when he visited the market to interact with the affected traders.
The shop owner was cooking inside her shop when the petrol cylinder she was using caught fire and spread to a nearby chemical shop, destroying 33 of the market’s 8,000 shops.
He went on to say that the chemical shop owner, among other things, sells combustibles such as carbide, turpentine, and gunpowder, all of which exploded.
He added that this was discovered following a preliminary investigation by the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) in collaboration with the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO).
“We are here to empathise with you following the fire that gutted the market. We are equally affected by the sad situation, that’s why I’m here today to show my concerns. I was taken around the market by the GNFS, NADMO officials, and they told me that through their investigations, the market caught fire as a result of cooking by one of the traders whose shop was close to a nearby chemical shop, where they sell gunpowder, carbide, turpentine that resulted in the explosion,” the Vice President narrated.
“The fire officers told me that the fire was not caused by an electrical fault but the cooking of food by the shop owner inside her shop, that’s where the fire started”.